UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Judge who scored it for Gilbert is a CGJJ Student?

4/21/13 12:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
878 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
4/21/13 12:33 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Athletic comission once again fucked up. Yes it was a close fight so the judging might not have been to weird but considering the dudes ties to Gracie he should have never been a judge on this fucking fight. He should have excuse himself. But apart from personal opinion the commission should have intervened.

Compare to all the BS Gracie camp started regarding the GSP vs Diaz fight the should show some sense of selfcorrection and admit that this is a very shady situation.

4/21/13 12:54 PM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson won, fair and square. It was closer than I expected though.
4/21/13 1:05 PM
slondeau
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Ben won 48-47 but wouldn't have been shocked if it went the other way. I don't like that a judge is affiliated with the coach of an athlete in a fight he's judging. It looks like he was pretty objective though as many people and media members scores the fight the same way as him. Phone Post
4/21/13 1:11 PM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

209er logic:

GSP weigh in "controversy" - "This is a HUGE scandal! They were obviously helping and protecting him."

Cesar Gracie affiliate judging Melendez fight - "I don't see what the big deal is."

4/21/13 1:11 PM
RKing85
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so the guy who was associated with Cesar Gracie scored it right.

The one judge who gave Henderson the 5th has to be Benson's brother or something.
4/21/13 1:18 PM
BendoBentJediOver
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My two cents:

Gil won.
No. That guy shouldn't have been judging his fight. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 1:37 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

You guys realize Gil isn't a Cesar Gracie guy right? He just learned BJJ from him.

Did you see Cesar or any of those guys in his corner? No. Gil has his own gym, his own team, etc...

Not to mention, a LOT of people scored the fight for Gil.

Well he has no problem advertising for his gym by putting a highlight video of Melendez on the front page of his gyms website. Phone Post
4/21/13 1:59 PM
MattyECB
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fishyfish - 

the judging system could be improved by replacing it with a coin toss.

replacing the judges with a coin toss would remove both judging incompetence and the possibility of a conflict of interest.

I hope that's a joke or you're pretty bad at statistics.

With a coin toss we'd go from the current 40% bullshit decisions rate to a slightly worse 50% bullshit decisions rate.

I'd say the judges are slightly better than a coin toss if we're gonna avoid being reactionary -- give them a little credit lol
4/21/13 2:11 PM
Archangel

i think its about time someone with some kind of background in the arts is judging. seems to have scored it fairly and professionally
4/21/13 2:18 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

You guys realize Gil isn't a Cesar Gracie guy right? He just learned BJJ from him.

Did you see Cesar or any of those guys in his corner? No. Gil has his own gym, his own team, etc...

Why does the ref have a Gilbert Melendez HL on his website? That's certainly not appropriate. And they both have a direct link to Cesar, both are browns under Cesar, and both pay Cesar money. I'm not saying they're best friends but they certainly know each other. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 2:19 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judge* excuse me.

It's no more appropriate than Middle Easy round by round scoring of a Diaz fight. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 2:20 PM
Jaybrone
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

You do realize that Gil is still affiliated with CGJJ as was that judge. In fact that judges school has highlights of Gil and Jake on his website! That is a PROBLEM. It isn't about him scoring the fight for GIl. I get that you can see Gil winning the fight. But when a judge is affiliated with a fighter through trainers/coaches thats a problem. Can you not see the conflict of interests in this, and that it is not good for the sport especially a sport still fighting for acceptance?

4/21/13 2:27 PM
Archangel

UGCTT_WarHunt - 
Archangel - i think its about time someone with some kind of background in the arts is judging. seems to have scored it fairly and professionally

I don't think it was fair or professional to Benson that there was a clear conflict of interest. But you aren't going to acknowledge that are you? That would expose your bias.

Bias? i dont care who wins i have no invested interest in either fighter.

My point may be that the judging is horrible. we collectively have had discussion on judges with some actual knowledge of the sport should be judging the contest. the problem i have always stated is just this. people will always cry fowl when they see that the judge has some connection to a fighter even when they score it correctly.

4/21/13 2:41 PM
thegreenroom
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a decent amount of money on bendo and was pretty worried about the judging situation cuz I thought it could go either way.

Gil catching bendo's kicks early and throwing him down was a huge variable. How do u score that. A take down or not?

Such a vague and close fight no way you can fault anybody for having it 48-47 either way. I say give the guy more chances maybe he is fair and good judge. Phone Post
4/21/13 2:56 PM
Archangel

UGCTT_WarHunt - 
Archangel - 
UGCTT_WarHunt - 
Archangel - i think its about time someone with some kind of background in the arts is judging. seems to have scored it fairly and professionally

I don't think it was fair or professional to Benson that there was a clear conflict of interest. But you aren't going to acknowledge that are you? That would expose your bias.

Bias? i dont care who wins i have no invested interest in either fighter.

My point may be that the judging is horrible. we collectively have had discussion on judges with some actual knowledge of the sport should be judging the contest. the problem i have always stated is just this. people will always cry fowl when they see that the judge has some connection to a fighter even when they score it correctly.

Stop drinking the tap water.

The right fighter won, he was given the nod by the two other judges who weren't biased. Because you and that judge are biased, you wrongly believe that gil won the fight. So you do not care about a conflict of interest as long as the judge agreed with your biased opinion.

what? i didnt even watch the fight. but based on your -absolute disregard that the fight was razor close and could have gone either way i would move to say the bias lies in your mouth along with bensons nuts.
4/21/13 2:57 PM
12SixElbow
614 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone - 
12SixElbow - 

You do realize that Gil is still affiliated with CGJJ as was that judge. In fact that judges school has highlights of Gil and Jake on his website! That is a PROBLEM. It isn't about him scoring the fight for GIl. I get that you can see Gil winning the fight. But when a judge is affiliated with a fighter through trainers/coaches thats a problem. Can you not see the conflict of interests in this, and that it is not good for the sport especially a sport still fighting for acceptance?

No... Just no.

Referee John McCarthy is a Gracie JJ student, personal friend of Royce, and has DEEP Gracie family connections. He has trained with and is friends with Benson Henderson's head coach (and Royce Gracie Black Belt) John Crouch.

You're fine with that? But not a judge being a student of the same person Gil WAS a student of?

4/21/13 3:00 PM
Argo

Nothing fishy here obviously.

Dude has it scored 2-1 for Bendo and Melendez would need to win 4 and 5 to pull out a win. So this judge gave round 4 (of all rounds?)to Melendez. 5 was a given by then

Nothing fishy.
4/21/13 3:01 PM
Hired Gun
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And to think this gym cried foul over the GSP fight. Phone Post
4/21/13 3:12 PM
Masakyst
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not accusing the judge of being biased in his scoring, the fight being as close as it was. But he should not have been selected to judge this fight in the first place due to conflict of interest.
4/21/13 3:25 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Masakyst - I'm not accusing the judge of being biased in his scoring, the fight being as close as it was. But he should not have been selected to judge this fight in the first place due to conflict of interest.

VTFU. Im not sure why people can't understand this. 

4/21/13 3:29 PM
Archangel

Masakyst - I'm not accusing the judge of being biased in his scoring, the fight being as close as it was. But he should not have been selected to judge this fight in the first place due to conflict of interest.

"But he should not have been selected to judge this fight in the first place due to conflict of interest."

why not? im genuinely curious.

team mates judge and ref fights all of the time. Do you believe no one can be an professional and have honor?

4/21/13 3:30 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -

VTFU. Im not sure why people can't understand this. 

I'm kind of incredulous as to how some people aren't getting this. Phone Post
4/21/13 4:00 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like these commissions make no effort. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 4:04 PM
TexDeuce
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too close to call for me. I gave a slight edge to Melendez and wanted Benson to win. But it could have gone either way. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.