UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melendez 49-46

4/21/13 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hellride - I thought it was 1,3,5 but yes. Every attack by Henderson was countered.
Countered? Or defended? Big difference. Phone Post
4/21/13 10:09 AM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Palmeto Sports Management - 
Kostakio - I thought Melendez only won the first two rounds. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

agree as well.

The fight actually went exactly how I expected it, with Henderson's ability to keep pace/remain crisp later on the fight making all of the difference.
4/21/13 10:18 AM
Tahiti Bo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sid22 - yeah melendez won 1,2,5 clearly round 3 was debatable but no matter how u look at it gil won....like they gave henderson credit for those kicks to shin...thats pathetic to me..how can u call MMA a sport then call those scoring blows?# SMH

Re-read your post. You answered your own question.
4/21/13 10:21 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% agree with OP.

4/21/13 10:24 AM
Chimp Strength
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Melendez winning 1 and 5. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 10:27 AM
Poindexter
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I scored it for Gil. I thought Frankie beat Henderson as well.

4/21/13 10:32 AM
RollHighAllDay
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a close fight. I had the first 2.8 rounds for Melendez and the last 2.2 rounds for benson. Phone Post
4/21/13 10:49 AM
overstander
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gil's point fighting lost to a better point fighter.

Feed gil to Bj he has been wanting that fight for almost a decade.

Must just be me but i used to like gil when he could finish,
now looks like he's fighting in a safe manor, like gsp. He is starting to get.

If op thinks gil is the best then thomson is the goat. Thomson beat the snot (joshlooked unscaved while gil looked like he was hit in the face with abat ultiple times.)out of gil last fight (gil was throwing baby rabbit shots to accummulate compu strikes) and was gifted the belt back.

Basicly i think that josh or bj should be fed melendez and make him 0-2, to wake up el nino. So uch for going out there to kill.

4/21/13 10:53 AM
overstander

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  Melendez won 1, 2, 3, 5. Best 155 guy out there. Phone Post

Remember Gil is in with the big boys now, He will have to earn his stripes.
Lots of 155ers that i think would blow through gil. Cant wait to see who's next for him, i like bj or thomson match, but even a guida or someone lower on the troth would be fine.
4/21/13 10:55 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

overstander - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  Melendez won 1, 2, 3, 5. Best 155 guy out there. Phone Post

Lots of 155ers that i think would blow through gil. Cant wait to see who's next for him, i like bj or thomson match, but even a guida or someone lower on the troth would be fine.

He earned his stripes last night by beating the champ.

4/21/13 11:10 AM
Calavaro
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melendez clearly won rounds 1 and 5. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Round 2 was very close, with Melendez winning early on but Bendo coming strong later on. If any round could be scored a draw, this would be it.

Round 3 could be argued both ways, but nobody would dispute Bendo outlanded Melendez, but Melendez was mostly pressing the action. It's mostly personal opinion who won the round.

Round 4 was clearly in favor of Bendo. I don't think anyone disputes that.

So realistic scores could be Bendo 48-47 or Melendez 49-46 or 48-47 and then finally a draw 48-48.

Scoring the fight in its totality: I would give Melendez the fight win, but the sporting event win to Bendo.

4/21/13 11:35 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

No way.

And to get the belt, you have to BEAT the champion. Not close shave decision him.

this is exactly correct

4/21/13 11:47 AM
MMOZ

GSPushedInMyStinkEye -
overstander - 

He earned his stripes last night by beating the champ.

He lost bro. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 11:49 AM
Lazer MMA

Hong Kong Phooey - 
UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

No way.

And to get the belt, you have to BEAT the champion. Not close shave decision him.

this is exactly correct

One can argue a draw but Gill did NOT lose that fight! You guys should NOT ignore that!
4/21/13 11:53 AM
12SixElbow
614 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

No way.

These kind of sentences are a piss poor excuse for poor judging.

Benson got the belt in a  thin decision that resulted in an immediate rematch.

4/21/13 12:18 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
383 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Unless he evolves, and gets better, somebody will take the belt. Don't know who, maybe Melendez in a re-match.

4/21/13 12:37 PM
Periodik

Voted up Calavaro, great, well thought out post.

I scored the fight Benson 2,3,4. I thought he had stronger offensive moments and defended or evaded most of Gil's attacks.

With that said I felt that neither fighter came in with the killer instinct and also respected each other possibly too much.
4/21/13 12:46 PM
sillypants

Sid22 - yeah melendez won 1,2,5 clearly round 3 was debatable but no matter how u look at it gil won....like they gave henderson credit for those kicks to shin...thats pathetic to me..how can u call MMA a sport then call those scoring blows?# SMH
Ask condit Phone Post
4/21/13 12:55 PM
fightcity
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/21/13 1:02 PM
mrzipplokk - No way.

You mean like he did to win the belt from Edgar?

It was close but Gil clearly controlled the fight and landed more shots then Ben (despite fight metric BS) knocked him down twice with right hands. It is beyond me what fight the judges were watching. And everyone interviewed after that had Gil winning except Dana. Even that scrum interview where Dana said he had Ben winning and then asked the reporters who they had everyone of them said Gil, Also Chael and Stan had Gil winning.

Ben is a great fighter but I am tired of him being gifted fights he clearly lost.
4/21/13 12:58 PM
Brian Rule
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Despite the commentary (and questionable "Strikes Landed" stats being flashed on screen) I felt like Gil was winning going into the last round. Gil was nullifying Ben's attacks for the most part and certainly landing the harder shots. However I felt like to really 'win' without controversy he needed to end strong and clearly win the last round – he did not do this, he coasted a bit, and I think it cost him. Still think it could (even should) have gone in his way, but as they say, you've got to truly beat the champ to take his belt via decision.
4/21/13 1:12 PM
RKing85
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

48-47 Melendez.

Melendez/Melendez/Henderson/Henderson/Melendez for my 48-47 scorecard.
4/21/13 1:31 PM
BendoBentJediOver
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY -
UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

No way.

Like Frankie did in the 1st BJ fight or like Bendo did in the first Frankie fight?

You have to win the fight, this beat the champion shit is just stupid shit that has crossed over from boxing when biased decisions were made.

Melendez won that fight imo, it was very close their should be a rematch, noone wants to see Gray Maynard in another title fight.
This!!!!!!!

I HATE when people say that.

Cause if that were the case, the same could be said about the champion. As the CHAMP you should be able to CONVINCINGLY beat the contender. Not squeak by on a split decision.

Don't know why it only works one way. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 3:37 PM
BendoBentJediOver
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimp Strength - I had Melendez winning 1 and 5. Phone Post 3.0
I don't understand how people think bendo won round 2. That's just my opinion.

Melendez definitely took 1,2 in my opinion. Rewatching fight now and so far I have

Gil - 1, 2
Bendo - 3

On to the 4th round I go.. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 3:52 PM
Calavaro
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Periodik - Voted up Calavaro, great, well thought out post.

I scored the fight Benson 2,3,4. I thought he had stronger offensive moments and defended or evaded most of Gil's attacks.

With that said I felt that neither fighter came in with the killer instinct and also respected each other possibly too much.
Thanks for the kind words and vu.
It was a close fight for sure, which is to be expected at the very top of any division.
I look forward to the next title fight (who wouldn't...). Phone Post
4/21/13 3:52 PM
Rob San Soo

I guess stuffing a bunch of takedowns don't mean shit ! Smh Gil took that fight Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.