UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: I kind of laid an egg Saturday night

4/21/13 4:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former US Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier made a successful UFC debut vs. Frank Mir at UFC on FOX 7 Saturday night, beating the former UFC heavyweight champion by 30-27 on all three scorecards. The win would leave most fighters euphoric, but Cormier was underwhelmed with his own performance, which many fans felt was heavy on clinching against the fence, and light on fireworks.

"I've had a very long athletic career, and I've competed at the highest levels of all my sports," Cormier told MMA Junkie after the fight. "I always kind of laughed at Dana when he said there were jitters and nerves that come with this.

"But man, I was nervous. I felt so nervous. It's almost like you want it so bad and you want to do so well, and then you just kind of lay an egg a little bit. I didn't fight the fight I wanted to."

"More than anything, I felt tired, and I've never gotten tired. Usually I'm in a fight, and I feel great. I can go long. But in this fight, for some reason, I was tired, and I think it was my nerves. I was very nervous in the back.

"I felt like my legs were kind of weird. But I went in there and fought, and I fought as well as I could. It wasn't ideal, but if you can feel bad and beat a guy who's a two-time champion, there's got to be some positives in that."

The AKA fighter now has to determine who is next, and in what division.

Cormier had to miss his shot at Olympic gold in 2008 when his kidneys failed in Beijing. It nearly killed him, and Cormier was cutting weight to compete at 211 lbs. Now he is considering a deeper cut, to 205, driven by the desire to fight UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and the desire to avoid fighting teammate and UFC heavyweight Cain Velasquez. Cormier feels that he can make the cut safely now.

"I had been cutting weight for a really long time," Cormier recalled recently of the near fatal cut. "I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. ... Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary."

"Physically, I'm different now. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing seven, eight pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I'm 234 pounds. That's almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I'm lighter now than even when I was wrestling."

So is he ready to drop to 205 now?

"It's really going to be a team decision," said Cormier. "We need to get together with the UFC and the management team and everyone else and figure out what the next step is. Me personally, even if they said you're going to fight Cain Velasquez next, I don't think tonight's performance warranted a title shot."

"I want to do it healthy. I don't want to die."

So what do you think UG? Is Cormier ready for Velasquez? Or Jones? Or what?

4/21/13 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kick Boxe
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not happy to see him in either division, he's not exciting

4/21/13 4:14 PM
TEN10TEN
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I see is a link, and that link takes me to an ad for the app I'm using.

Can someone post the link please? Phone Post
4/21/13 4:19 PM
ranier wolfcastle
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC on FOX 7's Daniel Cormier admits to jitters, 'laid an egg a little bit'

4/21/13 4:24 PM
supremexb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kick Boxe - 

I guess this is the first time you've seen him fight.
4/21/13 4:24 PM
BendoBentJediOver
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gumball Kid -

He still looked impressive while doing so!

GIF machine!!! Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 4:25 PM
HELWIG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LMAO @ ending the article "I dont want to die"

4/21/13 4:26 PM
Shaqzula
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regardless of how entertaining his fight with Mir was he dominated a much larger fighter in the clinch for all three rounds. I'm going to save my prediction of how the possible fight with Jones will turn out until we see how Jones handles Sonnen's game. 

4/21/13 4:26 PM
GarlicSauce

He can't finish fights. He just grinds to decisions.

Wrestlers, they're a lot of fun to watch, aren't they?
4/21/13 4:27 PM
Damaynevent

Exactly what I expected from Cormier. He can't afford any loses at this point in his career so I expected to see him be careful and fight not lose. He planned it that way. If he says otherwise he's a fucking liar. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 4:30 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First fight in the UFC so it's understandable he wasn't at his best. Now that the jitters are gone I can't wait to see how he does another top rankes opponent. Phone Post
4/21/13 4:31 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Don't be too hard on yourself Chris. You beat a 2x UFC HW Champ who is a legit BB in BJJ who trained with one of the world's best MMA camps in your 1st fight ever in the world's biggest MMA promotions.
4/21/13 4:32 PM
nyhcloyalty
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - Don't be too hard on yourself Chris. You beat a 2x UFC HW Champ who is a legit BB in BJJ who trained with one of the world's best MMA camps in your 1st fight ever in the world's biggest MMA promotions.
Chris? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 4:33 PM
Kick Boxe
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supremexb - 
Kick Boxe - 

I've watched his last 6. Easy to be flash against lesser competition. Didn't see him slamming Mir

4/21/13 4:34 PM
Kerouac

Immaculata - Don't be too hard on yourself Chris. You beat a 2x UFC HW Champ who is a legit BB in BJJ who trained with one of the world's best MMA camps in your 1st fight ever in the world's biggest MMA promotions.

Evert Lloyd?
4/21/13 4:35 PM
supremexb

Kick Boxe - 
supremexb - 
Kick Boxe - 

I've watched his last 6. Easy to be flash against lesser competition. Didn't see him slamming Mir

Did u see when he knocked out the guy getting the next title shot?
4/21/13 4:41 PM
BendoBentJediOver
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - Don't be too hard on yourself Chris. You beat a 2x UFC HW Champ who is a legit BB in BJJ who trained with one of the world's best MMA camps in your 1st fight ever in the world's biggest MMA promotions.
Chris? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 4:42 PM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he dies, he dies.
4/21/13 4:43 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supremexb - 
Kick Boxe - 
supremexb - 
Kick Boxe - 

Did u see when he knocked out the guy getting the next title shot?

Get out of here with your logic.
4/21/13 4:47 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd have rather seen him lay an egg because at least that would be something a man hasn't done before.

Two men laying against the cage looked like the bar scene from Al Pacino's 'Cruising' although I argue they were a little harder on each other.

Cormier fought a safe fight to get a win in order to move forward.

It is ok and it is understandable but it's not going to get people to pay to see him or start demanding he gets a big fight.

Matt Brown is likely much less talented.

However more people would pay to see him fight after his bout on FOX.

It's about money.

If you just want to be sporting about things, go pay to enter the Mundials where nobody pays to watch.

In the fight game you need to be someone good enough that fans don't view your fight as a chance to hit the head and make a last beer run before the main event.

Cormier beat Mir but lost momentum. Phone Post
4/21/13 4:54 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nyhcloyalty - 
Chris? Phone Post 3.0

Lol.
4/21/13 4:57 PM
Kerouac

Big Country vs Chris Cormier - SHARKHEAD...14 mins ago...

Immaculata? Splainin time!
4/21/13 5:01 PM
Immaculata

Kerouac - 
Big Country vs Chris Cormier - SHARKHEAD...14 mins ago...

Immaculata? Splainin time!

Call me Chris :) I'd love to see Me vs. Big Country.
4/21/13 5:02 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke - I'd have rather seen him lay an egg because at least that would be something a man hasn't done before.

Two men laying against the cage looked like the bar scene from Al Pacino's 'Cruising' although I argue they were a little harder on each other.

Cormier fought a safe fight to get a win in order to move forward.

It is ok and it is understandable but it's not going to get people to pay to see him or start demanding he gets a big fight.

Matt Brown is likely much less talented.

However more people would pay to see him fight after his bout on FOX.

It's about money.

If you just want to be sporting about things, go pay to enter the Mundials where nobody pays to watch.

In the fight game you need to be someone good enough that fans don't view your fight as a chance to hit the head and make a last beer run before the main event.

Cormier beat Mir but lost momentum. Phone Post
Agreed. Top to bottom.

IMO he hurt his own stock with that fight. Casuals will see Frank as a bum, not a great fighter that Cormier outclassed. Phone Post
4/21/13 5:28 PM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GarlicSauce - He can't finish fights. He just grinds to decisions.

Wrestlers, they're a lot of fun to watch, aren't they?

12-0
3 decisions

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.