UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White issues challenge to boxer Fury

4/25/13 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/25/13 5:30 PM
SouthernGent - 
sacredhate - i hate this shit.

2 different sports.

do mma practitioners mock pure BJJ guys or pure wrestlers? not for the most part. it's acknowledged that they are skills unto themselves worthy of respect.

somehow because boxing has been more popular in history and doesn't show much respect to mma folks think it's okay to disrespect back.

we all know that the "best boxers in mma" that rogan goes on and on about couldn't stand in the ring with the best boxers of the boxing world...but we fail to acknowledge that.

the whole rivalry is tiring.

This. Why do MMA fans shit on pure boxers but love pure BJJ/Wrestling/Muay thai guys?

What happened to marcelo garcia when he tried MMA? Does that make BJJ unworthy? What happened to badr hari when he tried MMA? Oh I guess kickboxing is shit too. At least a 50 year old mercer K.O'd sylvia.

Most MMA fans onl shit on pure boxers when those pure boxers are shitting on MMA. Like Tyson Fury is now.

EDIT:

ssj - dammit

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/4901591/David-Haye-ready-to-fight-Tyson-Fury.html

haye gonna tool him to pieces

This isn't a bad thing. Haye will make Fury's asking price a lot cheaper. Plus it will be ironic since Haye is a huge MMA fan.

4/25/13 5:19 PM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - You guys are funny....In a sport where Chris Leben w/ his slow sloppy windmill punches is a dangerous "star" and Junior Dos Santos w/ his low D level boxing became a VERY dominant UFC champion (beating killers and ex champs including Cain himself)suddenly someone like Tyson Fury doesn't have a hope in any kind of a fight.....Let this guy get a year of training and he PLOWS through JDS and Mark Hunt just for starters. If he develops any kind of a base/takedown defense he could pretty much own the division.

You don't need to be a high level wrestler to take a dude like that down. They don't break up clinches in MMA and you don't need to have a wrestling background to take down a dude like Fury, not to mention that blocking a good takedown in MMA takes more than a few months.

I say give him Overeem first. He's known as a striker but his clinch takedowns are underrated. Plus he's honorary Japanese, he's used to freakshow fights. He won't fall to the first combination Fury throws, and should be able to close the distance standing before getting in close and just ragdolling him to the ground (if he doesn't cave in his liver with a knee first). On the ground he'll jut murder Fury and it will be hilarious.

4/25/13 5:47 PM
Truemanc3
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fury in MMA is like a lamb to the slaughter!!!

Wait did you boxing fans see what happened to your boy Toney!! and Randy was old and not at his best... UFC sent an old man in to take it easy on your boy!

Boxers should stay in a fight using the hands and real fighters should stay in MMA where you do everything.
4/25/13 5:58 PM
CavemanDave
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/25/13 6:02 PM

I'm tired of the "boxing is boxing and MMA is MMA" crap. 

MMA is the more complete fighting sport, hands down, game over. There is no technique, strategy, footwork, punch, etc that is banned in MMA that boxing allows. MMA is inclusionary in regards to talent, technique, and style. Boxing is exlusionary.  This isn't because I hate boxing and love MMA, I love boxing.  I love kickboxing.  I love Jiujitsu.  I love wrestling. I love Judo. ALL of them are exlusionary in comparison to MMA. MMA is a superior one-on-one fighting sport in comparison to all of them.

If Fury steps into the octagon, he's able to use his entire gambit of weapons, movement, and technique. The same can't be said if Cain went to boxing, where he'd have to leave his base skills at ringside.

Most knowledgable fight fans don't give jiujitsu, wrestling, or kickboxing the same credit as a fightsport as they do to MMA, why the fuck should they do it for boxing?

Fury gets into a fight with Cain where they can both utilize all their skills and Cain would RAPE him, without question.

4/25/13 6:16 PM
CavemanDave
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/25/13 6:16 PM
SKARHEAD - You guys are funny....In a sport where Chris Leben w/ his slow sloppy windmill punches is a dangerous "star" and Junior Dos Santos w/ his low D level boxing became a VERY dominant UFC champion (beating killers and ex champs including Cain himself)suddenly someone like Tyson Fury doesn't have a hope in any kind of a fight.....Let this guy get a year of training and he PLOWS through JDS and Mark Hunt just for starters. If he develops any kind of a base/takedown defense he could pretty much own the division.

Let me guess...

Later on you're going to go on NBA forums and talk about how Shaq isn't half the competitor that the world champion of HORSE is, given how poor he was at freethrows.

I'm sure all that HORSE champion would have to do is develop a good layup and drive to the net to be a better player than Shaq was.

Leben is actually a great example. Throw a few pro-boxers in there with Leben and see how they fare.  Hell make Leben's whole career from this point forward fighting boxers that come over.  My guess is after 5 fights, his record would improve by 5-0.

4/25/13 6:18 PM
Truemanc3
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ +1
4/25/13 6:20 PM
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caveman Dave laying it down...
4/25/13 6:22 PM
madmav

it will never happen.

4/25/13 6:24 PM
Truemanc3

I dont care less about the sweet science! and I boxed for years!
MMA is a sport that alows more disciplins to to conquer! it is the purer form or real fighting!

At the end of the day Boxing is a silly sport of winning a fight just using your hands and MMA is a sport that utilizes every aspect of your body to win a fight.
4/25/13 6:28 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CavemanDave -

Let me guess...

Later on you're going to go on NBA forums and talk about how Shaq isn't half the competitor that the world champion of HORSE is, given how poor he was at freethrows.

I'm sure all that HORSE champion would have to do is develop a good layup and drive to the net to be a better player than Shaq was.

Leben is actually a great example. Throw a few pro-boxers in there with Leben and see how they fare.  Hell make Leben's whole career from this point forward fighting boxers that come over.  My guess is after 5 fights, his record would improve by 5-0.

No.

Leben would choose to stand.

Which negates any advantage he has by being a "complete" fighter and as such he would get kayoed.

Leben vs Silva alone proves how he would rather stand and trade.

If Leben would look for takedowns it could change but look at Leben's career and show me when he tried to be a complete fighter over standing and throwing leather.

Leben is a bad example. His ego would implore him to stand which would get him crushed.

I feel the two are different sports because, THEY ARE.

If they weren't different sports they would just be called "fighting" and take place in a Thunderdome cage.

I think a fool suggests a boxer wrecks any MMA fighter but it's just as ignorant to suggest an MMA fighter would somehow wreck every boxer.

There are probably a few NFL lineman who could wreak havoc on the UFC heavyweight division.

Does that make football better?

Nope.

It's just big, athletic guys with strength, coordination and most have wrestled in high school so it's not like they've never grappled.

I don't get why everyone gets so personal with boxing and MMA.

The same men who clown on religious zealots act like them when you bring up boxing vs MMA.

Relax everyone.

Couture beating James Toney did as much for MMA over boxing as OJ Simpson being found not guilty gave black people a prize as Chris Rock once said in a bit. Phone Post
4/25/13 6:38 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks -
Ip Man 81 - 
sgotwalks -
Musicosity -  The moment everyone realizes mma us superior...please let this happen. Phone Post

Oh, just shut the fuck up!

MMA is superior. Put the top boxers verse the the top MMA fighters and see what happens. MMA wins them all. Phone Post 3.0

You sound like a child. Truth is, we will never know. Every single matchup between top a top boxer and a top mma fighter has so many different variables to take into account on any given night, that is just makes you sound foolish to say one single fight between one of one, and one of the other will decide which sport is ultimately superior. For example, those still holding onto the James Toney fight as though it stood for anything are simply not clear in the mind. 

Tyson Fury is a hack who will likely be exposed in his next fight or two in a boxing ring, let alone getting into a cage and fighting the heavyweight champion of the UFC under MMA rules. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, and I would be pulling for pretty much anyone in the UFC to pull it off. However, there are boxers out there who I would love to see transition over and give it a go, and some who I believe could rock the MMA world to it's core with a few months of proper training. Either way, there is nothing but uncertainty at this point, and this fight here is certainly not a bench mark to rule one sport over the other by.

If you think any top boxer with out a decent wrestling background could Tale a mma diet with a wrestling pedigree you're lost. Could someone get really luck y? Ya. But 999 times out of 1000 wrestle gnps them Phone Post
4/25/13 6:39 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke -
CavemanDave -

Let me guess...

No.

Which negates any advantage he has by being a "complete" fighter and as such he would get kayoed.

If Leben would look for takedowns it could change but look at Leben's career and show me when he tried to be a complete fighter over standing and throwing leather.

Leben is a bad example. His ego would implore him to stand which would get him crushed.

If they weren't different sports they would just be called "fighting" and take place in a Thunderdome cage.

I think a fool suggests a boxer wrecks any MMA fighter but it's just as ignorant to suggest an MMA fighter would somehow wreck every boxer.

There are probably a few NFL lineman who could wreak havoc on the UFC heavyweight division.

Nope.

It's just big, athletic guys with strength, coordination and most have wrestled in high school so it's not like they've never grappled.

The same men who clown on religious zealots act like them when you bring up boxing vs MMA.

Relax everyone.

Couture beating James Toney did as much for MMA over boxing as OJ Simpson being found not guilty gave black people a prize as Chris Rock once said in a bit. Phone Post
Really? I've seen him submit people live. Phone Post
4/25/13 6:41 PM
FormrChamp

sgotwalks - 
Ip Man 81 - 
sgotwalks -
Musicosity -  The moment everyone realizes mma us superior...please let this happen. Phone Post

Oh, just shut the fuck up!

MMA is superior. Put the top boxers verse the the top MMA fighters and see what happens. MMA wins them all. Phone Post 3.0

You sound like a child. Truth is, we will never know. Every single matchup between top a top boxer and a top mma fighter has so many different variables to take into account on any given night, that is just makes you sound foolish to say one single fight between one of one, and one of the other will decide which sport is ultimately superior. For example, those still holding onto the James Toney fight as though it stood for anything are simply not clear in the mind. 

Tyson Fury is a hack who will likely be exposed in his next fight or two in a boxing ring, let alone getting into a cage and fighting the heavyweight champion of the UFC under MMA rules. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, and I would be pulling for pretty much anyone in the UFC to pull it off. However, there are boxers out there who I would love to see transition over and give it a go, and some who I believe could rock the MMA world to it's core with a few months of proper training. Either way, there is nothing but uncertainty at this point, and this fight here is certainly not a bench mark to rule one sport over the other by.

IMO, if the top ten heavyweights in the UFC fought the top ten ranked boxers, the UFC fighters would win atleast 9 of them. I'll give one of the boxers a slight chance of landing a KO punch. And i'm sure there are a few boxers who could come over and make an impact. But it would take a lot longer then a few months. IMO boxing isn't a top 5 style to transition to MMA.
4/25/13 6:50 PM
CavemanDave

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
CavemanDave -

Let me guess...

No.

Nope.

Relax everyone.

I suppose it's correct that Leben might try to stand and throw with them, but if he didn't he'd win. If you're correct, my guess is it wouldn't last more than one fight, Leben has enough grappling skill that he'd win, and a boxer that didn't have a previous backround simply wouldn't have enough time in 6 months or a year to get to the level where he'd be able to defend against him.

You're assuming I said some things I didn't.  I did not for example, say that any MMA fighter would beat any boxer, independent of the boxers level of prep.  What I did say is MMA is a more complete fighting sport.  I believe Leben would most likely win against boxers placed in the ring against him.  I also think that if Fury gets in the cage with Cain, Cain would beat him like a drum.  It would look like the Bigfoot fight, only in fast forward.

I'm also not disputing the fact they are different sports, what I'm saying is that MMA is a more complete fighting sport, and there are no set of skills you could bring from boxing that would be banned in MMA... that's not true the other way around... pretty sure if you double legged your opponent and started dropping elbows on him you would be disqualified.

4/25/13 6:58 PM
FormrChamp

boxingman - 
FormrChamp - Ummmm, Fury gets tooled....BAD !!!!!! MMA is as close to a "real fight" as you're going to get. Boxer gets smashed....

really
u ever been out at night lol

real are 2-30 secounds long usually
no rules, no refs
and usually not 1-1

pretty much every boxer i ever met
has done good on the street

but this is fucking pointless
cain wins in mma easy
fury wins in boxing easy
on the street who knows, probably cain but one of them could get ko'd by the other before he even knows he is in a fight...
and being from europe myself, i know gypies are not strangers to fighting or "dirty tatics"

yes gentlemen a thumb in the eye or a knife in the gut
can defeat a takedown any day lol

but like i said cain wins mma
fury wins boxing
real fight...probably cain due to greater skill set but u cant be sure when you get 2 hard hitters in an unpredictable environment

First off i've been out plenty of nights. Being a DI all american wrestler, i've been in plenty of fights with guys much bigger than I. And on more than one occasion, they were football players. Without naming a specific school, i can tell you it was a big 12 school. So these guys weren't mediocre athletes. And where i'm from, fights are one on one. If you want to talk shit, then back it up. Anyway, if it was a"real" fight, i'd bet my house on it that Cain kicks the shit out Fury. Probably any top 20 MMA heavyweight would.
4/25/13 7:08 PM
tbi0904
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tebow Worships Satan -
SouthernGent - Fury is not an elite boxer at all, he's not even a top 10 HW in a terrible era.

That's how Dana likes them. Instead of inviting real boxers, he invites the freak shows. Phone Post
He invites the boxers that run their mouths about mma. Phone Post
4/25/13 9:43 PM
Jambo888
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tbi0904 - 
Tebow Worships Satan -
SouthernGent - Fury is not an elite boxer at all, he's not even a top 10 HW in a terrible era.

That's how Dana likes them. Instead of inviting real boxers, he invites the freak shows. Phone Post
He invites the boxers that run their mouths about mma. Phone Post

James toney is as real as it gets. older and not in great shape he still more than a handful for non boxers

4/25/13 9:44 PM
Jambo888
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 

lol

no doubt cain takes him down and subs him at will

except he would take him down and beat his ass. way too dangerous a fight

4/25/13 11:31 PM
RepsOne
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd pay good money to watch every 1 of the 95 seconds this fight lasts. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 1:27 AM
RowdyYates
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supremexb - 
Haulport - 
supremexb - double

I love boxing and, yes, Jose would beat the 6'9" 260lbs. Fury.

He would take him down and submit him.

Years ago Gil Castillo (170lbs journeyman fighter) submitted 250lbs. John McLaughlin from the tampa bay bucs over and over again in a closed door grappling challenge match. And Steve had a wrestling background...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRpwbA75Fc4

there was no striking in that video.

Mayhem vs Stefan Gamlin (365lbs) who had actually traned UFC before..
4/26/13 3:21 AM
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

insert TysonFurySelfUppercut.gif
4/26/13 7:58 AM
Pghreal412
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tebow Worships Satan -

He invites guys that talk shit Phone Post
4/26/13 8:34 AM
CauliflowerCouture

Pghreal412 - 
Tebow Worships Satan -

He invites guys that talk shit Phone Post

This.

As much as Dana is a hot head and says some pretty inflammatory stuff he has always been respectful about the sport of boxing (not the promoters etc).

He only invites the guys who have something to say about MMA. He could be way more over the top and call out every top 5 boxer in interviews, knowing there is a better than average chance they would get owned by a top MMA fighter.

If anything he actually shows a lot of restraint.
4/26/13 8:42 AM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CavemanDave - 

Let me guess...

Low levl or mid to top tier ?

Anything mid to top tier Leben goes in there to prove he's the man withy his fists who can stand up to high level pros...He keeps the fight on the feet out of ego...and goes 0-5...LOL @ thinking Anderson Silva is the only striker in the world that could clown Leben like that on the feet.
4/26/13 8:45 AM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leben would met the exact same fate as Tim Sylvia (another plodding mummy striker who RULED the HW division for a time....w/ Z level boxing and a good base) did against Ray Mercer.

Leben would try to throw hands and realize he lacks the speed, power, coordination, skill, talent, and defense to trade w/ world class boxers. He would try beat them at their own game...and LOLz would be had.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.