UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: Aside from Cain, Jones is the best

4/17/13 10:43 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Daniel Cormier is set to make his UFC debut this weekend against former Champion Frank Mir. Although winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grandprix, Cormier has expressed interest in moving to the lightheavyweight division and perhaps a shot at the man he considers the best in MMA today:

According to Cormier, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones is the king of kings when it comes to MMA:

"I think really Cain, but just so it's not like I'm picking my teammate, I think the best guy right now honestly is Jon Jones. He's the best right now, and he's gotten better because he's learned to fight with his length. Complement that with his cardio and physical gifts, and he's the best guy."

read entire article...

4/17/13 11:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree in that I think he's the most talented fighter in MMA, but achievement-wise I still can't put him ahead of Andy.

4/17/13 11:47 PM
blupitt
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

I agree in that I think he's the most talented fighter in MMA, but achievement-wise I still can't put him ahead of Andy.

Prett much /thread lol Phone Post
4/17/13 11:51 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blupitt - 

Prett much /thread lol Phone Post

This

4/18/13 12:20 AM
aka_rtotheoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

those ^ Phone Post
4/18/13 12:50 AM
91W209
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ these Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 12:53 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This! Phone Post
4/18/13 1:13 AM
minotauro11
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'd still put Anderson ahead talent wise as well. Both have a small hole in their game that they make up for with mastery elsewhere (wrestling for Anderson made up for with BJJ, and vice versa for Jones), both are masters at controlling distance, and both look unbeatable.

Anderson's striking though, is some otherworldly stuff. What he did to Vitor, Forrest, Leben, Cote, etc. is stuff that you would only see in movies. The guy's reflexes and timing are just unbelievable. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 1:22 AM
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - I think I'd still put Anderson ahead talent wise as well. Both have a small hole in their game that they make up for with mastery elsewhere (wrestling for Anderson made up for with BJJ, and vice versa for Jones), both are masters at controlling distance, and both look unbeatable.

Anderson's striking though, is some otherworldly stuff. What he did to Vitor, Forrest, Leben, Cote, etc. is stuff that you would only see in movies. The guy's reflexes and timing are just unbelievable. Phone Post 3.0

No doubt - Anderson's by far the best striker MMA has ever seen. I'm gonna have to disagree with you calling JBJ's BJJ weak though. He's been in one submission attempt in his entire career, and already has more UFC submissions (and the same number of career submissions) as Anderson despite many less fights. He's submitted good BJJers too.

People always point to Vitor's attempted armbar as a sign that JBJ has weak BJJ, and yet they conveniently forget to mention that Jon actually submitted Vitor later in that fight - only the 2nd time Vitor has ever been submitted.

Anderson has been submitted twice, and while I'll concede that he's improved since then, I don't really see how you can call his BJJ significantly better than Jon's.

I personally think that from a pure talent perspective, Jon is slightly ahead of Anderson. Reasonable men can differ though.

4/18/13 1:24 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think anyone can survive 25 minutes with Anderson. He may not be the most well rounded, but he's the best. Phone Post
4/18/13 1:27 AM

^Even Erick Silva?

4/18/13 1:31 AM
brahmabull81
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes...... Even Erick Silva....
4/18/13 1:33 AM

I dunno man.... OTSS loves him some Erick Silva....

4/18/13 4:37 AM
UGCTT_nightkap
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRMartin11 - for now anderson is still more skilled.
This^ Plus, Andy isn't abnormally large for a mw. Yes he may be a little taller than some. But size wise, he's not. His reach advantage on most other mws is negligible compared to what jbj has on his opponents. Andy wins in striking, bjj, and overall skill imo.
JBJ on the other hand has great wrestling with some good, and improving, striking. Especially his kicks & elbows. But its really his size and reach advantage that make him so much more dominant. Standing guillotine anyone!
But at the end of the day Silva takes most of the categories. ..and the fight imo. Phone Post
4/18/13 4:39 AM
Bisping decisioned my SN

While ando maybe more skilled jones eats Silva for breakfast. Silva wants none Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 4:48 AM
Phisher

UGCTT_nightkap - 
This^ Plus, Andy isn't abnormally large for a mw. Yes he may be a little taller than some. But size wise, he's not. His reach advantage on most other mws is negligible compared to what jbj has on his opponents. Andy wins in striking, bjj, and overall skill imo.
JBJ on the other hand has great wrestling with some good, and improving, striking. Especially his kicks & elbows. But its really his size and reach advantage that make him so much more dominant. Standing guillotine anyone!
But at the end of the day Silva takes most of the categories. ..and the fight imo. Phone Post

If Jones' body type is the real secret to his success, why aren't guys like Cyrille Diabate, Don Hornbuckle, Walel Watson, Pablo Garza, George Roop, Corey Hill etc. etc. tearing up their respective weight classes.

I find it bizarre that people keep insisting Jones is only dominant because his body type when most of the other tall, lanky guys with large wingspans relative to their opponents in their respective divisions are mediocre fighters.

4/18/13 6:58 AM
KingD87
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - I don't think anyone can survive 25 minutes with Anderson. He may not be the most well rounded, but he's the best. Phone Post
How can you say that when people already have? Anderson is the best in the world today but it's not like he's rapidly improved in the last few years to the point where nobody can survive. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 7:43 AM
eljamaiquino

JBJ has nowhere near the striking and sub game of Silva. Silva is great at striking and bjj, mediocre in wrestling. Jbj is great at wrestling with mediocre striking and bjj. Bones can't even slip a punch for cripes' sake. He does share the ability to control distance like Silva does..... Phone Post
4/18/13 10:44 AM
minotauro11
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - I think I'd still put Anderson ahead talent wise as well. Both have a small hole in their game that they make up for with mastery elsewhere (wrestling for Anderson made up for with BJJ, and vice versa for Jones), both are masters at controlling distance, and both look unbeatable.

No doubt - Anderson's by far the best striker MMA has ever seen. I'm gonna have to disagree with you calling JBJ's BJJ weak though. He's been in one submission attempt in his entire career, and already has more UFC submissions (and the same number of career submissions) as Anderson despite many less fights. He's submitted good BJJers too.

People always point to Vitor's attempted armbar as a sign that JBJ has weak BJJ, and yet they conveniently forget to mention that Jon actually submitted Vitor later in that fight - only the 2nd time Vitor has ever been submitted.

Anderson has been submitted twice, and while I'll concede that he's improved since then, I don't really see how you can call his BJJ significantly better than Jon's.

I personally think that from a pure talent perspective, Jon is slightly ahead of Anderson. Reasonable men can differ though.

True but a lot of those come from over powering his opponents or capitalizing when they are rocked or broke. I don't think his BJJ is weak i just think it's the weakest part of his game. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:29 AM
SHOOTMedia
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC on TheSHOOT!

4/18/13 11:34 AM
SQUEEZIE

jbj smashes andy. jbj vs cain/dc are fights i would love to see at heavy in bout a year...unless dc can safely cut to lhw.
4/18/13 12:24 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flipmode -
Phisher - 
UGCTT_nightkap - 

If Jones' body type is the real secret to his success, why aren't guys like Cyrille Diabate, Don Hornbuckle, Walel Watson, Pablo Garza, George Roop, Corey Hill etc. etc. tearing up their respective weight classes.

I find it bizarre that people keep insisting Jones is only dominant because his body type when most of the other tall, lanky guys with large wingspans relative to their opponents in their respective divisions are mediocre fighters.

He didn't say he is 'only' dominant because of size.

No doubt Jones is one of the most skilled fighters in MMA.

But none of those you listed are exceptionally athletic.

They are all lanky or skinny guys who cut loads of weight, that's a bit different to being a massive super athlete with a Usain Bolt body lols
Thank you sir Phone Post
4/18/13 3:00 PM

eljamaiquino - 

JBJ has nowhere near the striking and sub game of Silva. Silva is great at striking and bjj, mediocre in wrestling. Jbj is great at wrestling with mediocre striking and bjj. Bones can't even slip a punch for cripes' sake. He does share the ability to control distance like Silva does..... Phone Post

Anderson is easily the better striker of the two. Jones is still very good at striking though. He may not have the awe-inspiring defensive skills that Silva has, but he's outstruck Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Machida, and Vitor all fairly easily. There's no way you can call his striking mediocre.

His aggregate MMA game is better than Silva's, IMO.

4/18/13 4:08 PM
eljamaiquino

eljamaiquino - 

Anderson is easily the better striker of the two. Jones is still very good at striking though. He may not have the awe-inspiring defensive skills that Silva has, but he's outstruck Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Machida, and Vitor all fairly easily. There's no way you can call his striking mediocre.

His aggregate MMA game is better than Silva's, IMO.

He turned his back and ran from Rampage. He's not setting up combos. He keeps at the range where he can touch his opponents, but they can't touch him. He doesn't cut angles at all.....

Using range well is a skill in itself, but it's not the same thing as striking skill...n Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.