UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ken Shamrock: "UFC is taking advantage of fighters

4/27/13 7:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Re: Acquisition of Explosion Entertainment, LLC (Strikeforce) by Zuffa, LLC (UFC)
FTC File No. 111 0136

Dear Mr. Axinn:

The Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Competition has been conducting a nonpublic investigation to determine whether Zuffa, LLC’s acquisition of Explosion Entertainment, LLC may violate Section 7 of the Clayton Act or Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Upon further review of this matter, it now appears that no further action is warranted by the Commission at this time. Accordingly, the investigation has been closed. This action is not to be construed as a determination that a violation may not have occurred, just as the pendency of an investigation should not be construed as a determination that a violation has occurred. The Commission reserves the right to take such further action as the public interest may require.

By direction of the Commission.

Donald S. Clark
Secretary

Pertinent parts bolded. . .

4/27/13 11:52 AM
sniper1026
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FloridaStriker - If MMA was ran like boxing, which is what all the whining about money comes from. MMA would of already been dead and gone. Its a spectical. There's only so much interest youre going to get for two grown men punching each other in the face. Without all the bells and whistles. MMA is a none sport. Cant expect a fighter, a guy who punches people in the face for a living, to understand anything that extends beyond that

Dana did it right. The people on the bottom end of the totem pole are always going to complain about the guys at the top. Ken is trying to justify his own bad choices by placing blame on Dana and company. He was bad with money. And this is his bed

Yep!
4/27/13 12:13 PM
RyannVonDoom

AllAmericanBoxing -
RyannVonDoom - And if those guys stop fighting to go be hvac techs.... Where does our sport go? Phone Post 3.0
Is this a joke? Phone Post
It's not hard to understand, if all the up and comersgive up mma because there's no money in it, where does the sport go? Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 12:16 PM
xakx

lol
4/27/13 12:18 PM
xakx

Edited: 04/27/13 12:18 PM
For once I agree with Ken. This is no news and he kept quiet about it for many years because he was getting paid. Now I guess he got nothing to lose so he blasts them. I bet its all true an accurate. Sounds like it!
4/27/13 12:57 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban paintings!
4/27/13 1:17 PM
AllAmericanBoxing
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom -
AllAmericanBoxing -
RyannVonDoom - And if those guys stop fighting to go be hvac techs.... Where does our sport go? Phone Post 3.0
It's not hard to understand, if all the up and comersgive up mma because there's no money in it, where does the sport go? Phone Post 3.0
Even if GSP and Anderson made 75k a year there would still be thousands of fighters all across the world gunning for their spot. Phone Post
4/27/13 1:20 PM
AllAmericanBoxing
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nucky -
time traveling 12er - 

I wonder how many of the people complaining about fighter pay are the same ones complaining that they wouldn't pay to see those fighters fight?  You want those lower end fighters to make 500k?   Would you pay 75$ to watch a card headlined by those same people?

You know damn well Ken is not talking about some new UFC fighter on the Undercard making 10k should be making 500k a fight...Pretty much every UFC Champion has fought for fucking peanuts for quite a few title defenses because they get that fuck boy contract that of course you got to sign or you aint getting into the UFC.

You only get to renegociate  your contract after you have went on a tear of title defenses.  Hell most of the UFC roster that has made good money is only because of sponsors.  What most of you fail to understand is when you even see a  top 5 ranked on a card making 10-30k a fight after taxes it gets laughable expecially if they only get 1-2 fights a year.  Fucking bag boy at the grocery store makes more a year.

If they don't like the pay they will become a bag boy than. If fighters want more pay than a lot of people are going to have to take a stand cuz at this point if they don't like the pay some kid from Brazil will take it. Phone Post
4/27/13 2:32 PM
time traveling 12er
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

I wonder how many of the people complaining about fighter pay are the same ones complaining that they wouldn't pay to see those fighters fight?  You want those lower end fighters to make 500k?   Would you pay 75$ to watch a card headlined by those same people?

You know damn well Ken is not talking about some new UFC fighter on the Undercard making 10k should be making 500k a fight...Pretty much every UFC Champion has fought for fucking peanuts for quite a few title defenses because they get that fuck boy contract that of course you got to sign or you aint getting into the UFC.

You only get to renegociate  your contract after you have went on a tear of title defenses.  Hell most of the UFC roster that has made good money is only because of sponsors.  What most of you fail to understand is when you even see a  top 5 ranked on a card making 10-30k a fight after taxes it gets laughable expecially if they only get 1-2 fights a year.  Fucking bag boy at the grocery store makes more a year.

So how much should they be making then?  Whats your fighters minium?  Let's hear some numbers rather than generic "they should make more" talk. 

The average for a bag boy a year is like 15k.  You're telling me there are top 5 fighters that make less than 15k a year?  I find it hard to beleive there's even a single top 5 fighter that makes that little.  You're still living in some fantasy land where fighters only get their disclosed pay.  They get sponsorship money, signing bonuses, performance bonuses.  Not to mention whatever other money they generate by selling the fact that they fight for the UFC.  And before you complain that the UFC has nothing to do with sponsors... you really think someone is going to drop a bunch of money on a guy fighting in Cleetuses Fight Shack in Mobile Alabama?  Their ability to attract sponsors and how much they get paid is directly related to what org they fight in and how much exposure that org gives that fighter.

When fighters are unproven, they don't get paid as much.  This is true.  Why?  Because they don't generate enough money to warrant a higher contract.  It does suck that they get stuck on their lower pay scale for however many fights they have signed.  But supposedly they pay out bonuses to make up for that.   Their contracts do heavily favor the org but it's no different in Bellator or any other major org that comes up.  Why do you suppose that is?  Maybe because the market can sustain it and giving fighters freedom to bolt after every fight isn't conducive to an org that can survive more than a few years.  I'm all for arbitration and renegotiation in contracts.  But are you sure the fighters would like it?  Becaseu if you open up arbitration, that opens it up for the UFC to drop your pay if you underperform. 

Bottom line is that if it's sustainable to pay fighters significantly more and still be profitable, someone's going to do it.  Bellator is backed by billions, they can certainly afford to pay more.  They have a tv deal.  Why not ask them to pay everyone more?  Why is it all on the UFC?  If they do it, then fighters should flock there right?

4/27/13 4:13 PM
RyannVonDoom

Othello -
AllAmericanBoxing - 
RyannVonDoom -
AllAmericanBoxing -
Even if GSP and Anderson made 75k a year there would still be thousands of fighters all across the world gunning for their spot. Phone Post

There will always be thousands of "fighters". However the quality of those fighters will be seriously lacking because even a mediocre athlete would be able to do better in other sports. Quality friend, quality.
I agree 100% Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 5:12 PM
Dominique Robinson
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sirjoshua - "They are putting 100k paintings on the wall instead of putting 100k in their fighters pocket"
Some truth here Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 5:36 PM
AllAmericanBoxing

RyannVonDoom -
Othello -
AllAmericanBoxing - 
RyannVonDoom -
AllAmericanBoxing -

There will always be thousands of "fighters". However the quality of those fighters will be seriously lacking because even a mediocre athlete would be able to do better in other sports. Quality friend, quality.
A mediocre athlete/mma fighter who grew up wrestling/doing bjj/ muay Thai or whatever their whole life is just going to decide to switch to soccer or baseball cuz there is less of a chance of being rich? I don't believe that some guys want to be called champion of the world no matter the pay day. Mother fuckers all across the world put on more exciting fights than some ufc fighters and they don't get paid shit. Maybe the money is corrupting the sport and getting these mediocre athletes to point fight their way to a w instead of tough sobs with budo who wanna knock the other guy out no matter the cost. I don't even give a fuck if this is a coherent rant or not but acting like the ufc is Julius Caeser forcing slaves to fight is ridiculous!!! Phone Post
4/27/13 5:40 PM
RyannVonDoom

AllAmericanBoxing - 
RyannVonDoom -
Othello -
AllAmericanBoxing - 
RyannVonDoom -
AllAmericanBoxing -

A mediocre athlete/mma fighter who grew up wrestling/doing bjj/ muay Thai or whatever their whole life is just going to decide to switch to soccer or baseball cuz there is less of a chance of being rich? I don't believe that some guys want to be called champion of the world no matter the pay day. Mother fuckers all across the world put on more exciting fights than some ufc fighters and they don't get paid shit. Maybe the money is corrupting the sport and getting these mediocre athletes to point fight their way to a w instead of tough sobs with budo who wanna knock the other guy out no matter the cost. I don't even give a fuck if this is a coherent rant or not but acting like the ufc is Julius Caeser forcing slaves to fight is ridiculous!!! Phone Post

uh what? I've never made the correlation, but since you made it for me.. why not. They drive the prices, I don't care that Bellator's around, they are NOT on the same footing to compete. Zuffa drives the price of the fighters, they literally have the power to say "well if you don't like it, fuck you."  

Thing about what you're saying here is.. if they cannot make a living for this, they will go elsewhere. Again, what happens then? 

4/27/13 5:46 PM
AllAmericanBoxing

Whoa going elsewhere? Lyle Beerbohm split firewood for a living waiting for a fight after getting cut from Strikeforce. He didn't leave mma even though he was struggling and I bet you he would have killed for an 8-8 contract from Zuffa at the time. I'm just using that example because he is a good athlete but you can't just up and change sports like nothing at the professional level. Phone Post
4/27/13 6:25 PM
CindyO

Macedawgg - 
CindyO - 
56sav - If Zuffa doesn't want to be criticized they shouldn't buy up rival organizations just to let them die, or have inter-organizational events IMO. They have a monopoly on the fight game. UFC needs a fighter's union.

They have a monopoly on the fight game.

The government disagrees:)

Cindy

You might want to look at what the FTC actually investigated Cindy-O, and what action they took. 

It isn't what you think.

LOL! Very well... then change my response to the government didn't agree;)

Cindy

4/27/13 6:27 PM
AllAmericanBoxing

willienugget - I don't know if it's where he was going with it, but it's not about a dude having a rough go and deciding to switch careers. It's about a little kid putting his head on a pillow and dreaming of being a fighter rather than a basketball player.
I think the pc, over protective society we live in will have more of an effect on that than fighter pay. But that's just me. Phone Post
4/27/13 6:47 PM
CindyO

Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

Pretty much every UFC Champion has fought for fucking peanuts for quite a few title defenses because they get that fuck boy contract that of course you got to sign or you aint getting into the UFC.

Which champs? How much did they make and how much should they have made?

You only get to renegociate  your contract after you have went on a tear of title defenses. 

Zuffa allows fighters to renegotiate current contracts for more money (if they're winning) with fights remaining?

Hell most of the UFC roster that has made good money is only because of sponsors. 

Since it has happened with most of the fighters on the roster can you give some examples (fighters names, purse amounts, bonuses and sponsorship amounts)? Or how about at least one solid example?

What most of you fail to understand is when you even see a  top 5 ranked on a card making 10-30k a fight after taxes it gets laughable expecially if they only get 1-2 fights a year.  Fucking bag boy at the grocery store makes more a year.

Which top 5 fighters make $10k-$30k?

Cindy

4/27/13 6:55 PM
CindyO

xakx - For once I agree with Ken. This is no news and he kept quiet about it for many years because he was getting paid. Now I guess he got nothing to lose so he blasts them. I bet its all true an accurate. Sounds like it!

Yeah, Ken is so "in the know" about fighter pay when he hasn't been on the UFC roster since 2006 and hasn't been intimately associated with a single guy in the UFC in years=) Yup, I'd say this is a mans word is legit and owing Zuffa something like $180,000 in atty fees has no bearing on what he has to say in the media about them! lol

Cindy

4/27/13 6:58 PM
CindyO

time traveling 12er - 
Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

So how much should they be making then?  Whats your fighters minium?  Let's hear some numbers rather than generic "they should make more" talk. 

The average for a bag boy a year is like 15k.  You're telling me there are top 5 fighters that make less than 15k a year?  I find it hard to beleive there's even a single top 5 fighter that makes that little.  You're still living in some fantasy land where fighters only get their disclosed pay.  They get sponsorship money, signing bonuses, performance bonuses.  Not to mention whatever other money they generate by selling the fact that they fight for the UFC.  And before you complain that the UFC has nothing to do with sponsors... you really think someone is going to drop a bunch of money on a guy fighting in Cleetuses Fight Shack in Mobile Alabama?  Their ability to attract sponsors and how much they get paid is directly related to what org they fight in and how much exposure that org gives that fighter.

When fighters are unproven, they don't get paid as much.  This is true.  Why?  Because they don't generate enough money to warrant a higher contract.  It does suck that they get stuck on their lower pay scale for however many fights they have signed.  But supposedly they pay out bonuses to make up for that.   Their contracts do heavily favor the org but it's no different in Bellator or any other major org that comes up.  Why do you suppose that is?  Maybe because the market can sustain it and giving fighters freedom to bolt after every fight isn't conducive to an org that can survive more than a few years.  I'm all for arbitration and renegotiation in contracts.  But are you sure the fighters would like it?  Becaseu if you open up arbitration, that opens it up for the UFC to drop your pay if you underperform. 

Bottom line is that if it's sustainable to pay fighters significantly more and still be profitable, someone's going to do it.  Bellator is backed by billions, they can certainly afford to pay more.  They have a tv deal.  Why not ask them to pay everyone more?  Why is it all on the UFC?  If they do it, then fighters should flock there right?

Tried to vote this post up but it hasn't been 24 hours since I did so the last time;) Will try again later.

Cindy

4/27/13 7:07 PM
Jaybrone
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/27/13 7:07 PM

I will with hold my comments since this topic always leads to getting voted down.

4/27/13 7:23 PM
RyannVonDoom

CindyO - 
time traveling 12er - 
Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

Tried to vote this post up but it hasn't been 24 hours since I did so the last time;) Will try again later.

Cindy

If they made it to the UFC, they aren't unproven though. 

4/27/13 7:39 PM
CindyO

RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO - 
time traveling 12er - 
Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

Cindy

Getting a shot in the UFC is when the proving begins. Anything they did prior to that only got them to the door, you know that Ryann.

Cindy

4/27/13 8:01 PM
RyannVonDoom

CindyO -
RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO - 
time traveling 12er - 
Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

Cindy

Getting a shot in the UFC is when the proving begins. Anything they did prior to that only got them to the door, you know that Ryann.

Cindy

Okay. So that means you can short change those who have earned their way in? Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 8:11 PM
AllAmericanBoxing

Those who have earned there way in are better than the average joe mma'er. But if they weren't fighting elite talent in a top organization then they don't deserve the investment from zuffa. At that point they are a replaceable commodity. It's their job to prove there fighting ability/marketability. Phone Post
4/27/13 9:18 PM
CindyO

RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO -
RyannVonDoom - 
CindyO - 
time traveling 12er - 
Nucky - 
time traveling 12er - 

Cindy

Cindy

Okay. So that means you can short change those who have earned their way in? Phone Post 3.0

Who is getting short-changed? Can they sign with anyone else and make more money and get better opportunities? 99% of the time, no.

I dayum sure wouldn't buy a car w/o test driving it just because I thought it looked like it performed well in a movie or because my neighbor said it was worth X amount. I might lease it for a few months until I see how well it performs for ME... then pay big bucks for it if its all that and a bag of chips. If not, I'm gonna get rid of it and lease something else because keeping it and tying up my money might prevent me from being able to buy something else more suitable for MY needs.

Zuffa imports and leases a variety of nice cars based on their past performance and reputation to test drive (sign new talent). Those cars performing well for THEM end up getting purchased and are well taken care of (signed to longterm lucrative deals). Those that don't essentially get traded in for others (cut so other athletes can be test driven). I personally don't see anything wrong with it, do you? If so (and using the car analogy please) how would you handle running the car lot if you were Zuffa?

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.