UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendricks: GSP should vacate to fight Silva

4/19/13 5:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Yesterday UFC President Dana White revealed that he had not made definite plans for Georges St-Pierre's next bout and it was up to the welterweight champion. He could either defend his welterweight title, or fight a superfight with middleweight Champion Anderson Silva. Number one contender Johny Hendricks doesn't care what he does, but either way he wants to fight for the title next:

Hendricks, who's won six consecutive UFC bouts, said he would wait for St-Pierre if he went for Silva's belt, but would like the champ to vacate it. He's tired of waiting.

"That's what I've been preaching for the last six to eight months," he said. "I want to fight GSP because I'm a competitor. I want to fight the best guys in my weight class. But also, the belt is more important than GSP, and that's really what I'm looking at.

"If he wants to go to 185 then by all means, go to 185 and fight Anderson Silva. Yes, it would be a great thing for our sport. But I want the belt. I'd like to fight GSP for it, but if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to hang my head and say, 'Oh man, I'm going to be fighting that guy for the belt.'"

read entire article...

4/19/13 6:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Coolface_Awesomeson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hasn't GSP already said that if he fought at middleweight he'd have to stay there because of his power-xeno-morphin body type?
4/19/13 6:02 PM
shaqitup
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP isn't moving up

4/19/13 6:05 PM
notsobigmike
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks is my favorite "next-gen" fighter at 170, but he seriously needs to give the title-shot-whining a rest.

If you keep winning, especially knocking fools out, you're going to get your title shot. Continually crying for it just comes across as a bit desperate.

And, I would say beating GSP (especially a finish) DOES mean more than the WW title at this point.
4/19/13 6:12 PM
Coolface_Awesomeson

notsobigmike - Hendricks is my favorite "next-gen" fighter at 170, but he seriously needs to give the title-shot-whining a rest.

If you keep winning, especially knocking fools out, you're going to get your title shot. Continually crying for it just comes across as a bit desperate.

And, I would say beating GSP (especially a finish) DOES mean more than the WW title at this point.

Jon Fitch - 8 UFC wins before fighting GSP
(17 straight wins before GSP)
4/19/13 6:16 PM
shaqitup
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - Hendricks is my favorite "next-gen" fighter at 170, but he seriously needs to give the title-shot-whining a rest.

I disagree, he is whining but with pretty good reason.

Name 1 guy at WW in GSP's reign who has put together more top ranked wins thank Hendricks?

Fitch Kos Kampmann and Condit were all top 10, while fitch and condit were top 5.

Kampmann may have also been top 5 at the time as he just beat Story, Alves, and Ellenberger in succession.

4/19/13 6:17 PM
da Vinci 81
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Hendricks and I think that's what gsp would do if he does go for the silva fight. I think he'll retire win or lose after that one.

The hang up will be Silva's fight with Weidman still over 2 months away. Tough to make a decision now when everything could be derailed if silva loses. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 6:18 PM
nolabrum

He deserves his shot. How many # 1 contender fights does he need to have. There is no one more deserving of a shot right now. He has every right to be angry about GSP taking other fights instead of him.
4/19/13 6:20 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IntellectualSavior -

Keep winning? Who does he have left to beat? What does he have left to prove?

He brutally KOd Kampmann in a "no 1 contenders bout" and then beat the former Interim Champ/No 1 contender.

He has nothing left ahead of him but a shot at the strap and keeps getting screwed around.
This. Also you can't tell Hendricks what means more to him. Beating GSP would be nice but he's after the title, plain and simple. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 6:22 PM
Daht
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you really want to showcase Jon Fitch earning his shot over what Hendricks has done, go by total minutes in the octagon, as Henderson's brutal 1 round KO's would show how much less work in the octagon he has put in than Fitch did going the distance every time.

He's earned his shot. Having Diaz get the last shot was bullshit (for hendricks anyway).. but if GSP goes up for Silva next, it's just hendricks bad luck to be the #1 contender on the sidelines when it happens.

4/19/13 6:23 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama -
IntellectualSavior -

Keep winning? Who does he have left to beat? What does he have left to prove?

He brutally KOd Kampmann in a "no 1 contenders bout" and then beat the former Interim Champ/No 1 contender.

He has nothing left ahead of him but a shot at the strap and keeps getting screwed around.
This. Also you can't tell Hendricks what means more to him. Beating GSP would be nice but he's after the title, plain and simple. Phone Post 3.0
^^^^yep! That man deserves a title shot like yesterday! Phone Post
4/19/13 6:26 PM
JerodR
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Without question Hendricks has earned his shot so I understand why he is upset. That being said he has to fight GSP to get it. If GSP were to vacate the belt then Hendricks would always be nothing more than a paper champ. I mean no disrespect, but until he has actually beat the champ the belt has no meaning.
4/19/13 6:31 PM
rampageforpresident

A very easy solution: If GSP decides to fight Silva, make an Interim Title for Johnny Hendricks vs. Rory/Ellenberger Winner
4/19/13 6:34 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - Without question Hendricks has earned his shot so I understand why he is upset. That being said he has to fight GSP to get it. If GSP were to vacate the belt then Hendricks would always be nothing more than a paper champ. I mean no disrespect, but until he has actually beat the champ the belt has no meaning.

I was gonna poke a little fun at 'ol Big Rig for having such tunnel vision on the Gold but you have a very good point here. If he wants the most possible respect, he should be more focused on the man himself instead of the belt around his waist.  VTFU

4/19/13 6:37 PM
IIAces

I said right after GSP/Diaz this was going to happen. GSP put on a lot of weight and barely made the cut last fight. Everyone will get GSP/Silva soon Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 6:40 PM
DoomFarmer

Edited: 04/19/13 6:45 PM
Can we just let GSP lay on this guy for 5 rounds, already?

So we can shut him up and have the Silva fight?

No offense, he has earned his shot as defenitively as anyone can but he has nothing for GSP.

Not a compelling matchup.
4/19/13 6:44 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I want to fight GSP because I'm a competitor. I want to fight the best guys in my weight class. But also, the belt is more important than GSP"

You either want to fight the top guys, or you just want the belt and don't care who you fight for it, which is it?

4/19/13 6:47 PM
BrattMamley
1063 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough spot for Johny. I felt like he really earned his shot with that condit fight. Like someone said earlier, though, silva doesn't fight for 2 months and he could easily lose that fight. Tough situation. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 6:51 PM
da Vinci 81
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

"I want to fight GSP because I'm a competitor. I want to fight the best guys in my weight class. But also, the belt is more important than GSP"

You either want to fight the top guys, or you just want the belt and don't care who you fight for it, which is it?

Well if gsp moves up whoever he fights for the belt would presumably be the best guy (other than himself) in the weight class, no? Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 6:54 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - 
12SixElbow -

Well if gsp moves up whoever he fights for the belt would presumably be the best guy (other than himself) in the weight class, no? Phone Post 3.0

IF* gsp moves up and leaves WW for good, sure.

Those are big IF's fren.

4/19/13 6:55 PM
Allucard

shaqitup - 

GSP isn't moving up

Do you know your gut never stops growing throughout your life? GSP won't be able to fight at 170 all his life successfully. It's best he fights Silva, win or lose than to lose to someone like Hendricks who might as well lose his first defense. GSP, don't be Manny Pacquiao, that's all I'm saying.
4/19/13 7:16 PM
jj93

Hendricks could beat gsp but have a feeling Rory is the next dominant champ that ground and pound Oscar brutal Phone Post
4/19/13 7:17 PM
jj93

Is * how you get Oscar from is Phone Post
4/19/13 7:42 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If GSP wants to go up and fight Silva, then great...but he will GUARANTEED leave the WW division of the UFC in a FUBAR state of disarray!

Sure, Hendricks is #1 but how does the UFC determine #2? Tournament? Will Big Rig be in the tourney? or is he the end of the tourney? Who gets to be in the tourney? The top 4 or 6 ranked UFC WW's? Who has Rory beat to be in the top 10 LOL? 

The questions in this scenerio are basically a huge quagmire that cannot be answered. Hopefully for poor Dana, this situation never rears its ugly head. The whole staff of the UFC may have to do a mushroom trip with Joe Rogan to find the answers!

4/19/13 8:02 PM
da Vinci 81

Well if GSP's decision happens soon enough they'll probably just do Hendricks vs Maia for the vacant title and then the winner of Rory vs Ellenberger gets the winner.

Maia being the only top WW without a fight right now might be by design.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.