UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Thomson: 'I didn't fight stupid'

4/21/13 10:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Before Saturday's UFC on FOX 7, Josh Thomson last fought in the UFC in 2004, being stopped by Yves Edwards and subsequently leaving the organization. Two years later Thomson became one of Strikeforce's first athletes and fought thirteen times under their banner with varied success.

In his return to the UFC, Thomson looked fantastic, finishing former lightweight contender Nate Diaz in the second round. The win he attributed to keeping a clear head and fighting smart:

"For me, this was a perfect fight," Thomson, a former Strikeforce champion, said after the event. "I fought smart. I didn't fight stupid. I did the things I needed to do, and I didn't get caught up in the banter. That was the biggest thing.

"In the second fight with Gil (Melendez) when him and I fought, I was getting frustrated. I got caught up in the brawl, and it cost me my title. So I told myself I would never do that again. Just go out there, and implement my gameplan, and I think that showed tonight."

read entire article...

4/21/13 11:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Caligulus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was a beautiful performance.
4/21/13 11:28 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The setups for those headkicks were just awesome!
4/21/13 11:30 PM
Kerouac

agree with both posts above
4/21/13 11:32 PM
MITman2k
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for the PUNK!(wish he still posted here)

4/21/13 11:33 PM
kid chaos
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MITman2k -

ttt for the PUNK!(wish he still posted here)

!! Phone Post 3.0
4/21/13 11:40 PM
stonepony

It just seems like the Diaz brothers have been solved... Anybody with good footwork and decent hands will beat them. If Cerrone gets a rematch, he'll win like he should have last time.

It's why the Diaz brothers flip everybody off and swear and talk and try to slap. Because they don't win unless their opponent stands flat-footed in front of them. That's why he knocked Cowboy's hat off, to draw him in to a flat-footed brawl.
4/21/13 11:44 PM
epic hero

stonepony - It just seems like the Diaz brothers have been solved... Anybody with good footwork and decent hands will beat them. If Cerrone gets a rematch, he'll win like he should have last time.

It's why the Diaz brothers flip everybody off and swear and talk and try to slap. Because they don't win unless their opponent stands flat-footed in front of them. That's why he knocked Cowboy's hat off, to draw him in to a flat-footed brawl.

Cerrone can't handle being pressured and lacks good footwork and doesn't have good hands, so there is no "should have" anywhere in the equation IMO
4/21/13 11:47 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - It just seems like the Diaz brothers have been solved... Anybody with good footwork and decent hands will beat them. If Cerrone gets a rematch, he'll win like he should have last time.

Yeah and if Thompson hadn't finished Nate like that and it went to decision it would have been nonstop "Josh Condit" whinning like was starting during the fight because Josh would stand out of range and back up with Diaz ran forward again and again, reset and landed kicks which foot only didn't do the damage the shin bone landing finally did.

Moral: Land a shinbone

4/21/13 11:48 PM
JoeMimic
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh fought a hell of a fight and stopped a Diaz. Much respect. Phone Post
4/21/13 11:51 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His performance was a thing of beauty.
4/21/13 11:52 PM
Got Reach
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was great Phone Post
4/22/13 12:00 AM
stonepony

8 Years 6 SherdogAccountsLater - 

That was a strange performance from Cerrone but Im not sure hed win a rematch at the same time.  Who was the last guy to beat Nate that didnt have really good wrestling?

Josh is also criminally underrated

Yeah don't get me wrong, I think Nate beats Cerrone more often than he beats any of the other top contenders. Because Donald's kick-boxing is plodding and flat-footed.

He certainly could have moved a lot better than he did though. Seemed like pride and ego caused him to just stand there and eat jabs the whole fight like a tard.
4/22/13 12:02 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you KO Nate Diaz then you've done something right.

4/22/13 1:02 AM
goldenboyart

Josh not only fought a smart fight but his leg kicks were Beautiful and so was this fight. Congrats to him for finishing a Diaz as well.

WAR Thomson
4/22/13 8:16 AM
Y2JB

Josh Thompson looked phenomenal. Between his and Condit's performance, I think the Diaz problem is essentially solved. Turn their taunting back on them. Ignore their schtick completely, circle off, create angles and they will come forward flat footed and take a beating.
4/22/13 9:00 AM
In Limbo
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

condit, gsp, and thompson all showed the OBVIOUS blueprint to beat a diaz

LEG KICKS, angles, and movement....keeping a level head

...look at how many opponenets fell into the diaz game of the bantering, taunting......how the Diazs used these tactics to draw their opponenets into sloppy emotional brawls that  involved the opponent angrily headhunting the granite chinned diaz to only be pitter pattered to frustration and exhaustion

4/22/13 9:03 AM
disbeliever
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
MahatmaPetey - His performance was a thing of beauty.

My feeling as well
4/22/13 9:34 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie

disbeliever - 
MahatmaPetey - His performance was a thing of beauty.

My feeling as well

4/22/13 9:37 AM
Ramon Maroni

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

fucking eh

I thought Josh looked great
4/22/13 9:39 AM
SecondBase
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep.
4/22/13 9:41 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ChaosOverkill -

Yeah and if Thompson hadn't finished Nate like that and it went to decision it would have been nonstop "Josh Condit" whinning like was starting during the fight because Josh would stand out of range and back up with Diaz ran forward again and again, reset and landed kicks which foot only didn't do the damage the shin bone landing finally did.

Moral: Land a shinbone

Or moral: ignore the idiots here who criticize condit or anyone else who fights smart against the Diaz brother. Phone Post
4/22/13 10:38 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie

there was so much difference between the leg kicks thompson was landing and the leg kicks of condit... you can't even compare the two
4/22/13 10:54 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

therealeags - 

Josh didn't KO Nate. Diaaz was improving his position while Josh dropped bombs on him,,,,,he went from flat on face/belly, to on his knees turtling taking bombs to one foot and one knee taking bombs.
That fight was over but he wasn't ko'd

Improving position is quite a stretch. Doesn't look like he got up on a foot to me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.