UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Judge who scored it for Gilbert is a CGJJ Student?

4/21/13 1:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - He was the one that scored it properly. You guys and your silly conspiracy theories.

You don't see a probably with it though? This isn't a conspiracy. Ricardo Almeida is a good judge but can't judge any of Edgar's fights, but this guy can judge CGJJ fighters? You dont see the problem with the potential bias?

No. Absolutely not. The MMA World is a very small one. Do you really think this guy hangs out with Melendez on a regular basis? Has dinner with him and his Family? You guys want "Experienced" Judges who "train". Well, these judges need to come from somewhere! I can understand if this was a Nam Phan vs. Leonard Garcia type of Robbery, but you guys on here like to "reach" for reasons of conspiracy. It's crazy! The judge got it right in A LOT of people's opinions, including mine! There's no conspiracy here.
4/21/13 1:23 AM
Jambo888
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

close fight. when will benson finish someone? hahahaters

4/21/13 1:25 AM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - He was the one that scored it properly. You guys and your silly conspiracy theories.

You don't see a probably with it though? This isn't a conspiracy. Ricardo Almeida is a good judge but can't judge any of Edgar's fights, but this guy can judge CGJJ fighters? You dont see the problem with the potential bias?

No. Absolutely not. The MMA World is a very small one. Do you really think this guy hangs out with Melendez on a regular basis? Has dinner with him and his Family? You guys want "Experienced" Judges who "train". Well, these judges need to come from somewhere! I can understand if this was a Nam Phan vs. Leonard Garcia type of Robbery, but you guys on here like to "reach" for reasons of conspiracy. It's crazy! The judge got it right in A LOT of people's opinions, including mine! There's no conspiracy here.
Would your opinion be the same if we found out it was someone with a connection to Bendo?

I'm not accusing just inquiring. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 1:26 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - The one who scored it correctly too

THIS

4/21/13 1:28 AM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/21/13 1:28 AM
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

How do you know for sure what his true feeling on the camp and it's fighters are?

there are plenty of judges from England and brazil that can be brought in for fights they are apprioately distanced  and unbiased for, so if we lack North American judges to do that it's just cheapness not solving it.

What if the fight had been even closer and he decises the fight for Gil when another when changes his close call to Gilb but it's close enough that Ben still still should have won based on strike numbers or whateve, then there is a conspiracy, where as all unbiased ones creates no potential either way.

4/21/13 1:32 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

You don't have to be a BJJ student to be a good judge. 

The mma world is small but they couldn't find another judge for that 1 fight and Diaz' fight? This is why in boxing they bring in judges from all over the WORLD. Tonight in Canelo/Trout they had 1 from Texas, 1 from South Africa, and 1 from the Philippines. They could've got somebody from Cali who didn't have a direct connect to the camp. 

What conspiracy am I reaching for? It's a real problem, and the CSAC let it slip through the cracks. I'm not sure how you don't see the potential problem. It's bad for the sport, I think you're just looking past it because you agree with him. 

4/21/13 1:34 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tankhead - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

Would your opinion be the same if we found out it was someone with a connection to Bendo?

I'm not accusing just inquiring. Phone Post 3.0

Of course. This was a close fight that IMO came down to the final round. It's hard to be a Judge.
4/21/13 1:34 AM
CarlCX
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His school's website has Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez highlight reels right on its front page.

There's a line between "may have trained with a fighter he's judging once upon a time" and "could financially profit from one fighter winning" and this seems way on the wrong side of it. Not to cast aspersions on the man's character at all, just to cast aspersions on the CSAC. There's no way this sort of thing should be okay and they should be watching out for potential conflicts of interest.
4/21/13 1:38 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CarlCX - His school's website has Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez highlight reels right on its front page.

There's a line between "may have trained with a fighter he's judging once upon a time" and "could financially profit from one fighter winning" and this seems way on the wrong side of it. Not to cast aspersions on the man's character at all, just to cast aspersions on the CSAC. There's no way this sort of thing should be okay and they should be watching out for potential conflicts of interest.

You only post 1x a year.....but when you're right you're right

4/21/13 1:40 AM
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand -
Immaculata - He was the one that scored it properly. You guys and your silly conspiracy theories.
It's completely besides the point whether he scored it properly or not. You can't do that. If a former player for the Knicks reffed a Knicks game in the playoffs do you think there would be something wrong with that? Phone Post
And its completely incompetence on the part of the AC.

Its an ethics issue, even so to say there is opportunity for abuse doesn't mean he scored the fight for Gil out of bias.

His scorecard was well within reason to me, most everyone acknowledges the fight was extremely close.

Clearly this should be addressed but lets not accuse Gil of fixing fights. Phone Post
4/21/13 1:40 AM
Jaybrone
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It doesn't matter if you agree with his score or not. It is an obvious conflict of interests and the commission should know better.

4/21/13 1:42 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Jaybrone - 

It doesn't matter if you agree with his score or not. It is an obvious conflict of interests and the commission should know better.

Thank You. All im trying to say. It's no more reasonable than Almeida judging Edgar's fights, which is exactly why he can't. 

4/21/13 1:42 AM
Immaculata

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

The mma world is small but they couldn't find another judge for that 1 fight and Diaz' fight? This is why in boxing they bring in judges from all over the WORLD. Tonight in Canelo/Trout they had 1 from Texas, 1 from South Africa, and 1 from the Philippines. They could've got somebody from Cali who didn't have a direct connect to the camp. 

What conspiracy am I reaching for? It's a real problem, and the CSAC let it slip through the cracks. I'm not sure how you don't see the potential problem. It's bad for the sport, I think you're just looking past it because you agree with him. 

It's not a problem until there is a pattern of a Judge giving out gift decisions.
4/21/13 1:43 AM
Jambo888
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone - 

its unacceptable for an athletic commission to allow such a conflict.

4/21/13 1:56 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

It's not a problem until there is a pattern of a Judge giving out gift decisions.
So let it stay in place until there's a horrible robbery that's bad for the sport instead of...
Fixing the problem now so it doesn't happen? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 1:58 AM
BrianStannFan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wait until the mma community at large learns that Joe Silva is Anderson's brother...

4/21/13 2:00 AM
Jaybrone
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is nice to see the commission hired a judge who understands grappling. But maybe know their background and the backgrounds of the fighters he is there to judge. You know like NOT have a guy who trains with the same coach as one of the fighters in the fight he is there to judge. I would have zero problem with him judging any other fight on that card other than the main event or the Diaz fight. 

4/21/13 2:04 AM
Immaculata

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

So let it stay in place until there's a horrible robbery that's bad for the sport instead of...

That's not what I'm getting at. I completely understand and respect your point, I do. All I'm saying is that if the CSAC or the Judge felt like he had to recuse himself, then I feel like they/he would have.
4/21/13 2:13 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

That's not what I'm getting at. I completely understand and respect your point, I do. All I'm saying is that if the CSAC or the Judge felt like he had to recuse himself, then I feel like they/he would have.
I think the commission dropped the ball here. All I had to do was a simple google search. How could they not make the connection Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 2:20 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

Why create the image of impropriety or even allow that to happen?

It shouldn't be allowed to get to a point where a judge makes multiple favored decisions.

One is TOO MANY.

As a result you err on the side of caution and not allow him to judge such fights. Phone Post
4/21/13 2:23 AM
jaseprobst
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird. Surprised the California Commission would allow this.

4/21/13 2:24 AM
Jaybrone

GayGuard is right.

If the guy trained with The Lab and was one of the two to score it for Henderson how much of a shit storm would there be? Or If it was someone who trained with Greg Jackson who was judging a close fight with a Jackson fighter this place would go into a full fucking meltdown.

4/21/13 2:40 AM
Immaculata

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

It shouldn't be allowed to get to a point where a judge makes multiple favored decisions.

One is TOO MANY.

As a result you err on the side of caution and not allow him to judge such fights. Phone Post

Again, I respect all of the opinions of the members here saying that there's a conflict of interest, but, The State is going to have Judges there from the State of California there. I'm just saying in the mma world there's a good chance that those Judges have had encounters with the Fighters from California. It's impossible not to be experienced and not have had encounters with experienced people in the sport (if you're qualified). If the said Judge had a Conflict of Interest I'm sure the Judge would have recused himself. The score of the fight did not reflect a conflict of interest.
4/21/13 2:52 AM
mijo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

One is TOO MANY.

Again, I respect all of the opinions of the members here saying that there's a conflict of interest, but, The State is going to have Judges there from the State of California there. I'm just saying in the mma world there's a good chance that those Judges have had encounters with the Fighters from California. It's impossible not to be experienced and not have had encounters with experienced people in the sport (if you're qualified). If the said Judge had a Conflict of Interest I'm sure the Judge would have recused himself. The score of the fight did not reflect a conflict of interest.

Well I dont think he got the call right! He is a Ceasar Gracie student, and if you dont see the conflict of interest there. I feel sorry for you. This is bad for the sport, and to be honest I really dont have a problem with it, but it still does not make it right.

What if this was the other way around? Diaz and Ceasar Gracie would have already have done the paperwork for appeal.
4/21/13 3:03 AM
Immaculata

mijo - 
Immaculata - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
Immaculata -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Immaculata - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 

One is TOO MANY.

Well I dont think he got the call right! He is a Ceasar Gracie student, and if you dont see the conflict of interest there. I feel sorry for you. This is bad for the sport, and to be honest I really dont have a problem with it, but it still does not make it right.

What if this was the other way around? Diaz and Ceasar Gracie would have already have done the paperwork for appeal.

You might not think he got the call right, but you can at least agree that it was a razor close fight. If you can't, then I feel sorry for YOU. There's no conspiracy here. Again, I was happy that this Judge is experienced enough to Judge an MMA fight. You can't have experienced Officials without having some kind of affiliation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.