UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: Zero wrestling, karate to thank for takedowns

4/24/13 6:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was recently a guest on the Joe Rogan experience and the interview made news for a couple things he said.

Not really news, but a tidbit that Underground might find interesting was his dicussion with Rogan about Karate and how he credited his Karate upbringing being the most important part of his ability to successfully take people down:

"That's what I use for my takedown, the shoot, that people see, it's zero wrestling. It has nothing to do with my wrestling. My wrestling is once I get that leg, I'll finish the takedown. But how I get in and out is because of karate. People are like, ‘no way, Karate, no.' And I'm like, 'yes.' Karate allows me to cut the distance and take the people down.

I have a very good single, a very good double and very good penetration. It's because of my leg, the way I do it, and the timing is because of my karate. I wrestle, too, but my karate is primary. Before I started wrestling, I was a karate guy pure."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

4/24/13 6:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
American Wrestling Black Belt
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling has zero to do with a takedown. Interesting
4/24/13 6:36 PM
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I gather from his comment is the shoot is zero wrestling just the finish. Interesting twist in the thread title
4/24/13 6:38 PM
time traveling 12er
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's saying wrestling has zero to do with how effective HIS takedowns are. 

MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO
American Wrestling Black Belt - Wrestling has zero to do with a takedown. Interesting

he means closing the distance from a to b (ie; his shot comes from Karate from dashing in and out).

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's more to do with him being an incredibly explosive athlete. Fred Ettish wasn't taking guys down at will.

4/24/13 6:41 PM

time traveling 12er - 

He's saying wrestling has zero to do with how effective HIS takedowns are. 

Gotcha. Someone send this to Tom Brands, maybe he can get his guys to start doing kata.
4/24/13 6:45 PM
RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you should listen to the JRE with him on there.. The way this is put here takes it a bit out of context. 

4/24/13 6:47 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the podcast he said his Karate was the reason for him able to close the distance so well and not get hit, and when he had the opponent his wrestling was used to take them down. He mentioned the closing the distance was credited to his former point Karate competition.
4/24/13 6:47 PM
bekk46

American Wrestling Black Belt - What I gather from his comment is the shoot is zero wrestling just the finish. Interesting twist in the thread title
They always do that. It's getting pretty old actually. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:48 PM
Diazed And Confused
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG Headline: "GSP Thanks Asians For Deep Penetration" Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:48 PM
FOX Force Five
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom - 

you should listen to the JRE with him on there.. The way this is put here takes it a bit out of context. 

This is very true.

The whole thing is worth a listen, GSP is really nice bloke.
4/24/13 6:49 PM
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

I believe what he is saying is that karate is what makes his takedowns successful. So it's not that his single or double is so amazing, it's that with the karate background is timing and covering of the distance makes it easy.

4/24/13 6:51 PM
DoomFarmer
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ all of the mad ex HS wrestlers shitting on what GSP said.

4/24/13 6:53 PM

No not mad at all this could actually be ground breaking for the sport. He has out wrestled some very high level guys and this could change the way D1 programs train their athletes.
4/24/13 6:54 PM
Tilla

Looks like somebody is trying to bring the "Karate aspect" back to Wrestling..

2Fort
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What he's saying is the ability to close the distance really quickly and efficiently is due to him doing Karate his whole life. His wrestling skills only start to take place when he grabs ahold of someone and is pulling them to the ground.
Stipe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diazed And Confused - UG Headline: "GSP Thanks Asians For Deep Penetration" Phone Post 3.0

lol
4/24/13 6:57 PM
justAgrappler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris -

I believe what he is saying is that karate is what makes his takedowns successful. So it's not that his single or double is so amazing, it's that with the karate background is timing and covering of the distance makes it easy.

This. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:58 PM
Rantuckjr
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - On the podcast he said his Karate was the reason for him able to close the distance so well and not get hit, and when he had the opponent his wrestling was used to take them down. He mentioned the closing the distance was credited to his former point Karate competition.

So he admitted to being a point fighter.....
4/24/13 7:09 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - On the podcast he said his Karate was the reason for him able to close the distance so well and not get hit, and when he had the opponent his wrestling was used to take them down. He mentioned the closing the distance was credited to his former point Karate competition.

I believe he was a kyokushin guy from day 1 and that's full contact.
4/24/13 7:09 PM
Ministry of Truth

GSP also admitted he is afraid of aliens on the JRE, so I take his Karate takedowns theory with a grain of salt.
4/24/13 7:22 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before reading or listening to the entire podcast, we know 2 things already:

1) UG thread titles are misleading
2) You can semantic fight till the end of time

I would say however though that more and more am i thinking that MMA is a game of distance and more so than any other - more than wrestling, more than judo, more than bjj, more than boxing, more than kickboxing. There is more movement and distance to control in MMA and more variables of course. So as the game as evolved its ironic that there are guys like GSP and Machida (who are of completely diff karate btw) and then also guys like Anderson and Pettis who have TKD backgrounds as well where distance is a major factor in those and that those guys cover it so well.

Beyond that though, for any of the kickboxing and karate experts out there (not many), Kyokushin is typically fought in clinch or dirty boxing range - in close striking. It typically does not cover distance like Shotokan (Machida) or TKD (Pettis). Even the leg kicks are thrown from close range from what ive seen and not like the big step in from distance way in MT or KB.

But I will say that GSP has always had an innate or incredible sense of distance control and then timing on when to switch from striking to the shoot. Although GSP is the anomolie or a striker developing first rate wrestling, the way "wrestling" or shoots are done in MMA are quite different to wrestling. Chael recently talked about this in that interview where he said singles dont work in MMA (again....these are all subjective statements that involve a lot of context and semantics). In wrestling, you shoot from much closer distance and from an already low posture. I have no doubt that GSP's karate background is what he built upon to develop his range control for his MMA generalship (for one, that was his original anyhow). Machida is another first rate range controller who also has first rate opportunistic tds. His td on Hendo was more of a pure wrestling td because they were in a static clinch but the one on Tito he got for example - imo that is a good example of him closing the distance as he does to primarily strike but he also catches guys with that foot sweep and in the case of Tito, he drove to close the distance but to the clinch for a driving td.

Come to think of this, Bendo also did this a few times vs Gil - when Gil would attack with combos, Ben would retreat and then counter back in with the clinch. He was unsuccessful with the td attempts but he demonstrated good range control and countering too. He also has TKD experience as well as wrestling. Ben is first rate at putting things together.
4/24/13 7:23 PM
Wasa-B

Edited: 04/24/13 7:25 PM
Ministry of Truth - GSP also admitted he is afraid of aliens on the JRE, so I take his Karate takedowns theory with a grain of salt.

The diff that he did do karate in real life and being that fighters commonly take attributes from their original into developing their MMA game: range control for example.

Nothing salty about that.
4/24/13 7:28 PM
Lazer MMA

RyannVonDoom - 

RVD can you specify the discrepancy please?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.