UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Report: JBJ only surpassed by Sugar Ray Robinson

4/24/13 3:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in terms of accomplishments at his age.

"There could be debate whether Tyson or Ali – or MMA stars such as Rua, Fedor Emelianenko and others – were similarly dominant at the same age. But it would take going back to Sugar Ray Robinson, lauded by most as the greatest boxer who ever lived, to find a fighter who had accomplished more at a similar age than Jones."

"Starting with that match" (Bader), "Jones in his next six bouts faced fighters with a winning percentage of 82.9, who had 78 finishes and a combined record at the time he met them of 118-24-1. All but Bader had held the UFC light heavyweight title. Rua also won the PRIDE Grand Prix and Vitor Belfort won the UFC heavyweight tournament title (though that is not recognized as an official championship by the UFC).
His performance against elite fighters at his early age more than favorably compares with the greatest fighters in either boxing or MMA."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--how-does-jon-jones-stack-up-against-the-greatest-combat-sports-fighters-of-all-time--080115814.html
4/24/13 3:38 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw this earlier today. It's an interesting article. Jones will definitely go down as the GOAT in MMA (at least IMO).

4/24/13 4:12 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
4/24/13 4:25 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

I saw this earlier today. It's an interesting article. Jones will definitely go down as the GOAT in MMA (at least IMO).

Yes he will

Right below Silva
Phone Post
4/24/13 4:34 PM
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_nightkap - 

Yes he will

Right below Silva
Phone Post

He's a far more complete fighter than Silva, and tbh he's already fought better competition than Anderson has.

Reasonable men can differ, but I just think that Jones has more tools in his arsenal, will beat Silva when they fight, and when it's all said and done will be considered a better fighter.

4/24/13 4:55 PM
Williambonney

It's idiotic blogs like this that help make fans hate jones and think of him as a arrogant overrated brat. Jon may be a great mma fighter but he's not one of the all time greats and certainly shouldn't be compared to legends like Ali etc.
4/24/13 5:01 PM

Edited: 04/24/13 5:01 PM

Lol, who the hell thinks Jones is overrated?

4/24/13 5:03 PM
UGSlapshot

He should be compared to boxers because their boxers not MMA fighters.

I was under the impression boxing has a lot more competitors and therefore stiffer competition than mma had or has.

Either way it's like comparing the greatest football team to the greatest rugby team, it really doesn't work. Phone Post
4/24/13 5:04 PM
UGSlapshot

UGSlapshot - He should be compared to boxers because their boxers not MMA fighters.

I was under the impression boxing has a lot more competitors and therefore stiffer competition than mma had or has.

Either way it's like comparing the greatest football team to the greatest rugby team, it really doesn't work. Phone Post
Shouldn't * Phone Post
4/24/13 5:05 PM
Poonug
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respectfully, Jones has a way to go before he will be the goat. The potential is there though.

I personally feel silva is the goat, simply because of the way he dispatches opponents. While other champions win through hard fought decisions, silva owns. I feel jones will get there though. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 5:08 PM

UGSlapshot -  He should be compared to boxers because their boxers not MMA fighters.

Agreed. Boxing still has much more talent than MMA does, and that's not an indictment against MMA - boxing is just a much older and more established sport.

4/24/13 5:09 PM
DoomFarmer
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roll out the red carpet, feed him grapes whilst the media fellates him and gives him a pedicure. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 5:51 PM
Lazer MMA

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
UGSlapshot -  He should be compared to boxers because their boxers not MMA fighters.

Agreed. Boxing still has much more talent than MMA does, and that's not an indictment against MMA - boxing is just a much older and more established sport.

Would love a poll on that. I don't follow boxing any more. The talent in MMA now is sick iMO
4/24/13 5:57 PM
Entreri

Jones resume is filled more top talented fighters than Silva's and Jones is still young.
4/24/13 5:58 PM
Bob Saget Bottom Team

Hahahahahaahaha Phone Post
4/24/13 6:00 PM

Lazer MMA - 

Would love a poll on that. I don't follow boxing any more. The talent in MMA now is sick iMO

I'll make a poll and credit you. I'm also interested in this.

4/24/13 6:03 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones will go down as one of the most effective fighters ever. But his performances are not of the caliber of Silva and I doubt they ever will be. Watching Jones is seeing frightening athletic ability and dynamic variety. Watchimg Silva is watching a performance: pure art.

People will value different things ultimately, but both guys bring something special to the sport. I consider Jon a strong willed athlete. I consider Silva a true martial arts genius
4/24/13 6:12 PM
Lazer MMA

Lazer MMA - 

TY man. No credit needed. I'm just interested in the results.
4/24/13 6:17 PM
minotauro11
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know. It depends how his run at Heavyweight goes. As of now he has been very impressive but every big name he has beaten has either been a middleweight or on the downside of their careers with the exception of Machida. I'm not trying to shit all over his accomplishments because there's no doubt what he has done is incredible but I'd like to see more before claiming he's the GOAT. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:17 PM

Lazer MMA - 
Lazer MMA - 

TY man. No credit needed. I'm just interested in the results.

It's an MMA forum, so naturally it's gonna be skewed in MMA's favor.

4/24/13 6:18 PM
Lazer MMA

HUM, could be LOL!
4/24/13 6:21 PM

minotauro11 - 

I don't know. It depends how his run at Heavyweight goes. As of now he has been very impressive but every big name he has beaten has either been a middleweight or on the downside of their careers with the exception of Machida. I'm not trying to shit all over his accomplishments because there's no doubt what he has done is incredible but I'd like to see more before claiming he's the GOAT. Phone Post 3.0

They're not "middleweights". If you're referring to Machida, Shogun, and Evans, then you're wrong.  Just because some guys are smaller at the weight, it doesn't mean that they'd be better at MW.  Evans, Machida and Shogun are 3 of the most accomplished LHWs in history and have never even fought at MW, so I'm not sure what you're point is.

And no doubt that Anderson is the GOAT. It's not even close between him and Jones at the moment. I was saying that Jones will go down as the GOAT when he retires.

Jones has already fought better competition than Anderson has (IMO).  The Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Evans wins were better than Anderson's 4 best wins (Henderson, Vitor, Forrest and Sonnen).

4/24/13 6:23 PM
Lazer MMA

Not to mention Evans and Machida are not CLOSE to over the hill too kick
4/24/13 6:27 PM
eljamaiquino

UGCTT_nightkap - 

Yes he will

Right below Silva
Phone Post

He's a far more complete fighter than Silva, and tbh he's already fought better competition than Anderson has.

Reasonable men can differ, but I just think that Jones has more tools in his arsenal, will beat Silva when they fight, and when it's all said and done will be considered a better fighter.

He's not more complete than Silva. He's great in wrestling, but Silva is great in striking, and better at BJJ. If bones had Anderson's reach, his striking and Bjj would be viewed totally different. Jones cannot even slip a punch. He literally turned and ran away from Rampage, and his long arms are a key to all his chokes. If you said GSP was better all around, you might have a point, but Jones' reach and physique are a deciding factor in all of his wins. Phone Post
4/24/13 6:27 PM

Shogun was coming off being the first man ever to beat Machida (by KO no less) when he fought Jones, Rampage had beaten Machida and Hamill back-to-back before he fought Jones, and Rashad was on a 4 fight win streak over Thiago Silva, Rampage, Ortiz and Phil Davis before he fought Jones.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.