UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP wishes there were no rounds in MMA

4/23/13 5:52 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre recently appeared on the ever-phenomenal Joe Rogan Experience, and said he wishes there were no rounds in MMA.

Damon Martin ‏@DamonMartin
Georges St-Pierre says he wishes there were no rounds in MMA. That's the true way to determine who is the best fighter. #UFC

The remarks somewhat parallel those of UFC co-founder Rorion Gracie, who cited time limits as a reason for selling the UFC, when a Royce vs. Ken Shamrock superfight made a time limit mandatory in order to adhere to the PPV schedule.

“We had to time the fights now, so a winner could be declared” said Rorion in a 2009 interview. “But how do you determine a jiu-jitsu winner if he’s at the mercy of judges who don’t understand jiu-jitsu? A jiu-jitsu fighter fights on his back, with his opponent on top of him. He needs time to wear out his opponent, to ‘cook’ him like my father did. There were rounds, and I no longer wanted to be involved. I wasn’t happy. It’s like a girlfriend you love until she becomes a bitch.”

UFC 1 actually had a time limit, of a sort. The rules called for an unlimited number of five-minute rounds, although not a single fight during the sport's modern debut in 1993 made it to the mark.

So what do you think UG? Would rounds make a difference? And if so, does it matter?

The interview also covered a wide range of topics including weight cutting, superfights, Tommy Morrison's breast implants, and, of course, aliens.

"Anderson Silva is very big. I'm 190 pounds," said St-Pierre of the man he said was likely an alien.  "It's a lot of weight difference. If this fight happens one day we're going to have to decide what weight class and everything... I don't do a lot of weight cutting.  It would be easier for me to go and fight at 155 than fighting at 185. I would be more at my weight naturally.  There's guys at 155 that walk around at 190 like me. They think I'm big because I have a large frame, but I'm not a big guy. I'm not thick."

So what is next for the champ?

"Probably Hendricks," said St-Pierre. "We'll see what's going to happen.  We'll see with this fight. Now Silva is fighting Weidman and Hendricks is freaking out and wants to fight me.  We'll see what's going to happen."

4/23/13 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShoeMoney
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy my book!, MFCEO

I can't tell if he is saying he wants 25 mins with no rounds or no rounds no time limit period.

Either way IMO he has faded late in many of his last fights.  I think he is a amazing athlete but I don't think a point fighter would do well for 25 non stop mins.

4/23/13 6:05 PM
savage043
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd still be fighting Alves right now if there were no rounds no time limits Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 6:07 PM
KeithKizer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nevada SAC, Executive Director

I have only so much OT pay in my budget

4/23/13 6:08 PM
Heroic Rise
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

Holy crap! Phone Post
4/23/13 6:09 PM
Phisher

KeithKizer - 

LOL

4/23/13 6:09 PM
Kick Boxe
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer - 

Still wants a time limit, just no rounds. Would actually make the fights 2 minutes shorter because of no breaks.

p.s. the nsac is a joke

4/23/13 6:10 PM
R1WARRIOR

savage043 - He'd still be fighting Alves right now if there were no rounds no time limits Phone Post 3.0
LMFAO!!! True!!! Phone Post
4/23/13 6:10 PM
Brock Lobster
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he means fights should be 15/25 minutes nonstop, I agree. Would make judging alot easier and more finishes would happen. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 6:12 PM
ABE FROMAN
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer - 

4/23/13 6:12 PM
RJJH

Edited: 04/23/13 6:12 PM
savage043 - He'd still be fighting Alves right now if there were no rounds no time limits Phone Post 3.0

serious fucking LOL VTFU

4/23/13 6:15 PM
Buck 65

He's right, and MMA would be 10 times better is there were no rounds. Right now MMA is getting stale. At the top level, guys are good enough to know how to avoid getting finished, unless they stand and "wang" like fools to entertain the retard fans who wear affliction clothing. Also, it would most likely cut down on the decisions and idiots complaining about judges decisions or someone not finishing.
4/23/13 6:17 PM
WOOFticket
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

Soccer kicks please. Phone Post
4/23/13 6:18 PM
RML
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

What a time to chime in LOL Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 6:20 PM
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RML - 
KeithKizer -

What a time to chime in LOL Phone Post 3.0

Glad to see him post here.....

Now about all those awful judges you have, lets fix those
4/23/13 6:20 PM
Gobulcoque

KeithKizer - 

Just steal some more money from fighters for Marijuana metabolites, or better yet, how about you fire some of your incompetent judges. That outta free up some funds.
4/23/13 6:22 PM
Buck 65

KeithKizer - 

LOL nice
4/23/13 6:23 PM
RJJH

you people bitching to Keith are the reason we cant have nice things.

go slam your cocks in a desk drawer.

4/23/13 6:25 PM
The Gumball Kid

KeithKizer - 

LOL -- BOOM!

4/23/13 6:29 PM
Kirik
1384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
RJJH - 

you people bitching to Keith are the reason we cant have nice things.

go slam your cocks in a desk drawer.

+1 (figuratively though)

4/23/13 6:29 PM
Porkchop

lol that was funny Keith.

Can we get a link to the video of this when it is available? I really wanna watch this conversation.
4/23/13 6:32 PM
omgjoshjames
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

LOL. Awesome to see you posting here Phone Post
4/23/13 6:34 PM
Media Monster
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it - I'm planning on listening tomorrow and I feel like the title just gave me a spoiler

4/23/13 6:34 PM
Letibleu
1477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it was a good listen

4/23/13 6:35 PM
wisdomseeker76
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 round, no time limit. No judges. Tap out. Knock out. Referee stoppage. Corner stoppage. That would be awesome.
To ensure fights don't last for hours, something like this may work:
After 20 minutes of fighting, each fighters purse is deducted 1% every minute there after. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.