UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The day Jon Jones almost became a janitor

4/21/13 9:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The New York Times recently did an uneven profile of Jon Jones, that includes a description of how chance and fate played a major role in bringing him into mixed martial arts. World champions in other sports like baseball and soccer, characteristically start as children, and are groomed for years and years. By contrast, Jon Jones found MMA on a whim, via Twitter.

As the 185-pound state wrestling champion from Union-Endicott High School in Endicott, N.Y., Jones set his sights on the college wrestling powerhouses Iowa and Iowa State. Unable to qualify academically for those universities, he attended Iowa Central Community College, a five-time national junior college team champion, hoping to gain attention.

But after Jones won the 197-pound national junior college championship in 2006, he transferred to get a jump-start on a career as a police officer. He registered at Morrisville State College back in upstate New York to study criminal justice.

In the middle of his sophomore year, Jones’s longtime girlfriend, Jessie Moses, became pregnant with their first of three daughters, Leah, and his priorities shifted. He left college in 2007 five credits short of his associate degree, took a job as a nightclub bouncer and was close to accepting a full-time janitor’s position at Lockheed Martin for the health benefits.

At that point, fate, in the form of social media, stepped in. Someone on Twitter, who remains a stranger to Jones, saw his profile picture and offered the name of a local gym that trained mixed martial arts fighters. On a whim, Jones dropped by the place, Bombsquad MMA, in Cortland, N.Y., and began practicing for his debut fight, which took place in April 2008.

That timeline was not compressed for dramatic purposes. “It’s the God’s honest truth,” Jones said, laughing. “I had no real intention of being a UFC fighter, and this guy just threw the idea out there and I went with it.”

Read entire article...

4/21/13 9:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMArijuana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow.
4/21/13 9:52 PM
heavyweightmma

This leads me to believe there is a janitor named frank bob who would've been a multi-time UFC champ.
4/21/13 9:54 PM
shaqitup
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guess Jones never mastered the pull out method.

4/21/13 9:57 PM
deedzBJJ
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why couldn't he qualify academically, what were the requirements sounds like bs. Phone Post
4/21/13 10:08 PM
ChaosOverkill
566 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P4P Goat Janitor with those arms!

4/21/13 10:25 PM
T Bag

Good read
4/21/13 10:28 PM
ortman166

ChaosOverkill -

Lol this vu Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 10:29 PM
TheFlyingGentlemen

Crazy how life works
4/21/13 10:30 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trying to Swagger jack Vladdy, typical Jones...
4/21/13 10:31 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - 

Guess Jones never mastered the pull out method.

Based on his fight with Vitor, he still hasn't.
4/21/13 10:41 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure Joe Soto, Jon's college roommate in Iowa and future Bellator FW champ, is the guy that talked Jones into fighting iirc. Thought this article claims otherwise, that's the story I remember. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 10:42 PM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/21/13 10:43 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_SidRival - I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure Joe Soto, Jon's college roommate in Iowa and future Bellator FW champ, is the guy that talked Jones into fighting iirc. Thought this article claims otherwise, that's the story I remember. Phone Post 3.0
*though this article Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 10:49 PM
the geek
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

Don't know why but I read this a "Janitor with Goat arms".
4/21/13 11:58 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is one thing scarier about this article.

Think about what YOU were doing in 2007-2008.

Look at where you are now.

Yeah.

That's a meteoric ascent and some folks here who kiss his ass would have sneered at him back then.

This article combined with Frank Mir's quote about Hell is enough to motivate everyone to take steps necessary to become better than you are today with hopes of being something even better tomorrow. Phone Post
4/22/13 12:15 AM
UGCTT_Song2
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the geek -
ChaosOverkill - 

Don't know why but I read this a "Janitor with Goat arms".
He could fight the shark with t rex arms in a battle of the hybrids Phone Post
4/22/13 1:01 AM
ShakeR_

#1) If true, should the twitter stranger now seek out some form of compensation? At least in the form of autographed memorabilia?

#2) Could you imagine getting bounced by Jones at a bar? Would be a rough night / next morning... Phone Post
4/22/13 1:37 AM
SeanSheehanBA

28th of April 20Chael
4/22/13 7:02 AM
Soup Nazi
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool

4/22/13 11:29 AM
nomad1974
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

deedzBJJ -  Why couldn't he qualify academically, what were the requirements sounds like bs. Phone Post

These are the current requirements, may have been slightly different in '06, but not much. Keep in mind this is NOT football or basketball where some schools will "cook the books" to get a guy eligible. No money in wrestling, so no coach is going to risk it.

Graduate from high school.

Complete a minimum of 16 core courses.

Earn a minimum required grade-point average in core courses.

Earn a qualifying test score on either the ACT or SAT.

Request final amateurism certification from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
4/22/13 1:57 PM
i got banned

He would have swept the shit out of those floors.
4/22/13 2:20 PM
Brian J DSouza

Zed Wayne Zed - "Jake, look over there. See that guy sweeping the floor?

"Yeah?"

".....he's so f'n cocky, I hate him. Just weep the floors with respect, man, it's like this guy thinks he's the master of the broom. I f'n hate that guy, bro."

LMAO!

4/22/13 2:41 PM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke - There is one thing scarier about this article.

Think about what YOU were doing in 2007-2008.

Look at where you are now.

Yeah.

That's a meteoric ascent and some folks here who kiss his ass would have sneered at him back then.

This article combined with Frank Mir's quote about Hell is enough to motivate everyone to take steps necessary to become better than you are today with hopes of being something even better tomorrow. Phone Post
For that VTFU Phone Post 3.0
4/22/13 4:48 PM
edwims
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i got banned - He would have swept the shit out of those floors.

dude he is a dominant mma champion but as a professional janitor I would janitor his ass to bolivian

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.