UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: I don't have a UFC contract

4/18/13 10:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a business were athletes can make millions of dollars per fight, especially where PPV revenue sharing is involved, it's almost impossible to imagine that an athlete could compete in such a bout without a contract in place, but that is exactly what Chael Sonnen revealed today:

In a recent interview with former WWE superstar Stone Cold Steve Austin on "The Steve Austin Show," Sonnen revealed he did not sign bout agreements for "The Spider" or "Bones" and his contract with the world's premier mixed martial arts (MMA) organization expired four months ago.

"I never, to this day I don't have a contract to fight Anderson Silva," Sonnen stated in the interview. "I never signed an agreement that said I would fight him, we never picked a dollar amount, we never picked a weight class. Nothing. I told those guys I would show up and I did.

"They never had a contract with me, they said what they would do and they did. My UFC contract expired about four months ago, I don't know if they just haven't realized it because they're so busy, or if they just know they don't need one with me. But, I got a world title fight coming up, we've got a sold out venue -- I don't have a piece of paper with my name on it or Jon Jones' or anything else, but I don't need one either."

read entire article...

4/18/13 10:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Song2
785 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm Phone Post
4/18/13 10:53 PM
FUTA WON (C)
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a muddafuckin lie IMO. Phone Post
4/18/13 10:59 PM
Got Reach
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FUTA WON (C) - That's a muddafuckin lie IMO. Phone Post
. Phone Post
4/18/13 11:00 PM
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's because he's an employee. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:02 PM
Doc T
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The things this man will say Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:11 PM
DABJJ BEN

It's a calculated lie. Sonnen knows that the UFC doesn't make its contracts public and therefore will not call him out. The U.S. Dept. of Justice has weighed in on Sonnen's integrity and his the plea to federal charges speaks volumes. I think he is a good coach and he is good in front of the camera, but make no mistake Sonnen is looking out for numero uno and he is making calculated moves to further himself. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:16 PM
Rahjai
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael just went full retard
4/18/13 11:18 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/18/13 11:18 PM
I spoke with Roddy Piper and he confirmed it.
4/18/13 11:20 PM
ABE FROMAN

Rahjai - Chael just went full retard

'Just'?

4/18/13 11:22 PM
DoomFarmer
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time Chael does his thing you guys act like it's the first time and are shocked.

"What he's lying!!"

O rly?
4/18/13 11:23 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
818 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone should check out the podcast. Great interview. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:43 PM
Andersons_Chin
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And rosenthal ain't got no Ganga. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:47 PM
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think that can legally be true.

4/18/13 11:50 PM
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can't wait until this clown shoe's 15 minutes is over.. the most overrated fighter in MMA history.. anyone that has really followed MMA must just think this shit is a joke........ unbelievable

4/18/13 11:56 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

Why would he make that shit up?  It's not hyping his fight or anything... just making shit up for the sake of it.

Guy's a pathological liar IMO.  Chael Sonnen is the new Hulk Hogan.

4/18/13 11:57 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Tharian - I actually believe this one is real... Chael really seems to be the kind of guy who take a call from the boss saying "Do this and that", he does and in a routine date some amount appears in his bank account. I worked with some just like that and it's awesome. All a employee wants is not to have to worry about bureaucratic, legal, ethical stuff and just get shit done. Chael really seems to be more than a company man and that's why he gets to be beaten by Jones.

UFC fighters are not employees, they're independent contractors.

So he does have a contract, along with a bout agreement for each fight.

4/18/13 11:59 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Herring In A Fur Coat -
Tharian - I actually believe this one is real... Chael really seems to be the kind of guy who take a call from the boss saying "Do this and that", he does and in a routine date some amount appears in his bank account. I worked with some just like that and it's awesome. All a employee wants is not to have to worry about bureaucratic, legal, ethical stuff and just get shit done. Chael really seems to be more than a company man and that's why he gets to be beaten by Jones.

I think he's an employee because of his broadcasting gig. Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 11:59 PM
ShanTheMan
798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 

can't wait until this clown shoe's 15 minutes is over.. the most overrated fighter in MMA history.. anyone that has really followed MMA must just think this shit is a joke........ unbelievable

Maybe he is overrated, but his attitude is not. While others avoid tough fights, this guy fucking talks his way into the toughest ones. I can see how people find him annoying at times, but the guy has balls.

Or maybe just ball
4/19/13 12:02 AM
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so what, he wants money.. even chael sonnen knows he isn't winning any of these fights.. I don't think it has anything at all to do with balls.. at all

4/19/13 12:03 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Pessimist_Pete - 
Herring In A Fur Coat -

I think he's an employee because of his broadcasting gig. Phone Post 3.0

I don't know the details of his broadcasting gig... maybe it's a regular W-2 job.  That has nothing to do with fighting. 

4/19/13 12:05 AM
Willin
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gangsters don't sign contracts just to keep the records clear...

4/19/13 12:12 AM
DoomFarmer
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -

You were saying this 2 years ago.

I'm not so sure it's a 15 minute shelf-life anymore... Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 12:13 AM
inf0

can't even decisively beat a Bisping? get the fuck outta here...

hey geek don't read this.. enjoy the show I'm sure it will deliver... =)))

4/19/13 12:17 AM
inf0

DoomFarmer - 
inf0 -

You were saying this 2 years ago.

I'm not so sure it's a 15 minute shelf-life anymore... Phone Post 3.0

point taken.

as a show man I think Sonnen is great.. as a fighter? He's always been a 6/10.. never shown anything even for a moment that made me think he is championship material.

He couldn't even put away a cracked-out Filho who was shadow boxing the fuckin Pokaroos in his head... give me a break. They call Bisping a pillow fist, this guy is packin pure cotton.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.