UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones wants to break record, then seek superfights

4/22/13 3:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During the UFC 159: Jones vs Sonnen conference call, Jon Jones laid out his plans to break Tito Ortiz' record for most consecutive UFC title defenses, and the seek superfights. Jones currently has five in a row, and will tie Tito if he beats Chael Sonnen Saturday night.

One more fight to break it, and then he wants to entertain superfight offers, presumably vs. Cain Velasquez, or Anderson Silva.

“One thing I’ve been contemplating is first tying Tito Ortiz, and then establishing that record of the most wins in my next fight, maybe in November,” said Jones. “And after that fight in November, entertaining super fights and heavyweight fights.”

When asked if a fight with Anderson Silva would be first, Jones responded "I said what I said."

For his part, Chael Sonnen vocally advocated for Jon Jones, and for Chael Sonnen.

“Here’s the reality with Anderson - I stomped that guy, deadpanned Sonnen. "And you can pick up his little arm as many times as you want and call him the winner, but the fact is, I whipped his ass for 30 minutes, he got the jump on me for less than 30 seconds. He never knocked me down, I fell down.

They say Anderson’s the best pound-for-pound, he’s not the best round-for-round. I have three 10-8 rounds in my entire career, I’ve fought 49 men. Three rounds of my whole life are 10-8 – that’s the gymanstics equivalent to a perfect 10 – it doesn’t happen in this sport, I doubt anyone on this call even has a 10-8 round. I’ve got three of them – they’re all against Anderson Silva.

"If you think Jon and Anderson are even close, I will run through Jon because I ran through Anderson. Now, I don’t think they’re close, I think Jon is considerably better than Anderson. But sometimes I hear that I don’t deserve this fight or that I’m not the right guy, but then I hear that Anderson could beat him. Well, you’ve got to be kidding me, I stomped Anderson Silva – twice.”

Transcription by MMA Lives Here.

Listen to entire media call:

4/22/13 3:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LEKS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think fighting middleweights should qualify as title defenses, but whatever... Phone Post 3.0
4/22/13 3:24 PM
SQUEEZIE

in b4, he is a hw...he cuts a lot of weight...he is only gd cause of reach.

looks like the ball will be in andy's court if he can make it past chris...will andy play ball?

4/22/13 4:22 PM
Leghound
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Silva's fights at 205 keep him from the consecutive title defense record?  They are still consecutive in his weight class though (not that obscure records matter in the end)

4/22/13 4:24 PM
Bigp5437

LEKS - I dont think fighting middleweights should qualify as title defenses, but whatever... Phone Post 3.0

That's not his fault that there wasn't anyone else out there ready for a title shot..
4/22/13 4:25 PM
DoomFarmer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to HW.
4/22/13 4:30 PM
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - Go to HW.

why, you don't like having a dominant champ at 205?
4/22/13 4:33 PM
John M
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SQUEEZIE - in b4, he is a hw...he cuts a lot of weight...he is only gd cause of reach.

looks like the ball will be in andy's court if he can make it past chris...will andy play ball?

Andy will beat Wiedman, then fight GSP first. A much easier fight for him, then maybe defend the mw belt once more, than fight Jones and retire.
4/22/13 4:50 PM
Bigp5437

KingofBJJ - Technically he is still undefeated. After body slammed The Hammer, he dislocated the guy's arm and then followed up with illegal elbows.

Herb Dean asked if he was okay to fight, The Hammer pointed to his shoulder and implied he could not. Herbe then DQ'd Jones for the elbows, because he thought he couldn't fight due to the elbows (which is also possible).

It was Mazzagatti reffing that fight, not Herb Dean
4/22/13 5:07 PM
Oblivious
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haven't read the thread so forgive me.

best time to have jones v silva for the fans is now. As silva will not be 39 or 40.

Best time for zuffa to have silva vs jones is when silva is that much older. No point in killing one of your golden gooses unless he's out the door anyways.

Clearly i don't think silva can compete at the level he is on when he is 39 or 40.

Silva would take him now imo.
4/22/13 5:16 PM
Phisher

KingofBJJ - Technically he is still undefeated. After body slammed The Hammer, he dislocated the guy's arm and then followed up with illegal elbows.

Herb Dean asked if he was okay to fight, The Hammer pointed to his shoulder and implied he could not. Herbe then DQ'd Jones for the elbows, because he thought he couldn't fight due to the elbows (which is also possible).

Mazzagatti reffed that fight, and the sequence of events that you described never happened. Maz tried to verbally comunicate with Hamill when his eyes were filled with blood after the 12-6 elbows, and he waived off the fight when he didn't get a response. The fact that Mazzagatti forgot that Hamill is deaf is almost as ridiculous his deteremination that the 12-6 elbows were the reason that Hamill couldn't continue. Hamill's shoulder was fucked from the throw, and Jones landed about three dozen legal punches and elbows that were unanswered in the mount before the first  12-6 elbow. Mazzagatti was content to let Hamill die in there before the illegal elbows landed. That was fucking terrible officiating.

It was probably a good learning experience for Jones though. I assume that these days he'd go for an easy on an opponent that was as helpless as Hamill was in that fight. He also doesn't deal with the all of the hype about when his first loss will come.

4/22/13 5:17 PM
Phisher

sacredhate - 
DoomFarmer - Go to HW.

No, he wants to see Jones lose like the rest of the people who complain about him fighting at 205 even though he doesn't have a problem making weight.

4/22/13 5:17 PM
DoomFarmer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate - 
DoomFarmer - Go to HW.

Not when it has trivialized the weightclass to the point of musical chair rematches.

It would be different if the fights had even been remotely competitive but they weren't at all.

LHW has nothing for him currently.

HW is a different landscape.
4/22/13 5:18 PM
DoomFarmer

Phisher - 
sacredhate - 
DoomFarmer - Go to HW.

No, he wants to see Jones lose like the rest of the people who complain about him fighting at 205 even though he doesn't have a problem making weight.

Don't attempt to speak for me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.