UnderGround Forums

Pinoy UnderGround >> Philippines MMA gym directory

4/24/13 11:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Varaco
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/24/13 11:03 PM

short list featuring the top philippine based gyms

the rest at the link http://dojodrifter.blogspot.com/2013/02/10-must-try-mma-gyms-in-philippines.html

Yaw-yan Buhawi

Home of URCC star Alvin Ramirez and spearheaded by kickboxing champ Master Rey Yap, this gym in Marikina will teach you a unique brand of striking, grappling, and even self-defense. If you want to learn a fighting style that’s distinctly Filipino while shedding pounds and improving flexibility and conditioning, then this is definitely the place for you.

Legacy Gym 

Boracay isn’t just the perfect beach paradise; it’s also the one of the best places to get top-notch Muay Thai and MMA training. The Legacy MMA gym is run by world kickboxing champ and ONE FC contender Ole Laursen and houses fighters like Richie Redman and Zebastian Kadestam. The facility comes complete with an octagon, a boxing ring, conditioning equipment, and several Muay Thai bags. You can learn boxing, Muay Thai, and No-gi BJJ here with guys who live and breathe the fight game.

Safehouse MMA and Fitness Gym 

A new gym established by current PXC flyweight champ Ale Cali, Safehouse MMA offers a comprehensive training program that covers conditioning, striking, and grappling. Found along Quezon Avenue, QC, the facility has plenty of training equipment and even a cage for MMA sparring.

Fight Factory Manila

Defact Philippines has spawned many quality gyms like Project Lifestyle Manila (Ortigas) and the BAMF training center (Paranaque), but the newest club to stem from this team is Fight Factory Manila, located in Tomas Morato. Led by BJJ black belt Fritz Rodriguez, this gym offers quality lessons in submission wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and Muay Thai.

Team Lakay 

4/24/13 11:01 PM
El_Varaco
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/24/13 11:03 PM

5/1/13 6:45 AM
PTM2020
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm back in Makati in mid May till June and will bring my Gi this time.

Was looking at Deftac to check out but I'm seeing that KMA and New Breed are in town as well.  Any other spots or should I just check em all out?

5/1/13 6:47 AM
PTM2020
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for making this thread though. 

There should be a 'Go To' training thread for Philippines.  This thread should be it.  :)

5/1/13 9:10 AM
El_Varaco

if you can, try and check them all out, they're all good strong teams. Deftac Makati is near the Makati Golf Club, New Breed (now originsbjj) trains out of the Rockwell club, and KMA is in Salcedo Village. Not sure about the others but KMA has all day open mats, and Coach Stephen is there the whole time I think.

There are other gyms but mostly MT/Boxing/MMA gyms, so far these 3 are the only BJJ schools I know of in Makati.

Let me know when you plan to drop by KMA, I'm thinking of training there instead at least until the KMA affiliate in alabang has better class schedules.
5/12/13 3:51 PM
PTM2020

I might be staying in Paranaque next week for a couple of days.  Does Alvin Aguilar still teach out there?  Man.... the amount of BJJ in P.I. has really taken off since I first went back in 2000.   I think there was just New Breed and a Gracie affilate back then.

5/12/13 9:28 PM
El_Varaco

Yeah deftac's still in paranaque. Not sure how often alvin teaches though, but i hear they have a nice gym so it's defintely worth checking out.

Yeah bjj has taken off immensely, i think we have the most bjj schools in south east asia (singapore has aoki and brazilians though), and the biggest comps like adcc and the pan asians are always here. Crazy!

You might also want to check out John Baylon's school it' near la salle in manila about 45 minutes away from paranaque Phone Post
5/18/13 9:01 PM
PTM2020

wtf!!!  John Baylon is out here?

Had no idea.  I though he was in Guam.  Yeah, I'll definitely check him out, maybe even get a private.

Hey bro.  You up to check out OneFC next Saturday?   I might get hooked up with some tix.

5/19/13 10:33 PM
El_Varaco

Can't make oneFC bro, been trying to fix my sched around that, but between work and a pregnant wife I can't seem to manage it :-(

Anyway John Baylon http://jbcdjj.wordpress.com/author/jbcdjj/ that's his team's wordpress blog. Aaaand while going through I just realized that John is a Kodokan blackbelt, jeeeebus christ at this badass.

If you're going to Cebu though there's two more BJJ gyms out there

and

2) 90/eight JJ under PJ Pages (who's brother is an UG/OGer I think) http://pagesbrothersbjjpi.weebly.com/

Pretty strong teams in the south and proof that BJJ is growing exponentially in the country. Hopefully someone breaks through in the mundials (or probably ADCC with Allan Drueco)

when are you here? or are you here now?
5/20/13 10:28 AM
PTM2020

Edited: 05/20/13 10:30 AM

Just got back from Cebu.

Gonna try and check out Baylons gym either tomorrow or wed.

Been wanting to learn this move ever since I saw him do it to Fowler.

Hope I can hook up a quick private from him.

Thanks for all the info bro and congrats.  Didn't know you & the wife were expecting.  Thats awesome!!!

5/20/13 9:57 PM
El_Varaco

thanks man!, we just knew a couple of weeks ago, guess it's time for me to see if this dad thing is all it's worked out to be.

hope you get that private, been watching that vid for years now (still remember the outrage on the UG when that broke) and I still can't figure it out lol. Anyway private or not, John is a beast, if he was younger I think he could make legit run to the worlds or something, and you'd surely learn a lot!
6/10/14 10:53 PM
El_Varaco

DanTheWolfman - Anywhere in Manila looking for a MMA/No Gi Catch/MT/Self-defense coach perhaps?

Have a Filipina GF and want to know if any options there, thanks,

If anyone knows gym there maybe looking, please email

DanTheWolfman@hotmail.com serious only thanks

you can get in touch with KMA, at www.bjjphilippines.com, Coach Stephen is apparently trying to get his MMA program off the ground. That would be a good place to start.

or you can get in touch with alvin aguilar on here, his sn is Alvin Aguilar, he's the Philippine's dana white, he'll know which schools are looking for coaches, or he might even have a need for one at Deftac.
6/11/14 4:05 AM
PTM2020

Alvin was just here in L.A.    Finished up his seminar series over the weekend.  Got a lot of props and respects from all who attended.

6/11/14 9:41 PM
El_Varaco

DanTheWolfman - Thanks so much El, I am trying to contact both of them. Are the KMA locations in Manila?
Yup the main gym and most of the affiliates are scattered all over Manila Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.