UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Video: Wayne Shamrock vs Don Nakaya Nielson (1992)

4/25/13 9:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Funaki Masakatsu #1
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

4/25/13 9:48 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - Saw this forever ago. Good ol Wayne getting down in there.

Any backstory on this? I know Ken and Funaki and those guys were Pro-wrestling and doing catch, how did they find Nielsen and get him to agree to the fight? Was there a rivalry? Any buildup/promos for this? Phone Post 3.0

There was a big rivalry between the kickboxers and the catch wrestlers in Japan. That's why you see so much emotion after Shamrock wins from all of the Japanese catch wrestlers who storm the ring. They were overjoyed. When Shamrock won, it was a victory for them essentially, a victory for their style. In an old subfighter video they show Nielson with his head buried in shame in his towel after the fight in the locker room as if he let down his martial art.

I don't think there was any buildup out of the ordinary for this because most of the Japanese fans thought ALL the pro wrestling matches were real in Fujiwara Gumi.

4/26/13 8:16 PM
Pro Ice
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks # 1

4/26/13 8:35 PM
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Thanks Very much!!!! Osu!
4/26/13 8:50 PM
William Colosimo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The show right before this (IIRC) featured Fujiwara vs Nielson. Nielson made Fujiwara look bad and stopped him in a minute or two IIRC. Probably legit.

Then they fed him to Ken.

Ken briefly mentioned this fight in his 2nd book.
4/29/13 10:11 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

ttt Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 11:10 AM
SamboMMA

ttt
4/29/13 3:28 PM
RearNakedToke
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

William Colosimo - The show right before this (IIRC) featured Fujiwara vs Nielson. Nielson made Fujiwara look bad and stopped him in a minute or two IIRC. Probably legit.

I can;t find any footage of the Nielsen vs Fujiwara match to see if it is a legit shoot. All I could find was this thread from a Pro Wrestling forum that had a now dead link and fans arguing if it was legit or not.

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/topic/50052-yoshiaki-fujiwara-vs-don-nakaya-nielsen/

4/29/13 4:07 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knuckleballs - Woah, a behind the neck keylock/americana! That's so cool that i can watch a pre-UFC fight and still see submissions that i have never seen.

I think Royce Gracie's biggest accomplishment was submitting this version of shamrock in one minute AND/OR making it to a decision with the even better version of shamrock.

The whole "Royce had an easy ride to the finals in UFC 1" argument is total BS; anyone on earth who had to go through shamrock at this point did not have it easy.

Yeah there are a lot of things you could say about Royce but Shamrock was the most dangerous fighter he could've faced in  UFC 1 and he schooled him.

4/29/13 5:06 PM
William Colosimo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - 
William Colosimo - The show right before this (IIRC) featured Fujiwara vs Nielson. Nielson made Fujiwara look bad and stopped him in a minute or two IIRC. Probably legit.

I can;t find any footage of the Nielsen vs Fujiwara match to see if it is a legit shoot. All I could find was this thread from a Pro Wrestling forum that had a now dead link and fans arguing if it was legit or not.

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/topic/50052-yoshiaki-fujiwara-vs-don-nakaya-nielsen/

From the looks of some of those posts, some of those guys were watching a different fight than I saw. This one barely went 90 seconds, someone over there is talking about round 3.

I have the fight (and the event) on vhs. PWF-Gumi shows used to be easy enough to find on the internet, now those same bootleg dealers still list them but say they're out of stock (a few months ago I tried buying the last batch of shows I'm missing)

I still need most of the 1991 shows- anyone that has them and wants to make $, pm me.
4/29/13 5:14 PM
DiazsBongWater
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightsfan - Ive heard him also called KEN WAYNE SHAMROCK, brother of FRANK JUAREZ SHAMROCK
He was billed as 'Kenneth Wayne Shamrock' in an early PRIDE hahaha Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 10:40 PM
BullyKiller
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice! VTFU FOR OP! Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 12:41 AM
vandelay
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
4/30/13 1:57 AM
Barry Soetoro Jr

LOL! Ken looked old already 20 years ago.
4/30/13 5:59 AM
muaythai1622
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool I have. Never seem this. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 6:57 AM
Megatherium
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goood one Ice!

Thanks again eh.
4/30/13 7:19 AM
Wiggy
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU - love this kind of footage
4/30/13 8:05 AM
SecretSeraphim
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 8:36 AM
thomase
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for pro ice! Epic

Big 'English' Tom Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 8:51 AM
Flannerz
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed for later
4/30/13 9:41 AM
Bench
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, thanks. I'll check this out later. Phone Post
5/1/13 2:27 AM
Pro Ice
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're welcome guys 

Thanks Bill

5/1/13 7:49 AM
The Diet Butcher
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - And does anyone know if Yoshiaki Fukiwara's "Submission Master" DVDs are anywhere for sale or torrent? From short clips I have watched it seems like a easy to understand instructional considering its in Japanese.

What about Submission Spirits? Phone Post 3.0

Save your $, no magical secrets in it. Half of it is hindu pushups and squats
5/1/13 9:38 PM
William Colosimo

Pro Ice - 

You're welcome guys 

Thanks Bill

Anytime
6/29/13 2:37 PM
Pro Ice

TTT for the Legend  Ken Wayne Shamrock!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.