UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why Cheick Kongo is NOT a great striker

4/24/13 5:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack -
caseharts -  I never got an email back from you bro Phone Post

Sorry man, had a crazy amount on this week - getting ready to go to Japan and was way behind on articles!

Will email you back tonight or tomorrow morning =) Love the idea and I'm sure some folks here will too!

Thanks I wasn't trying to annoy just making sure I didn't get forget!get back to me when you can and Good article. Whose next? Phone Post
4/24/13 6:32 PM
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 - An MMA fighters standup ability depends on his chin more than anything else.

We have seen sloppy fighters with good chins do well often. We have seen great strikers with weak chins get KOed often.
Which great strikers have we seen KOed? I equate great with technically skilled, not accomplishments... Phone Post
4/24/13 8:05 PM
dangerboy12
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eljamaiquino - 
dangerboy12 - An MMA fighters standup ability depends on his chin more than anything else.

We have seen sloppy fighters with good chins do well often. We have seen great strikers with weak chins get KOed often.
Which great strikers have we seen KOed? I equate great with technically skilled, not accomplishments... Phone Post

How can someone be considered great without accomplishments?
4/24/13 9:02 PM
MachidasBrew

Letibleu -
Jack Slack - 
Letibleu - 

I will read it all but i dont think we needed all those words to tell us what we all already knew :p

Love your work, it's helping me see MMA (and all combat sports) in a different light. I can pretend I know what i'm talking about with my friends a little better because of you!

Thanks for the kind words man!

I think most people are seeing Kongo's striking as pretty middling now but every time he fights it seems we hear about how great his striking is ;)

Thats because everyone is stuck in a time warp (2006) and remembers Rogan raving about this dudes striking.

"I zust wunt to fit for de tittel"

LOL Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 9:04 PM
Rusty Shackleford
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
4/24/13 9:05 PM
chrisbaker

Sub Phone Post
4/24/13 9:08 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - 
zazen br - I cant stand Jack Slack. All he does is type on his PC how every single UFC fighter is terrible at striking.

Why not try and beat one of these guys up for a change instead of being a pompous keyboard warrior? Phone Post 3.0

If that's what you think I do, you really don't understand.

If you only read the headlines I could see how you would get that impression though.

I wouldn't dream of saying someone like Cheick Kongo couldn't kick my arse from pillar to post with ANY aspect of his game - but everyone makes mistakes and knowing that is part of the magic of combat sports to me.

What I try to do is something that other journalists and analysts don't - use stills and footage to demonstrate stuff objectively. I try not to write down my opinion based off whether I like watching a fighter or not.

Your articles are good, but yes the thread titles are usually more than a little snarky.

4/24/13 9:10 PM
epic hero

^ gotta get them hits broseph
4/24/13 9:29 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight could either be incredibly exciting with a big KO from Roy or incredibly boring with Kongo clinching on the fence. I'm thinking Big Country lands the big KO. The openings are there and I think Roy will capitalize.

4/24/13 9:41 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand -  Nelson's clinch looked terrible against Mir and Werdum. Don't be surprised if Kongo spends the whole fight holding him there Phone Post

This is how I'm feeling Kongo could pick up a dull win too. Nelson got rag dolled by Mir and that guy's wrestling is horrible.

I'm giving Kongo a 40% chance of doing this. And it will be the worst fight on the card by far if it does Phone Post
4/24/13 11:45 PM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zazen br - I cant stand Jack Slack. All he does is type on his PC how every single UFC fighter is terrible at striking.

Why not try and beat one of these guys up for a change instead of being a pompous keyboard warrior? Phone Post 3.0

Did you read his articles on Anderson and GSP?

4/25/13 1:03 AM
JCON
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iPhone? Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 9:18 AM
tdunning
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haven't read it yet, but is it because he relies too much on kicking people in the nuts?
4/25/13 9:24 AM
MbA7601
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 9:29 AM
Royce Nelson
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - Haven't read it yet, but is it because he relies too much on kicking people in the nuts?
Lol wasn't it Thiago Silva's corner who told him to kick his opponent in the nuts? The guys know they can use at least one nut shot if they are tired. Greg Jackson 101 Phone Post
4/25/13 9:40 AM
eljamaiquino

dangerboy12 -
eljamaiquino - 

What I mean is that Anderson Silva and Pettis don't have Kickboxing titles, but they are great strikers. Kongo and Manhoef have Kickboxing experience but I wouldn't call them great strikers, although they're dangerous.

I guess I meant striking accomplishments outside mma... Phone Post
4/25/13 9:49 AM
Willin
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr. Slack keep doing your thing and ignore the philistines who don't understand your analysis. Excellent work, sir!

4/25/13 9:55 AM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 - 
eljamaiquino - 

I'd like to see some examples of both. sloppy fighters with great chins and great strikers with weak chins.
4/25/13 1:44 PM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheeky bump!

4/25/13 2:57 PM
eljamaiquino

rockyrocks90 -
dangerboy12 - 
eljamaiquino - 

I'd like to see some examples of both. sloppy fighters with great chins and great strikers with weak chins.
Chris Leben is the classic example of sloppy striking with a great chin. I can't think of a great striker with a weak chin. I was always taught that if you know you have a good chin, you're doing it wrong. The goal is to have defense so good that you never take the big shots to see the state of your chin..... Phone Post
4/25/13 3:37 PM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryanJ -

Well..in fairness...a groin strike is still a strike...and he is world class @ groin striking.  He has top of the food chain nut shot.  He may be the michael jordan of testicular damage. 

Lol. And he's French Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 5:11 PM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eljamaiquino - 
rockyrocks90 -
dangerboy12 - 
eljamaiquino - 

Chris Leben is the classic example of sloppy striking with a great chin. I can't think of a great striker with a weak chin. I was always taught that if you know you have a good chin, you're doing it wrong. The goal is to have defense so good that you never take the big shots to see the state of your chin..... Phone Post

Chris leben has done "well" but he hasent exactly beaten anyone noteable besides a washed up Wandy. im just making the point taht you wont see a "sloppy striker" have a belt any time soon.
4/26/13 3:21 PM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

4/26/13 3:21 PM
Jack Slack

TTT

4/28/13 4:38 AM
Jack Slack

Post fight bump!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.