UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gil Melendez: We need judges who train

4/24/13 11:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Benson Henderson retained his UFC lightweight title Saturday night with a split decision over former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

There was no surprise at the spilt decision, but some eyebrows raised when word came out that Wade Vierra, the CSAC judge who decided for Melendez, runs an affiliate school of Team Cesar Gracie. Gracie is also Melendez' BJJ instructor of record. However, while some prominent MMA fighters, most notably the Diaz brothers, do their MMA training through Cesar, Melendez does not. Further, Cesar's association is so large that to the best of Melendez' recollection, he has never met Vierra.

In a recent appearance on MMAJunkie Radio, Melendez discussed the matter.

"I don't know the guy," said Melendez, adding "but it's good to know someone is training out there that's a judge. I don't know the dude. I don't know Wade Vierra. I don't. I can't say I haven't shook someone's hand or something. I've met a lot of people in my life. But do I know Wade Vierra? Is he in my phonebook? Do I see him or do I know him? No. I don't know who the guy is. I don't know him."

"I think it'd be a bigger deal if I won, but either way, I lost. Either I lost the split or the unanimous. It doesn't matter. I lost, dude. I lost. It doesn't really matter. Benson is still the champ."

"The positive thing is that if the guy is training, that's a good thing Yeah, you've got be selective about [any potential conflicts of interest], but some judges just don't know what's going on. I wish they'd get on the mat and train and really feel what it's like and do some boxing or some Muay Thai and visit some gyms."

"I really thought I won that fight. I felt I won the first two and the last. And honestly, the third, I thought it was pretty dang close and that I won that too.

"It was a close one. It was a battle. Benson Henderson is a stud. But I thought I was the more dominant fighter in there and taking more risks and making it a fight. I could go on and on about it, but it is what it is, I guess."

"Honestly, I felt like the biggest winner that night. I really did. I really feel like I made a statement. It was devastating to lose, but I feel like I arrived in the UFC. I got respect. A lot of people thought I was garbage, so there's a lot of positive things. I'm actually pretty high on life right now."

Read entire article...

4/24/13 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vaginal tear
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats code for "We need more judges who are Ceaser Gracie affiliates" Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 11:51 PM
bknumber1
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the decision could have gone either way regardless of who was scoring it. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 11:54 PM
Kluch
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that judge was biased towards Gil, he would have scored round 2 and maybe 3 for him, but that didn't happen. Judging of Viera was weird, but there is no way that was a bias.
4/24/13 11:55 PM
FloridaStriker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soon he will be calling for more weight divisions because he lost

oh shit wait...
4/24/13 11:59 PM
figure four

Kluch - If that judge was biased towards Gil, he would have scored round 2 and maybe 3 for him, but that didn't happen. Judging of Viera was weird, but there is no way that was a bias.

Bias... LOL dude!

He's Gracie Associate hello?
McFly you home?

He still had Gil winning.
to throw everybody off he just needed to pick some weird rounds...

LOL obviously fooled you...
Let me guess - cause you are biased too.

4/25/13 12:03 AM
Carl Sonnen

Awesome attitude by Gilbert. One more reason why I am a fan. Melendez won that fight in my opinion. He is a badass and deserves respect. He should have it now. He is gonna make people nervous in that division.
4/25/13 12:10 AM
Kluch
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

figure four - 
Kluch - If that judge was biased towards Gil, he would have scored round 2 and maybe 3 for him, but that didn't happen. Judging of Viera was weird, but there is no way that was a bias.

Bias... LOL dude!

McFly you home?

So, he could pick rounds 1,2,5 for Gil and that would have looked normal. But instead of that he gave Gil round 4, the round Ben clearly won. Yeah, he did this not because he is an incompetent judge who doesn't watch the fights with proper attention, he just wanted to fool everybody, LOL.
4/25/13 12:10 AM
145er

It was a close fight but Imo, gill took that shit!! Like gill said, atleast he will get his respect now that he deserves. and if he doesn't, it's fuckin' morrons that wont give him his due!! I thought he looked great in that fight.
4/25/13 12:15 AM
Kirik
1851 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
8 Years 6 SherdogAccountsLater - 

I like Gil and thought the fight was close, but if he thinks its a good thing one of the judges for any fight (let alone for a UFC title) is affiliated with the main trainer of one of the fighters competing in that fight is a good thing Im speechless.

If one of the judges that scored it for Bendo ran a school directly affiliated with Jon Crouch and had pictures with the guy Im sure Gil would have a much different opinion

Cesar is not Gil's main trainer.

4/25/13 12:17 AM
rundymc

Great to know he's taking it in his stride.

He proved a lot in that fight.
4/25/13 12:24 AM
CHiLLEN
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mind boggling that the judges are NOT put through advanced schooling or even training MMA. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 12:28 AM
Ceelo
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
8 Years 6 SherdogAccountsLater - 

I like Gil and thought the fight was close, but if he thinks its a good thing one of the judges for any fight (let alone for a UFC title) is affiliated with the main trainer of one of the fighters competing in that fight is a good thing Im speechless.

If one of the judges that scored it for Bendo ran a school directly affiliated with Jon Crouch and had pictures with the guy Im sure Gil would have a much different opinion

Cesar is not Gil's main trainer.

Exactly, I rarely see Cesar. He comes in once in a while when the Diaz come through

4/25/13 12:35 AM
GTFOOHWTBS
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Cecil Peoples, DO YOU EVEN TRANE, BRAH????

4/25/13 12:37 AM
DoomFarmer
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a close fight but I can't understand how so many people thought Gil won.

Rounds 2,3,4 went to Ben pretty clearly when I watched it every time.

Seems we can't have a fight LW that doesn't get contested on the forum for months since Edgar/Henderson 1.
4/25/13 12:53 AM
CheckinHose
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Preferably judges that train with his team lol Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 1:26 AM
Chisel Chest
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

figure four -

Bias... LOL dude!

McFly you home?

Lol Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 1:27 AM
Oontyex

CRMartin11 - The main thing that needs to be addressed in judging in my opinion is the issue about strikes. Are all strikes considered equal? By some of the judging I think a lot of the judges view all strikes the same, regardless of damage, location etc.

If you think all strikes are equal then you scored the fight for Benson. If you think all strikes are not equal then you scored this fight for Gil. At least in my eyes that is how I see it. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

Btw I personally think all strikes are not the same. Anyone who thinks that way is ignorant to the sport. I had scored this fight rounds 1,2,3 and 5 for Gil. I still haven't re watched it, so my opinion may change, but I think Gil unquestionably won that fight. I think anyone who has ever trained will know what I'm talking about; If a strike lands cleanly or not it makes a big difference, how much force is behind the strike and most importantly how much damage did the strike cause. These are all crucial factors that determine the significance of a strike. To the untrained eye I think these subtleties could be easily missed, but this is an essential part of MMA.
Agree 100% bendo fought well more jab and distanced gauging strike but Gil landed the more damaging and significant strikes and also brought the intensity.
I had 1,2,3,5 Gil too.
Same thoughts on judges in terms of takedowns - a slam vs a scramble are totally different, then also in terms of what is done with the change in position, if a fighter is not able to accomplish anything meaningful (damage/ threats or even control) these situations should not be rewarded the way they are.

In this fight I felt Gil threatened bendo but bendo at no point (other than elbows after the bell) threatened Gil Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 1:28 AM
slamming

CSAC asleep at the wheel in allowing that fucking conflict of interest.

Terrible, terrible stuff CSAC.
4/25/13 1:35 AM
daba

Very gracious in defeat. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 2:38 AM
MooSaucy
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - CSAC asleep at the wheel in allowing that fucking conflict of interest.

Terrible, terrible stuff CSAC.
Exactly. It's not up to the fighter or even the camp, the CSAC dropped a ball here by letting the conflict exist.

Hendo squeaked another decision by playing the game rather than taking the fight to him. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 3:08 AM
James8
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trane* Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 6:15 AM
mendelson
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - It was a close fight but I can't understand how so many people thought Gil won.

Rounds 2,3,4 went to Ben pretty clearly when I watched it every time.

Seems we can't have a fight LW that doesn't get contested on the forum for months since Edgar/Henderson 1.
Because he DID win. He won 3 out of 5 rounds. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 6:24 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wade Vierra has a Gilbert Melendez HL video on the front page of his website, it doesn't matter if they've never talked. He's got no business judging Gil's fights. They should've got somebody else to judge.

4/25/13 8:25 AM
CoreNobody
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vaginal tear - Thats code for "We need more judges who are Ceaser Gracie affiliates" Phone Post 3.0
Bingo! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.