UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson Henderson plans to retire at 33

4/20/13 12:24 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At 28 years of age Benson Henderson captured the UFC lightweight title and has since defended successfully twice and will defend it again this weekend. Benson has a set plan to break the record of Anderson Silva for consecutive title defenses and then walk away from the sport:

"I'm definitely getting noticed more (fighting on FOX), that's for sure. Everywhere we go, and it's cool. Take the good with the bad, the pros with the cons. It's nice. It's not going to happen for the rest of my life. It's going to happen for what? Two, three, four more years or so, then after that, you know, it's not going to happen anymore ...

Anderson's at 10 [consecutive title defenses] now, I fight three more years, three fights each year that will put me at nine. I have two already - or one already then I'm done after that. I'm going to get one past his record. Fighting's hard man, fighting's tough. You're getting beat up on the body - you saw me this morning in the weight room and stuff. It takes a toll on your body, so by the time I hit 33 I intend on retiring. I'm done after that."

transcription by MMAMania.com...

4/20/13 12:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taz Styles
3589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva is still fighting though, so his plan of retiring at 33 doesn't really work out, unless Silva loses his next fight. 

4/20/13 12:35 AM
weebrave
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This depresses me Phone Post
4/20/13 12:40 AM
rockafella
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smart.

Who the fuck wants to get punched in the head in the first place and if you have to do it to make a living how much longer would you do it than you have to?
4/20/13 12:41 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

Hmmm....someone else also stopped performing his profession at 33.
Except he had no choice, he was betrayed by a bro and arrested and had a trial by an all-jewish jury.
Hmmmm...who could that be?
I wonder......

Could it be......

JESUS?
4/20/13 12:42 AM
UGCTT_JediMMA
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blehhhh Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 12:45 AM
Kick Boxe
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rockafella - Smart.

Who the fuck wants to get punched in the head in the first place and if you have to do it to make a living how much longer would you do it than you have to?

Super impressed with this kid (ha kid, he's probably older than me).

Benson Henderson would have been a huge success in anything he had done, or chooses to do after fighting

4/20/13 12:46 AM
AllAmericanBoxing
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeamRenzo4Life - Hmmm....someone else also stopped performing his profession at 33.
Except he had no choice, he was betrayed by a bro and arrested and had a trial by an all-jewish jury.
I wonder......

Could it be......

JESUS?
Lol! Phone Post
4/20/13 12:49 AM
slamming

He will fight at 170 before he retires. That's gonna throw a wrench in his plans.
4/20/13 12:52 AM
Hookandshoot

rockafella - Smart.

This

Get out while your on top. Too many fighter stick around and become a shell of the fighter they use to be. Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 12:57 AM
Hazard 76
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson is gonna demolish Gil.

Was not impressed with Melendez's performance v Thompson.........and these so called killers from other org's have a habit of getting exposed in The UFC......see Shields, Lombard, Overeem et al
4/20/13 1:05 AM
bakobell

Good for him. Better plan than 99% of the UG. Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 1:10 AM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only youngsters think you can make a plan that far into the future.
4/20/13 1:11 AM
Public got Bigg Riggd

Best of luck to him Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 1:15 AM
I LOVE GSP

TeamRenzo4Life - Hmmm....someone else also stopped performing his profession at 33.
I wonder......

Could it be......

JESUS?

I seriously thought that was gonna be his reason.
4/20/13 1:34 AM
MTH
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bah--that's easy to say when you're 28 and the champ.

Unless (as he hopes) he rides a Silva-esque win streak until that retirement, he's going to mix in a few losses over the next few years . . . so maybe they'll be a move up to welterweight, start chasing either that title, or maybe a drop back down to pursue the lightweight title again, etc. etc.

He'll be 33 before he knows it, and still talking about having a few more years left. Just one more title run . . . Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 1:38 AM
rockafella

Kick Boxe - 
rockafella - Smart.

Super impressed with this kid (ha kid, he's probably older than me).

Benson Henderson would have been a huge success in anything he had done, or chooses to do after fighting

Apparently you seem to have the insight of Cleo. Can you give us he winners of this weekends fights so we can all profit?

Bendo could have been Steve Jobs! He fights real good! Dude is determined!
4/20/13 1:38 AM
rockafella

Edited: 04/20/13 1:38 AM
oops...
4/20/13 1:52 AM
Kick Boxe
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeyzerSose - i'm 33 but think i would starch the 28 year old version of myself

I would pay to see that

4/20/13 2:48 AM
insomnia

KeyzerSose - i'm 33 but think i would starch the 28 year old version of myself

Yeah but you haven't been training and fighting at the highest level for the last 5 years straight.
4/20/13 4:06 AM
John M
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo's really good, but he's NOT Silva or GSP or even Bones good. He already lost to Frankie at least once IMO, but somebody's going to come along and beat him... Maybe it'll be Gil, I don't know.
4/20/13 4:20 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

superCalo - 
TeamRenzo4Life - Hmmm....someone else also stopped performing his profession at 33.
I wonder......

Could it be......

JESUS?
It's why bendo has so much respect for clay guida, he's a carpenter. Phone Post

Calo just quoted me.
I don't even know what to say. I feel validated as a UG forum member now. As a poster I come here and see a topic and think to myself "Man, if I can come up with something even half as brilliant as Calo..."
First and Foremost I want to thank Jesus. All things are possible through Christ. My Mom, My Dad, the UG itself for relaxing vote-down freezes....Andy Kaufman, his manager Tony Clifton, Tom Greene, The Unknown Comic. They all came before me and mastered the art of performing comedy that only I feel is funny while other people grow confused and angry.

May Jesus Bless you all.
4/20/13 4:36 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

Oh, and I just wanna say...to all you people out there who regularly get responses like "Meh" and "0/10" and "Calo u aint, bro" Don't give up. Keep at it.
Dreams do come true, I'm proof.

In Jesus Name,
TR4L
4/20/13 9:35 AM
The Sultan
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He keeps comparing himself to andersons record as if its set in stone and he's already won. Hes got a longgggggg way to go before he even gets close to that many title defenses.

Lets get to 7 or 8 title defenses before you start talking about anderson, IMO.

One huge hole in his plans however is that anderson is still active. Anderson wins again and his streak improves. Phone Post
4/20/13 10:28 AM
Willin
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a snowball's chance in hell that he has that many title defenses in the most insanely competitive division around at 155lbs. Also he looked like hell weighing in yesterday. He may not be able to make 155 in the next year or two. 170 would prove to be a tough new division for him. Also Pettis will be looking to dethrone him after the Aldo fight... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.