UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier eyes menacing cut to 205

4/18/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

I have reffed, judged, cornered, and very occasionally fought in many hundreds of MMA bouts. I am regularly asked what was the worst injury I ever saw from within the cage. The crazy thing is, you couldn't even see it.

He was a first time fighter, a little older, and a little big. I taped his hands before the rules meeting, as his corner didn't know how to. He did okay the first round, could hit pretty hard. Towards the end of the first, things were not going his way, but I didn't end it.

Very early in the second, he didn't not want to be there, and something felt wrong, so I stopped it, although he was not in imminent danger. There was little protest, and then he went back to the locker room with his brother.

He passed out there, and an ambulance was called. Then, in the ambulance, his heart stopped. He was airlifted to Boston. The diagnosis renal failure.

There was a wait, day after day, to see if he kidneys started again. If they did not, he would be on dialysis, for the rest of his life. The good news at that point was that he had lived.

He had never cut before. After a little research, he went on the Atkins Diet. Protein is tough on the kidneys. Then he cut water weight, which placed further demands on the renal system. Then, under the heat of TV lights, his kidneys stopped, right in the middle of a fight.

Eventually his kidneys started, but he never fought again.

Dehydration can fatally affect more than the kidneys. Dehydrated brains are more dangerous still. In boxing and MMA, same day weigh ins are a thing of the past, but it took Duk Koo Kim's death.

Kim took a 14 round beating from Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini the same day he made a brutal cut down to 135 lbs.

Without sufficient time to rehydrate before the fight, Kim's dried up brain slammed against his skull with every clean blow, for 14 rounds. Kim died four days later.

Day before weigh ins have largely solved the potentailly fatal issue of cutting and brain trauma.

But the dangers of cutting on the kidneys remain, and can happen to the most experienced and carefully monitored athletes in the world.

UFC heavyweight Daniel Cormier had to miss his shot at Olympic gold in 2008 when his kidneys failed in Beijing. It nearly killed him. Cormier was cutting weight to compete at 211 lbs.

The symptoms of Acute Renal Failure (ARF) include dry mouth, lack of urine, headache, lower back pain, nausea, and drowsiness.  ARF can be treated with fluids and a quick rehydration, but it can also become Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) if the fighter's kidneys give out from the strain.

"It was very scary," Cormier told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com of his Olympic experience. "I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn't recover from the weight cut."

"I had been cutting weight for a really long time. I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. ... Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary."

Cormer, 34, who makes his UFC debut against Frank Mir at heavyweight at UFC on FOX 7 Saturday night, has a carrot and sticks prodding him to drop to light heavyweight. Cormier does not want to fight AKA teammate and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, and he does want to fight UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and at 5' 10" he is remarkably short for heavyweight.

"Physically, I'm different now," said Cormier. "When I was saying that I couldn't make light heavyweight, it wasn't happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing seven, eight pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I'm 234 pounds. That's almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I'm lighter now than even when I was wrestling."

First of course, he has to fight Frank Mir under the lights on Saturday night.

"I think I have to just get through this fight and then see what happens next," said Cormier. "I'm going to fight with my heart and soul and give you everything I have to win this fight against Frank and continue to build to hopefully one day be the UFC champion."

Mixed martial arts is the most compelling sport on Earth to watch, and it is the most compelling sport to do. But playing sports can be dangerous, and mixed martial arts is no exception. Eight people believed to have died from injuries sustained during MMA competitions from 1993 to the present.

Seven athletes have died from injuries sustained while competing in the Olympics - one runner, one cyclist, a boxer, one speed skater, one downhill skier, and two lugers.

Boxing has recorded nearly 1,500 deaths since it's inception in the 1700s.

Auto racing has killed countess drivers, and spectators are not immune. A single accident in 1955 killed approximately 60 spectators, and the driver.

28 people are beiieved to have died running, in marathons alone, in the USA alone, just from 2000-2009. In 2005, four runners died, in a single event, the Great North Run half marathon in the UK.

Cheerleading killed 42 between the fall of 1982 and the spring of 2007.

Danger is a part of life, part of what makes it worth living, but awareness of those dangers is part of our responsibilites as human beings. MMA fighters need to be fuly aware of the dangers of weight cutting before they sign the contract and step on the scale.

4/18/13 10:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FreakDaddy
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT.....My head started to hurt after the first sentence.....
4/18/13 10:59 AM
Kirik
1731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
FreakDaddy - FRAT.....My head started to hurt after the first sentence.....

If you never cut, there is a video of Arianny stripping in an elevator out there that could be of interest :-) If you do cut, it is worth a few minutes of your time.

4/18/13 11:06 AM
FreakDaddy
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see Cormier cut to 205 and fight Jones though.....It would be an interesting one.....
4/18/13 11:16 AM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier is probably the second best best heavyweight currently in the UFC...top 3 without a doubt. If he finishes Mir, then this move down to 205 becomes that much more preposterous. I get that his friend/training partner is the current champion, but there has never been a truly dominant heavyweight champ in the UFC, and Cain himself has already relinquished the title once before.

The kidney failure thing freaks me out.
4/18/13 11:19 AM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont get why everyone wants him to cut to 205 so bad, he has done so well at HW, pretty much destroyed everyone they have put in front of him, lets talk about 205 when he gets handled a few times at HW
4/18/13 11:21 AM
FreakDaddy

Edited: 04/18/13 11:22 AM
Ramon Maroni - I dont get why everyone wants him to cut to 205 so bad, he has done so well at HW, pretty much destroyed everyone they have put in front of him, lets talk about 205 when he gets handled a few times at HW

Well, I would like to see him fight Jones.....That would be my reason, as I am assuming Jones is not coming up to heavyweight yet....Plus, he can't fight for the UFC belt with Cain holding the belt......So it gives him more options is all bro......If he doesn't, then he doesn't.
4/18/13 11:22 AM
SHOOTMedia
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In this piece, DC discusses why he believes his title run will be in the 205lbs division.

4/18/13 11:30 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is a bad dude, will he be fast enough at 205? Phone Post
4/18/13 11:37 AM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After nearly killing himself from kidney failure once already I'm surprised he even wants to consider going through that again.

And to be honest I wouldn't even want to see that fight unless Cormier can successfully prove he can make 205 first. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:51 AM
WOOFticket
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - After nearly killing himself from kidney failure once already I'm surprised he even wants to consider going through that again.

And to be honest I wouldn't even want to see that fight unless Cormier can successfully prove he can make 205 first. Phone Post 3.0
Proper diet 'could possibly' get him down safely. Phone Post
4/18/13 12:32 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreakDaddy - 
Ramon Maroni - I dont get why everyone wants him to cut to 205 so bad, he has done so well at HW, pretty much destroyed everyone they have put in front of him, lets talk about 205 when he gets handled a few times at HW

Well, I would like to see him fight Jones.....That would be my reason, as I am assuming Jones is not coming up to heavyweight yet....Plus, he can't fight for the UFC belt with Cain holding the belt......So it gives him more options is all bro......If he doesn't, then he doesn't.

Jones has stated in the past that he wants to move up and test the waters, and since Cormier is on the smaller side for heavyweights, he would seem to fit the challenge. Two things come to mind immediately when the Jones vs Cormier matchup is discussed, and those are that Cain is champ now, but may not be after his next fight (highly unlikely IMO, but he wasn't able to defend it during his last reign, so you never know), and Jones really should have to fight a top ranked 205 lb'er again at some point.
4/18/13 1:10 PM
8flat
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cut so much once that I ended up in the hospital with irregular heartbeat, super low electrolytes, shit's no fun.
4/18/13 1:13 PM
JerodR
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like good fights but I am not a big fan of fighters cutting so much weight as to endanger their health like that.
4/18/13 2:03 PM
Willin
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally strongly doubt we ever see DC go to 205. I don't know why... just a hunch.

4/18/13 2:07 PM
Vikingknee

FrateCart - Here we go again.

One third of the people saying he should Cut!

One third of the people responding to that statement saying he almost Died from cutting!!!!

And One third saying he doesn't have to cut he just have to go on a solid Diet (which is the truth)

The circle goes around and around. With 1 - 5 people each thread realising he doesn't have to do an unhealthy water/weight cut. Just A normal healthy diet and then maybe a few pounds of water at the very end.

So when the next thread comes around.
It's the same again. But this time a few more people mentioning that he should just go on a solid diet.

Im thinking within 3-5 years 90% have realised he just have to go on a healthy diet.

Honestly, it would probably even be better for cormier to drop a "few" pounds anyway. Better for his kidneys. And healthier.
Vtfu. So much this. People on this forum are regarded and have no idea the difference between losing weight and "cutting". Cormier is fat he could lose 20 lbs easily in pure fat alone. He's built just like me so don't come at me. I'm very comfortable and athletic at 235-245 but could easily diet hard to 220 and dehydrate to 205 ( I cut similar to this in HS to wrestle at 189). He got sick in the Olympics bc he tried cutting a ton of weight while he was way too heavy and out of shape. He said this himself. If he got down to a fully hydrated full 220-225 he can make 205 in 1 day and be fine. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 2:10 PM
Garv
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

He won't be cutting to 205, he'll be walking around at the right weight for fighting at 205.  I'm just wondering if he'll lose his speed avantage at LHW.  Will be very interesting.

4/18/13 2:13 PM
Seats Taken
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vikingknee -
FrateCart - Here we go again.

One third of the people responding to that statement saying he almost Died from cutting!!!!

And One third saying he doesn't have to cut he just have to go on a solid Diet (which is the truth)

The circle goes around and around. With 1 - 5 people each thread realising he doesn't have to do an unhealthy water/weight cut. Just A normal healthy diet and then maybe a few pounds of water at the very end.

It's the same again. But this time a few more people mentioning that he should just go on a solid diet.

Im thinking within 3-5 years 90% have realised he just have to go on a healthy diet.

Honestly, it would probably even be better for cormier to drop a "few" pounds anyway. Better for his kidneys. And healthier.
Vtfu. So much this. People on this forum are regarded and have no idea the difference between losing weight and "cutting". Cormier is fat he could lose 20 lbs easily in pure fat alone. He's built just like me so don't come at me. I'm very comfortable and athletic at 235-245 but could easily diet hard to 220 and dehydrate to 205 ( I cut similar to this in HS to wrestle at 189). He got sick in the Olympics bc he tried cutting a ton of weight while he was way too heavy and out of shape. He said this himself. If he got down to a fully hydrated full 220-225 he can make 205 in 1 day and be fine. Phone Post 3.0
Double VU's Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 4:17 PM
studiocamp
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has he ever talked about his diet?
4/18/13 4:44 PM
Kirik
1731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
superCalo -  Best uG blog item i have ever read, more of this kind of thing please. Phone Post

Thanks man, that means a lot! Took like an hour and Chris and I have to do 6 a day and that took like 34 mins, so I can't do those much, but I really enjoy it, and appreciate the feedback.

4/18/13 5:13 PM
DoomFarmer
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FrateCart - Here we go again.

This post ended the thread.
4/18/13 6:18 PM
FreakDaddy

Kirik - 
FreakDaddy - FRAT.....My head started to hurt after the first sentence.....

If you never cut, there is a video of Arianny stripping in an elevator out there that could be of interest :-) If you do cut, it is worth a few minutes of your time.

I cut many times in my day.......
4/18/13 6:42 PM
ranier wolfcastle
989 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'd imagine he could work off some fat and get very close to 205 without cutting water weight

4/18/13 6:50 PM
Forssberg

Interesting story about the guy with kidney failure.
4/18/13 7:18 PM
nastydirtysavage
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think mike dolce could help him get it done Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.