UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> McMann believes she has the skills to beat Rousey

4/23/13 9:39 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Sara McMann is set to make her UFC debut on the undercard of this weekend's UFC 159. McMann is a perfect 6-0 in her professional career and will fight Germany's Sheila Gaff. Like everyone women who is the UFC now, McMann is setting her sights on Ronda Rousey or more importantly the UFC women's bantamweight championship.

McMann believes that her skill set is exactly what it might take to win the title, and she might be right. McMann is an Olympic level level athlete and was the first every women in the United States to receive a silver medal in wrestling, which she did in 2004 in Athens. She recently spoke to MMAFightCorner's Heidi Fang about a potential fight with Rousey and her fight this weekend:

When asked if she thinks she has what it takes to beat Ronda Rousey, McMann said:

“I believe I do. I don’t think I’d be fighting if I didn’t either naturally have it or acquire it to be the best in the world. And if she gets beat by Cat, then I’ll have the skill set to beat Cat Zingano. And I just think that’s the way that every high level athlete thinks about those things

Her next test is Sheila Gaff, a striker fighting out of Germany. Gaff’s known for her knockout power and has stopped six opponents with her striking thus far. But to the wrestler who’s competed at a high level, Sara sees that as Gaff’s downfal

“I think that her greatest strength is her greatest weakness. The fact that she sets such a high pace and the fact that she is constantly attacking, that leaves a lot of room for error. That leaves a lot of room for you to be counter attack. Whenever you have that kind of style, either you win big or you lose big. That’s what I really think is going end up working against her. It’s a double edged sword.”

read entire article...

4/23/13 9:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMOZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liz said she had the skills to beat Rousey too, so did Tate last time they fought. Only way I see Rousey getting beaten is if one of these girls beats the shit out of her on the feet. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 9:54 AM
Ringgeneral
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She better go back to getting her Fitch on. She lost to Baszler in a clear bad decision, and she implied she will stand with Gaff, if that is true, she will get smoked.

It should be a safe fight if she uses her tools, Gaff has zero wrestling, the only person who can screw this up is McMann if she does something dumb.

If the fight is exciting, Gaff will win. If it's measured and methodical McMann walks over her.
4/23/13 9:55 AM
ABE FROMAN

Somebody better believe they can, otherwise women's fighting is going to start to be boring.

4/23/13 10:42 AM
SC MMA MD
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Sara plans to take Gaff down and gnp for the win. Gaff would not be my choice to test my striking against. Phone Post
4/23/13 11:13 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Edited: 04/23/13 11:13 AM
ABE FROMAN - 

Somebody better believe they can, otherwise women's fighting is going to start to be boring.

was tyson boring durin his prime?

i personally have no problems if rousey armabrs 20 chicks in a row in the first round..i love watching athletes that totally dominate their opposition and i think a lot of other people do too...

4/23/13 11:17 AM
ABE FROMAN

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
ABE FROMAN - 

i personally have no problems if rousey armabrs 20 chicks in a row in the first round..i love watching athletes that totally dominate their opposition and i think a lot of other people do too...

Methinks someone needs to read again before commenting.

4/23/13 11:34 AM

ABE FROMAN - 
ABE FROMAN - 

Methinks someone needs to lurn to write gud

i very reasonably read your statement to mean that she needs someone to threaten or beat her for women's fighting to be exciting...

4/23/13 11:39 AM
ABE FROMAN

ABE FROMAN - 
ABE FROMAN - 

i very reasonably read your statement to mean that she needs someone to threaten or beat her for women's fighting to be exciting...

You very reasonably read some bullshit you concocted in that pebble brain of yours, as usual.

The statement meant that women shouldn't be intimidated by Ronda and should believe they have the ability to win.

Your example of Tyson was the worst example ever, almost everybody who fought Tyson until Douglas was beaten before they ever stepped foot in the ring.

4/23/13 11:45 AM

ABE FROMAN - 
ABE FROMAN - 
ABE FROMAN - 

You very reasonably read some bullshit you concocted in that pebble brain of yours, as usual.

The statement meant that women shouldn't be intimidated by Ronda and should believe they have the ability to win.

Your example of Tyson was the worst example ever, almost everybody who fought Tyson until Douglas was beaten before they ever stepped foot in the ring.

1). of course there will be women who believe they can win silly. do you think liz thought she couldnt win? do you think mesiha thought she couldnt win? sarah?

2) you disproved your own statement dummy. you are saying tyson's opponents were beat b4 they entered the ring? well, were tyson fights boring?

go lift more weights and leave the thinking to me

4/23/13 11:53 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 04/23/13 11:53 AM

1). of course there will be women who believe they can win silly. do you think liz thought she couldnt win? do you think mesiha thought she couldnt win? sarah?

2) you disproved your own statement dummy. you are saying tyson's opponents were beat b4 they entered the ring? well, were tyson fights boring?

1) I think that women might be intimidated, thus cosigning what Sarah said.

2) You misinterpreted my very simple meaning and went off half-assed trying to answer, it's typical Goku shit, high-volume posting and very little in the way of supporting logic.

If thinking is what you call yourself doing then I guess being called a fucking idiot every time you post is your goal because that's what happens, you fucking idiot.

4/23/13 12:05 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone has a game plan, until they get arm barred.

4/23/13 12:08 PM
Authority Figure

Ringgeneral - She better go back to getting her Fitch on. She lost to Baszler in a clear bad decision, and she implied she will stand with Gaff, if that is true, she will get smoked.

It should be a safe fight if she uses her tools, Gaff has zero wrestling, the only person who can screw this up is McMann if she does something dumb.

If the fight is exciting, Gaff will win. If it's measured and methodical McMann walks over her.
If she goes the Fitch route, I'm turning that fight off and reading a book.

Who am I kidding? I don't read books. I will just use that time to read the OG. Phone Post
4/23/13 12:33 PM
Tru
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click For MMA Videos

Ronda would hang her arm on the mantle in under 2 minutes.

4/23/13 12:38 PM
Vikingknee

You can't Fitch rousey. She will get the arm bar within 5 rounds 100%. Someone needs to kick her in face flush like we just saw happen to Nate. That's how Someone will win not wrestle fucker her. She grapples with top GUYS. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 12:47 PM

ABE FROMAN - 

1) I think that women might be intimidated, thus cosigning what Sarah said.

2) You misinterpreted my very simple meaning and went off half-assed trying to answer, it's typical Goku shit, high-volume posting and very little in the way of supporting logic.

If thinking is what you call yourself doing then I guess being called a fucking idiot every time you post is your goal because that's what happens, you fucking idiot.

I misinterpreted your simple meaning, but it was not an unreasonably misinterpretation so u didnt have to go all roid rage on me and be a dick about it

4/23/13 12:54 PM
JOESONDO
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one besides her training partners knows what Rousey's gas tank is like or what she is like off her back. McMann can test those things and she is probably the only one right now. If she plays her game in the next fight (i.e. boring) we should be able to find out. If she stands and wangs we're never going to see this match-up.
4/23/13 12:57 PM
Nexuscrawlers
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 people who are not submission experts managed to get in a good position to try to sub rousey. i think it will take a good grappler to beat her, not a good striker.

we've seen grappler vs striker matchups before, and they usually go to the grappler unless the striker has really good defense. imo, there is a much better chance someone will submit rousey than there is a chance anyone will be able to stop the eventual toss into armbar. its gonna take a better well rounded grappler, not a well rounded striker imo.

imo, Coenen is the one to beat rousey. Mcmann has a chance, but not if she tries to do it by standing with her. Carmouche and Tate both probably could have subbed Rousey if they were a little more skilled at submissions.

4/23/13 2:19 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion, the 135 lber. with the best chance to beat Rousey is Alexis Davis. Her ground game is second to none, and she is a good striker as well.

As to McMann, I am really curious to see how this one goes: wrestlers lack 'finessee', and McMann is the finisher Rousey is. But she has been finished only once in her professional career (as wrestler, in grappling tournments and as a MMA fighter).

So, whereas she is not an excellent finisher (like Rousey is), she is very, very hard to finish as well.

4/23/13 2:20 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

* and McMann is NOT the finisher Rousey is. Sorry. Typo.
4/23/13 2:23 PM
epic hero

People are so high on WMMA right now, after McMann fights people are going to do a 180
4/23/13 3:53 PM
UGCTT_PowerMullet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like everyone women who is in the ufc now, I wild each it lol, that meets their naked.
4/23/13 3:54 PM
Nexuscrawlers
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - People are so high on WMMA right now, after McMann fights people are going to do a 180
Why do you say that? Phone Post
4/23/13 4:48 PM
Authority Figure

Nexuscrawlers -
epic hero - People are so high on WMMA right now, after McMann fights people are going to do a 180
Why do you say that? Phone Post
...you know why. Cause they want 80% action, 20% grappling. Phone Post
4/23/13 4:59 PM
BuddyRevell
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How's McMann's standup? Because if she takes Rousey down, she's just going to get armbarred like everyone else.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.