4/24/13 8:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I knew he would never fight Anderson. Shame Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 8:08 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I respect GSP's decision and I'm a fan, but I wish he just came right out and said he wouldn't fight Silva from the beginning.

He's been dancing around the question for years and it's been obvious to everyone that he simply doesn't want this fight, not now, not ever.

So Georges, just say 'no' and put this to rest for good?
4/24/13 8:11 PM
OCMikelob
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ortman166 - I knew he would never fight Anderson. Shame Phone Post 3.0
I'm with you on it being a shame, but Anderson is quite a bit bigger than GSP. I can understand why he doesn't want to. (Don't get me wrong, shit I'd fight Anderson for the money they would be making) but Bones vs Anderson makes so much more sense and is the ultimate superfight imo.

I just hope they do this shit soon before Anderson gets even older than he already is. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 8:25 PM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball - Maybe GSP could move up and try to test himself against a fighter not named Anderson Silva, just for the challenge. It's not unheard of.

I suppose, though he could probably reply that taking the years of challenges necessary to become and hold the WW title is still a lot more than most of the people complaining about his not going up have done.

My job has never required getting punched, slammed, and training to exhaustion for years, and when I started studying towards it there was a much higher chance of getting a good income out of it than he had becoming WW champ. Its turned out well for him, but its hard to seriously believe he's adverse to a challenge, given the way he chose to try (and ultimately succeed) making his living.

In retrospect it might be "obvious" that he'd do well in MMA. At the time, I suspect he had a lot of doubts to overcome - when you start something like MMA, most of the guys you train with are better than you, and you end up pretty bruised for a long time. Pretty challenging in my opinion.

Same is true for anyone who sticks it through to get to the UFC, or for that matter, most pro sports. There's a lot of effort and bruises for very little reward for a long time, and most people never make any money.

In the case of him fighting Anderson, he'd probably argue he paid his dues years ago, when he was up and coming and fighting for peanuts against guys with a lot more experience than he had. He's probably thinking that its time to reap the rewards of his efforts.

I think it'd be an interesting fight (I'd bet on Anderson), but I'm not going to call him a coward (I know you didn't say this either, but many are), or way he's risk adverse for not doing it, nor would I say either of Anderson for not going up to fight Jones at 205. They're already proven they've both guts (getting in the cage with the guys they fight at that level isn't like your typical office job), and the ability to challenge themselves for years when success was anything but guaranteed.
4/24/13 8:39 PM
Goblowyourself
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight won't happen, Georges doesn't want it to. The end. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 8:40 PM
Goblowyourself
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I'm a big gsp fan Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 8:48 PM
Lazer MMA

1st of all he just said on podcast per other threads that the AS fight at 75 was possible I read. WTF I never expected the fight for years already, tired of the talk of it.

The greatest superfight we hope will come off. Leave GSP alone, leave the little guy alone.
4/24/13 8:51 PM
Vikingknee

subwrassler - 190 in the cage at fight time isn't a big WW?
It's not bigger than Average Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 8:52 PM
Lazer MMA

Hendo too RFLAG
4/24/13 8:53 PM
ABE FROMAN

Good. Please stop this fight.

4/24/13 8:59 PM
Silverball
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

georgejonesjr - 
Silverball - Maybe GSP could move up and try to test himself against a fighter not named Anderson Silva, just for the challenge. It's not unheard of.

I suppose, though he could probably reply that taking the years of challenges necessary to become and hold the WW title is still a lot more than most of the people complaining about his not going up have done.

My job has never required getting punched, slammed, and training to exhaustion for years, and when I started studying towards it there was a much higher chance of getting a good income out of it than he had becoming WW champ. Its turned out well for him, but its hard to seriously believe he's adverse to a challenge, given the way he chose to try (and ultimately succeed) making his living.

In retrospect it might be "obvious" that he'd do well in MMA. At the time, I suspect he had a lot of doubts to overcome - when you start something like MMA, most of the guys you train with are better than you, and you end up pretty bruised for a long time. Pretty challenging in my opinion.

Same is true for anyone who sticks it through to get to the UFC, or for that matter, most pro sports. There's a lot of effort and bruises for very little reward for a long time, and most people never make any money.

In the case of him fighting Anderson, he'd probably argue he paid his dues years ago, when he was up and coming and fighting for peanuts against guys with a lot more experience than he had. He's probably thinking that its time to reap the rewards of his efforts.

I think it'd be an interesting fight (I'd bet on Anderson), but I'm not going to call him a coward (I know you didn't say this either, but many are), or way he's risk adverse for not doing it, nor would I say either of Anderson for not going up to fight Jones at 205. They're already proven they've both guts (getting in the cage with the guys they fight at that level isn't like your typical office job), and the ability to challenge themselves for years when success was anything but guaranteed.

I'm still not clear on why you quoted my post before posting yourself.

4/24/13 9:03 PM
SinCityHustler

I'd rather not see the GSP/Anderson fight because it is such a mismatch.  GSP has virtually nothing for Silva.  The thing I don't get that so many MMA fans fall for is his claim of needing to put on weight.  That is simply ricockulous. Anderson isn't going to destroy him because he is heavier or stronger, he is going to destroy him because he is longer, quicker, and has MUCH better movement both with his feet and with his strikes.  GSP adding weight only makes him more of a target. It works against him.  His ideal size to come in at would be just how he normally comes in for his welter weight fights, but simply stop his cut when he gets to 185 pounds.  He feels better, he is at his strongest, and his conditioning is at an optimum level, (not that he will need it, the fight isn't going past the 1st round).  But so many have bought into the silly notion of needing to add weight in order to what, better take a knee to the face?  

I like GSP.  He is one of the nicest people, (forget just MMA) I have ever met.  He is ultra talented and he is great for MMA as long as he doesn't fail a drug test, (that would be bad).  But enough with the excuses already.  We get it, you don't want to get Matt Serra'd again X 10, who would?  Fine, how about just saying you have no interest in going to 185 any longer and leave it at that?  The excuses, (although they work on so many fans of this sport) are so poor and transparent, they almost meke me dislike the guy.  

4/24/13 9:13 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

And I don't have a problem with him not going up as he'd most certainly lose.  It's not like other champs are going up (other than the man BJ of course) either.  And it's not like the money should even be a factor.  Instead of getting his ass kicked by Anderson for $10M he can just beat up Nick and Condit again for $5M each, make the same amount, and be still undefeated at the end of his career.

Exactly! Kinda like Jon Jones can rake up the cash fighting several middleweights instead of actually challenging himself for the big paydays! It's just smart business...

4/24/13 9:16 PM
Steven McTowelie
455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_CloudStrife -

I could be wrong but I didn't really get that from him while listening to the podcast. That quote for GSP was in response to Rogan asking him what if Anderson comes down to 170.  He said if he wants to make 170 he can.  To me I got the same non commited answer he always gives.  Of course I could have missed something.

. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 9:37 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subwrassler - 190 in the cage at fight time isn't a big WW?

Not any bigger than the rest.
4/24/13 9:37 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 

Moving on.  GSP will be fighting Hendricks, and will end his skid of failing to finish.  GSP will finish Hendricks in round 1 by RNC.

Snap out of it cuz that won't happen.

4/24/13 9:43 PM
jmacdoug
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gsp clearly wants nothing to do with that fight
4/24/13 9:45 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 
Herman Munster - 

Moving on.  GSP will be fighting Hendricks, and will end his skid of failing to finish.  GSP will finish Hendricks in round 1 by RNC.

Snap out of it cuz that won't happen.

Ya I could see a decision but if anything, GSP better be careful in the 1st round against Johny.  I think GSP's gameplan would be to survive and stay away from him the first round.  He wouldn't have the finish on his mind.

Yep. I'm really looking forward to this fight as I think Big Rig CAN (not necessarily WILL) beat him. 

The GSP/Silva talk is getting really old too. GSP obviously doesn't want to do it and he still has legit fights at 170. I think that at this point, the media is pushing this fight much more than the fans.

Silva/Jones is the one I would be the most interested in, even though Jones has new contenders creeping up on him. Hopefully it will be made someday while there's still interest.

4/24/13 10:03 PM
bamx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why he will never be remember as a great fighter, and someone who would step up to the plate, like Ben Henderson and BJ Penn did.

4/24/13 10:09 PM
guardbr8kr

GSP is a Boss !!
4/24/13 10:12 PM
kgastelum928's right nut pimple
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheCrow13 - I think we would rather see silva/jones and gsp/benson then silva/gsp. Phone Post 3.0
I agree with this Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 10:21 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

Of course Georges would fight him at 170. Silva would be emaciated.
4/24/13 10:27 PM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easier to go to 155 than to 185!?!!? Damn...

4/24/13 10:28 PM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really dissapointed as a fan...

I always love to see champions move UP, face bigger men. Especially dominant champions.

Moving down doesn't seem as thrilling to be honest.

4/24/13 10:31 PM
TzTinkle
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think GSP is ready to get out of the game. He is slowing down now, at one point I saw him imposing a high wrestling pace on anderson like chael. I don't think this is possible anymore. You can't blame him for wanting to go get out with his health, he has nothing left to prove.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.