UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Need HoF profiles for Diaz, Sakurai, & Rolls

4/18/13 8:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/13 3:01 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor

Several hundred profiles are complete for the MMAHallofFame.com. I still need profiles for Nick Diaz, Hayato Sakurai, and Rolls Gracie.

Actually, there are like 50 to go, but asking for 50 seems like too much, so I hoped asking for three might work better :-)

Profiles are generally 2-5 paragraphs in length, but can be longer if you think that is merited. They should not explicitly make the case "Here is why X should be in the Hall of Fame," but rather should honor the figure, touching on the highlights of the individual's contributions to and achievements in MMA.

If any one is interested in doing a profile for one of the figures below, let me know in this thread. Copy would be emailed to Kirik@MMA.tv. Professional writing experience is not a must (there is no budget for the effort, although your twitter etc will be attached to you byline if you want); passion for the subject definitely a must.

Complete list of remaining figures is below, and any can be dibsed. When you dibs a name, please add a target date of completion that works for you.

Scott Adams    
DIBS by mihackler Alvin Aguilar
Bob Cook
DIBS  Letibleu Art Davie
Martijn de Jong
Chris Dolman
Jacob 'Stitch' Duran
Rudimar  Fedrigo
Vadim  Finkelstein
Robert Follis
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
George Gracie
DIBS ttc Rolls Gracie
Jorge Guimaraes
Wallid Ismael
Tokugoro Ito
Dr. John Keating
Trevor Lally
DIBS by ChrisChronic Akira Maeda
Casemerimo 'Rei Zulu'  Martins
Javier Mendez
Bob Meyerowitz
Geo Omori                
DIBS Dan Pagan Remco Pardoel
Euclides Pereira
John Perretti      
DIBS by mihackler Shigeru Saeki
Kazuhiro Sakamoto   
Waldemar  Santana
Ad Santel
Paul Smith
DIBS UGCTT_Dinamita Ed Soares
Eugênio Tadeu
DIBS by UGCTT_SidRival Miguel Torres
Megumi Yabushita

4/18/13 8:40 PM
Steven McTowelie
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could I get a sample or two to get a feel for how people are writing these style-wise?

If so dibs Nick Diaz. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 8:42 PM
Steven McTowelie
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually...dibs Nick Diaz regardless! Can do on Saturday. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 8:47 PM
Kirik
1365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Yuki Nakai • Class of 1993 • Debuted 26 April 1993 vs. Hiroki Noritsugi.

http://mmahalloffame.com/world/Profilepic/judges/yukinakai.jpg

by Matthew Corsey

The MMA stars of today loom large in the sporting world, in part because they are "standing on the shoulders of giants" who have gone before them to pave the way.

Few of those giants cast a larger shadow than a diminutive, soft-spoken gentleman from Japan named Yuki Nakai. His story is a tale of quiet determination and superlative achievement. He has been a world champion. His performance in Vale Tudo Japan 1995 is arguably the greatest underdog story in the history of modern MMA. He has been an innovator and a trailblazer in his approach to martial arts education and philosophy, and to this day he is dedicated to teaching and inspiring the future stars of MMA in Japan and across the world. Through all of this, Yuki Nakai has retained a broad vision of the sport at large, sacrificing even his own physical well being to avoid casting a negative light on the sport he loves, and has consistently chosen to put the welfare of others before himself.

Nakai began his martial arts training as a child in Hokkaido, Japan, training as a judoka while still in elementary school. In the fourth grade, he won the shichitei Judo championship. He remained a diligent student, and continued to train and compete in judo through his high school and college years. In 1992, he moved to Yokohama, and began to compete in the Shooto organization, training under renowned fighter and pro wrestler Satoru Sayama, "The Original Tiger Mask."

Nakai was the first person to ever have a vale tudo rules fight in Japan. He fought a Royler Gracie student named Arthur Carthiard. Bringing vale tudo to Japan opened the door and paved the way that led to Shooto having VT fights, the VTJ promotion, and eventually Pride.

Nakai racked up an impressive 7-1 record in Shooto,  eventually becoming Shooto welterweight champion and successfully defending his belt until an injury forced his retirement from MMA. It was shortly after his last title defense that he was selected to represent Shooto in Vale Tudo Japan '95, an MMA tournament featuring competition from around the world, with no weight classes and only minimal rules. By the end of that tournament, Nakai would be known as a real-life Rocky, and a legend in the world of MMA.

Announced at 5'6" and only 135 lbs.,  Nakai was the smallest fighter in the tournament by 50 lbs.  Undaunted, and confident in his martial skill, Nakai faced Dutch kickboxer Gerard Gordeau, giving up almost a foot of height and 80 lbs. to the man who had knocked out 400 lb. Teila Tuli (and his tooth) en route to the finals of UFC 1.

Nakai fought a determined and technical fight, overwhelming the much larger Gordeau with an impressive display of technical skill. Desperate to avoid a submission, Gordeau grabbed the ring ropes and violently gouged Nakai's right eye. Nakai, demonstrating the essence of "warrior spirit," fought through the pain and finished a heel hook, submitting Gordeau at 2:41 of the fourth round.

Nakai could have very easily withdrawn from the tournament after fighting Gordeau. Unable to see out of his swollen right eye, and physically exhausted from four rounds against a much larger opponent, Nakai instead chose to continue, and in the next round faced 6'1", 250 lb. pro wrestler Craig Pittman. Once again, Nakai's iron will and technical prowess prevailed, as he won by armbar at 7:32 of the second round. Nakai finally lost in the finals to a much larger and much better rested Rickson Gracie, but this was not the end of the story.

Yuki Nakai sustained severe damage to his right eye as a result of the gouge committed by Gerard Gordeau. The reigning Shooto champion could not see out of his right eye, and was unable to compete. Nevertheless, in order to preserve the sport of MMA against a rising tide of media criticism, Nakai chose to keep the injury a secret, and did not seek necessary medical attention. In placing the sport above self, and in seeking to preserve the honor and welfare of his brethren in martial combat, Nakai ultimately lost 100% of his sight in his right eye, forcing him to retire from MMA competition.

Nakai's love for the sport did not wane when he retired from competition. On the contrary, he became more involved than ever, seeking to gain new skills and knowledge to elevate the level of Japanese MMA. In this effort, Nakai became the first Japanese black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and the only person in history to receive his black belt directly from the IBJJF. He is a 2X Pan American BJJ champion, a Brazilian nationals bronze medalist, and runs his own Shooto and BJJ gym, Paraestra, in Tokyo. He is the head of the BJJ Federation of Japan, and a Commissioner in the Shooto Organization.

Yuki Nakai is more than a pioneer, more than a warrior, more than an innovator, more than a student,  and more than a coach. He is an advocate and defender of the sport he loves, and MMA could ask for no truer friend. Few men have sacrificed so much for a sport, and fewer legends will stand so tall.

4/18/13 8:49 PM
Kirik

Edited: 04/18/13 8:50 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor
Steven McTowelie - Actually...dibs Nick Diaz regardless! Can do on Saturday. Phone Post 3.0

I am truly grateful. Send copy please along with twitter account or any links you want to Kirik@MMA.tv on Saturday.

You were awesome in South Park by the way :-)

4/18/13 9:15 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't realize they could go longer and kept all of mine condensed to 3 paragraphs. If possible I would like to add to my Hendo bio and resubmit it to u. I felt very rushed at the end to try and cram everything in. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 9:18 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I'll go ahead and dibs Miguel Torres while I'm at it. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 9:26 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
UGCTT_SidRival - I didn't realize they could go longer and kept all of mine condensed to 3 paragraphs. If possible I would like to add to my Hendo bio and resubmit it to u. I felt very rushed at the end to try and cram everything in. Phone Post 3.0

I filled out Hendo piece quite a bit. Looking forward to the copy on Torres.

4/18/13 9:33 PM
Steven McTowelie

Kirik -
Steven McTowelie - Actually...dibs Nick Diaz regardless! Can do on Saturday. Phone Post 3.0

I am truly grateful. Send copy please along with twitter account or any links you want to Kirik@MMA.tv on Saturday.

Hahaha. Will do, and thanks.

Don't forget to bring a towel! Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 9:43 PM
UGCTT_SidRival

Kirik -
UGCTT_SidRival - I didn't realize they could go longer and kept all of mine condensed to 3 paragraphs. If possible I would like to add to my Hendo bio and resubmit it to u. I felt very rushed at the end to try and cram everything in. Phone Post 3.0

I filled out Hendo piece quite a bit. Looking forward to the copy on Torres.

Perfect. I'll start working on it and hopefully have it to u over the weekend. Yeah the Hendo piece was a bit condensed as I stated cause I thought they were supposed to be 3 paragraphs. Was like "how can u sum up the career of this man in that space?" lol. But I felt I did a faur job of that. Thank u for filling in the blanks though. Looking forward to writing on Miguel. Didn't notice him earlier or I would have offered sooner. Definitely one of my all time favorites and one of the guys that made me want to start training. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 9:44 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Willy the Coyote -  Wait, us Nick Diaz in your HoF? Phone Post

He is eligible for voting, yah.

4/18/13 9:44 PM
UGCTT_SidRival

*fair job Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 3:54 AM
sparkuri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. Great job on Yuki Nakai. Phone Post
4/19/13 9:50 AM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor

Anyone else want to try their hand at a profile?

4/19/13 10:58 AM
Letibleu
1474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/19/13 10:57 AM

I am tempted to dig into Art Davie. I don't know if I have enough alcohol for that, I'll get back to you...

4/19/13 11:47 AM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Letibleu - 

I am tempted to dig into Art Davie. I don't know if I have enough alcohol for that, I'll get back to you...

DO IT!

(please? :-)

4/19/13 12:32 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 

Why is he eligible for voting?

He was nominated and has more than 10 years of professional experience.

4/19/13 2:22 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 

Shouldn't the HoF be reserved for the greats of the sport? Nick has a following, but he's never been a champ at the highest level of the sports. Do you guys want this HoF to start out as a joke?

The nomination process is pretty wide open, with a max of 25 per year. From those 4-7 are selected, depending upon % of vote total they get. If the 100 worthies on the judge's Panel think he should be in, then their will will be reflected. If they don't he won't.

4/19/13 4:46 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 
Willy the Coyote - 
Kirik - 

Shouldn't the HoF be reserved for the greats of the sport? Nick has a following, but he's never been a champ at the highest level of the sports. Do you guys want this HoF to start out as a joke?

The nomination process is pretty wide open, with a max of 25 per year. From those 4-7 are selected, depending upon % of vote total they get. If the 100 worthies on the judge's Panel think he should be in, then their will will be reflected. If they don't he won't.

Who nominates candidates? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm interested in the process and sincerely hope that Nick doesn't get in. That is, not unless he does a lot more in his career.

Members of the Judge's Panel, as well as members of the MMA community. It is wide open, pretty much. Getting in is far, far, far tougher.

4/19/13 10:44 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I will be sending my own 'HOF profile for Nick Diaz' in direct contrast to this guy. I'll let you choose who's profile is worthy of making the grade.

4/19/13 10:58 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 
Kirik - 

I will be sending my own 'HOF profile for Nick Diaz' in direct contrast to this guy. I'll let you choose who's profile is worthy of making the grade.

First DIBS get the spot. I edit as necessary.

Any other figure of interest?

4/19/13 11:02 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, so I may as well stop what I'm doing! 

Thanks for the heads up Kirik. ;(

4/20/13 7:15 AM
ttc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will do Billy Robinson if I can turn it in Monday night. Phone Post
4/20/13 7:38 AM
Letibleu
1474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Letibleu - 

DO IT!

(please? :-)

I have a lot on my plate this entire week. I might be able to have something by next weekend. How extensive do you want it? Dates, professional and personal details. I can do it in French lol
4/20/13 10:51 AM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
ttc -  I will do Billy Robinson if I can turn it in Monday night. Phone Post

I am looking forward to it!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.