UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Signs Vladdy Matyushenko

4/17/13 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://themmareport.com/2013/04/bellator-signs-vladimir-matyushenko/

Bellator MMA has former UFC light heavyweight Vladimir Matyushenko to a multi-fight, multi-year contract.

Bellator MMA Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney confirmed the signing to TheMMAReport.com on Wednesday.

“He came in and met with us,” Rebney said. “We sat here in the office and we had a really long meeting. He is convinced at this stage of his career that he is at a place that he can really still excel and compete at a very high level.”

Matyushenko (26-7) was released by the UFC in February after he lost back to back fights in the organization. This was his second stint with the UFC, which he had a record of 4-3. His last two victories came by TKO/KO in the first round and his last five fights have not made it out of the first round.

“Bellator is one of the biggest promotions in the world, and to be associated with them is an honor,” Matyushenko said. “I am optimistic and excited to work with Bellator. The amount of respect and honor I felt from Bjorn and the entire Bellator team was tremendous, and getting into the Bellator cage and cementing my legacy as a Bellator World Champion is the only thing on my mind.”

Matyushenko was cut from the UFC at the same time that Jon Fitch was released, but Bellator elected to pass on signing Fitch. Rebney stated in the past that signing fighters from the UFC is done on a case by case basis and he feels that Matyushenko fits into their light heavyweight division.

“The guy is 26-7. If you look down the list of the loses, he has lost to big names. When he loses, he loses to guys with very big names and he thinks he stay has gas in the tank. He feels that literally a couple of very good years left in front of him right now to compete at a very high level.”

“He looked at 205, we have the Emanuel Newton’s of the world, Mikhail Zayats and then we have [King] Mo coming back, Babalu and people like that. He just fit into this 205 division right now. We have extremely well known names and we got guys who can compete at a very high level that nobody has ever heard of and are working up that ladder real quick.”

Matyushenko will make his Bellator debut later this year in Bellator during the Summer Series or at the beginning of season nine in the fall. Unlike King Mo and Babalu, he will not be immediately placed into a tournament and could be a participant during a 2014 light heavyweight tournament.
4/17/13 8:06 PM
Chromium
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should have never been cut from the UFC in the first place.

4/17/13 8:09 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great sign. Happy for Vladdy! Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 8:10 PM
shaqitup
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of sucks that he got cut tbh, he's a vet, and its not like he lost to lower tier guys,

he lost to a top contender in Gustafsson and i know people don't give him much credit but bader is no joke.

4/17/13 8:12 PM
Chris27

Yeah I dont think the cut was terrible or anything but he probably could have been given another shot.

he cant beat the best guys but you could have used him to test a prospect against or fill a prelim spot vs a mid level guy.

Bellator is probably a better fit for him though, outside of Mo, Newton and Vegh, Vladdy can probably beat everyone else.

4/17/13 8:14 PM
bobby boulders
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's great. Deepens their LHW. Older gent, but still fights at a pretty high level. Perfect fit for Bellator IMO. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 8:15 PM
DanTheWolfman

ttt good like Vladdy
4/17/13 8:15 PM
Chris27

Also appears Bellator has cut 9 more fighters, they cut like 27 guys a few weeks ago and now 9 more.

Bruno Carvalho
Darrell Horcher
Murad Machaev
Thiago Michel
Rene Nazare
Waachiim Spiritwolf
Vitor Vianna
Matt Van Buren
Travis Wiuff

Horcher lost one fight and they cut him, dam.
4/17/13 8:16 PM
Pride Wanderlei

Chromium -

He should have never been cut from the UFC in the first place.

Vote up.

Bad move by the UFC, happy to see Vladdy in a good promotion. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 8:17 PM
Pancake Syrup
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice. But i kinda wanted to see him retire
4/17/13 8:17 PM
Humanityisthedevil
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad the Janitor is getting paid, and still set to fight decent competition.
4/17/13 8:18 PM
MMALOGIC

He belongs in bellator.

4/17/13 8:24 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Am I crazy for thinking that he could go up in weight and tear through their HW division?
4/17/13 8:30 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Really thought Vladdy was gonna retire. Phone Post
4/17/13 8:35 PM
Public got Bigg Riggd

VIDS is he good? Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 8:41 PM
the geek
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear, I love me some Vladdy.
4/17/13 8:58 PM
MMALOGIC

Roy Batty - Am I crazy for thinking that he could go up in weight and tear through their HW division?

no your not.Vladdy could probably beat all of them in one night.

4/17/13 9:05 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aw. :/

Wanted to see matyushenko in wsof Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 9:07 PM
Tat2tillidie
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Yeah I dont think the cut was terrible or anything but he probably could have been given another shot.

he cant beat the best guys but you could have used him to test a prospect against or fill a prelim spot vs a mid level guy.

Bellator is probably a better fit for him though, outside of Mo, Newton and Vegh, Vladdy can probably beat everyone else.

Yup ... Vu for you and op Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 9:07 PM
Tat2tillidie
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao you are op ^_____^ Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 10:05 PM
esch99
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent news... makes me more excited to watch Bellator!
4/17/13 10:10 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LHW Tourney in the summer?

Mo
M'Pumbu
Babalu
Vladdy

?
4/17/13 10:52 PM
minotauro11
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Also appears Bellator has cut 9 more fighters, they cut like 27 guys a few weeks ago and now 9 more.

Bruno Carvalho
Darrell Horcher
Murad Machaev
Thiago Michel
Rene Nazare
Waachiim Spiritwolf
Vitor Vianna
Matt Van Buren
Travis Wiuff

I can't believe they cut Michel! He didn't look good against Sarnavskiy but the guy is a killer on the feet, always fun to watch, and he's young. There aren't that many pure Muay Thai fighters around these days, I wish they kept him on. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 10:55 PM
Chris27

minotauro11 - 
Chris27 - Also appears Bellator has cut 9 more fighters, they cut like 27 guys a few weeks ago and now 9 more.

Bruno Carvalho
Darrell Horcher
Murad Machaev
Thiago Michel
Rene Nazare
Waachiim Spiritwolf
Vitor Vianna
Matt Van Buren
Travis Wiuff

I can't believe they cut Michel! He didn't look good against Sarnavskiy but the guy is a killer on the feet, always fun to watch, and he's young. There aren't that many pure Muay Thai fighters around these days, I wish they kept him on. Phone Post 3.0

A few weeks ago it was reported they also made these cuts.

HW- Josh Burns, Kevin Asplund
LHW- Roy Boughton, Martin Desilets, Chris Davis, Anthony Gomez
MW- Sultan Aliev, Kelvin Tiller, Cortez Coleman, Brennan Ward, Matt Jones
WW- Carlos Pereira, Jose Gomes, Koffi Adzitso, Raul Amaya, Michael Tsarev
LW- E.J. Brooks, Ferrid Kheder, Damon Jackson,Rich Clementi(retired)
FW- Mike Corey, Mitch Jackson, Magomed Saadulaev, Kenny Foster, Eric Larkin
BW- Chase Beebe, Kenny Foster
4/17/13 11:08 PM
the geek
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - 
minotauro11 - 

Bruno Carvalho
Darrell Horcher
Murad Machaev
Thiago Michel
Rene Nazare
Waachiim Spiritwolf
Vitor Vianna
Matt Van Buren
Travis Wiuff

A few weeks ago it was reported they also made these cuts.

HW- Josh Burns, Kevin Asplund
LHW- Roy Boughton, Martin Desilets, Chris Davis, Anthony Gomez
MW- Sultan Aliev, Kelvin Tiller, Cortez Coleman, Brennan Ward, Matt Jones
WW- Carlos Pereira, Jose Gomes, Koffi Adzitso, Raul Amaya, Michael Tsarev
LW- E.J. Brooks, Ferrid Kheder, Damon Jackson,Rich Clementi(retired)
FW- Mike Corey, Mitch Jackson, Magomed Saadulaev, Kenny Foster, Eric Larkin
BW- Chase Beebe, Kenny Foster

Damn, thats  a lot of fighters.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.