UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Wing Chun vs Boxing = folded lawnchair (vid)

5/8/13 7:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dbulletproof
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTFOOMT!
5/8/13 7:55 AM
6ULDV8
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOOM!

5/8/13 8:51 AM
Naughty Gorilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have like 20,000 posts. Fuck if I remember which pros haven given it props... No kidding WC sucks on the ground. In general WC as it's taught probably does suck.

It's an old freakin discussion. It's not the art, it's how it's done. Bruce Lee abandoned the footwork. The trapping probably worked for him in sparring cuz.. he sparred with it.

GnP range is close and static, just like WC range. Trapping and deflection works here, just horizontally.

"Would you mind sharing the techniques a WC guy could use in this situation and the pro fighters that commented on it?"
5/8/13 8:54 AM
Naughty Gorilla

Point-style Karate sucks too. 99.9% of the time. Shitloads of karate guys getting owned online on youtube by Tapout douches too, im sure. Yet Machida was champ. Open your minds a bit.
5/8/13 12:18 PM
6ULDV8
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got into it a bit I guess because I was curious about it, and couldn't say I took a lot away from it that would help with fighting.

I did enjoy it and it was interesting though, so there is that.  You 'flowed' a lot, which was cool.

5/8/13 10:14 PM
ShawnTheBadger
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd to read later and comment.

5/9/13 12:34 AM
Otsuka
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took WC for a bit when I was 17, and like I said before, they focus way too much on the sticky hands. They are VERY good at that range (trapping range) and if the opponent decides to stay in that range and play the trapping game, then Wing Chun is the King of the Castle. But at that range, you're already so close to each other, it's too easy for the opponent to just clinch and grapplefuck you. I can see how WC might work in a crowded bar, where you don't have room to move around and kickbox, and you don't want to clinch either, just straight blast through the middle. But they really need to work on their power first.
5/9/13 12:38 AM
6ULDV8

Did they freak on you if you used any strength while doing Tsee Sow?

I swear if a muscle accidentally flexed I got screamed at for cheating.  That was pretty crazy to me.

5/9/13 12:57 AM
Otsuka
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot... it was so long ago... I'm sure they corrected me. There was one badass dude there though... totally ripped and looked like Bruce Lee and he used to wreck those wooden dummies. But he was already trained in other martial arts though, so he shouldn't count as an example of a WC Badass.
5/9/13 1:06 AM
Otsuka

The teacher was the president of the Canadian Kung Fu Association or something. Dude's a joke. One time he was performing Chi Sao on a mah-jong table in some event and he fell off the table, lol.
5/9/13 1:08 AM
6ULDV8

WC hipster, trying to do the Ip Man kung fu on a table thing before it was cool.

5/9/13 1:42 AM
Ghengiseanie

Dbulletproof - 
Naughty Gorilla - lot of hate here. we get it, it doesn't do well against MT or MMA. there are some useful things in the art though. Has some applicability such as in-guard Gnp / countering Gnp which i remember some pro fighters commenting on

With respect I disagree.

Sure, there are people saying that WC is garbage, however that was not the aim of the thread.

There may well be some useful techniques in the art, however it is interesting that you don't hear people saying BJJ, Muay Thai etc are garbage. This criticism is repeatedly aimed at WIng Chun, and with, in my opinion, good reason.

Look at the video a few pages ago with 2 WC 'masters' who engage in a dojo storm type fight. They end up rolling around on the ground like two drunks. 2 masters that do not trust their art is very telling, when compared to say Cristiano Marcello fighting Crazy Horse backstage at Pride:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdf5ia_crazy-horse-backstage-fight-with-cr_sport#.UYmq7EqImSo

Blue please

Marcello uses techniques that he has drilled countless times, in a live fight, against a wrestler/brawler and puts him out.
Can you see a WC practicioner doing teh same thing in this situation?
Granted, a straight up WC guy would probably never fight in Pride/UFC as its not style vs style anymore, but a guy with a WC base would get murdered.

I'll be honest and say that I've never trained WC before, but I live and tarin in HK. I have watched classes whilst preparing to spar in the same gym, and several posters on this thread have done WC - Otsuka and DV8 being examples. I'm sure they can back me up on this.
Being in Hong Kong, one of the major hubs of WC, gives us a very good insight into the art and IMO it is not effective.

"Has some applicability such as in-guard Gnp / countering Gnp which i remember some pro fighters commenting on"

Would you mind sharing the techniques a WC guy could use in this situation and the pro fighters that commented on it?

Pretty certain I posted a link to a GRacie Wing Chun appreciation seminar, where they spoke about hand fighting, centre line theory, being applied, in ground fighting already.
5/9/13 1:32 PM
Forrest Spliffn

6ULDV8 -

Not Wing Chun exactly, and maybe not scientific, but MTR Kung Fu if done right, no can defend!

Wow. Someone who thinks they are tough wearing shox runners.
What a surprise.
Good to see douchey traits translate across all cultures Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:33 AM
Dbulletproof
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which page is that on Genie?

Interested to see it.
5/25/13 9:33 AM
Otsuka

tubuku01 -  I went to a leung ting seminar, prior to it we were briefed by our instructor not to ask stupid questions, bow, etc. During the seminar we would stand in fighting position in front one another and practiced closing the distance, throwing a straight lead as you went in. Students would step in casually, then punch. Ting got pissed and would walk behind the student, shove the piss out of him, screaming instructions. Funny shit because you'd just see bodies flying forward as people would get caught unexpected.

Towards the end of the seminar, we gathered around, sitting for a q&a with the grandmaster. A student brought up the question of bruce lees one inch punch and if it was real. Ting got pissed, as any mention of bruce brought up hate but elected to show us how keeping the body loose could generate power. He walks up to the door frame, places his hand about an in or two away and proceeds to blast a punch into it, hitting it pretty fucking hard....

We sat back down and an INSTRUCTOR asks, "wouldn't that punch throw you off balance in a wc stance?". Ting had a look on his face like he just sucked on a lemon and we all gasped as this was an example of a stupid question. "GET OVER HERE" ting seethed and motioned for the instructor to get in his wc stance. Instructor nervously does and puts his hands up in wc fashion.

"NO, put your HANDS DOWN." instructor does as ting walks up and puts his fist about 1-2 inches from instructors nose. "fuck, here comes that one inch punch" we thought and sure as shit, ting blasts this dude in the nose 3-4 times. Nose is bending left and right as blood starts trickling down.

"ARE YOU OFF BALANCE? " ting asks." no sir" is the response. "THEN SIT DOWN AND NO MORE STUPID QUESTION FROM YOU." dude quietly sits down as we shake our heads. Lol Phone Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB6hcL4cjSg

I never knew Fight Quest did an episode on Wing Chun. Leung Ting is in it!
5/25/13 10:09 AM
6ULDV8

Haven't seen this thread in a while.

Dudes, when's Juddin' going away and what are we doing.  

FOOM!

5/25/13 10:13 AM
6ULDV8

Watching that vid right now.

In Hong Kong if you touch someone on the face, they magically fall down.

It's awesome!

5/25/13 10:15 AM
6ULDV8

"This place was originally owned by grandmaster Yip Man"

Funny thing about Hong Kong is that at one time or another Bruce Lee or Ip Man owned every piece of martial art real estate in the HKSAR.

Isn't that something?

5/25/13 10:16 AM
Otsuka

FOOM!!! Judn's here til last wek of June I think. Whats with teh vote downs man? VTFBU.
5/25/13 10:28 AM
6ULDV8

Edited: 05/25/13 10:29 AM

LOL, who cares?

Faggots and cocksuckers care about the green arrows next to their name.

I think big movement is AWESOME!  

I think it's representatives of the LGBT community showing solidarity by all voting me down together, because I think calling someone a faggot is OK and Fallon Fox beating up women is criminal.

Pathetic little cocksuckers that they are.  Whatever floats their boat as long and as they're not trying to actually put it in my butt, or get me frozen, let them have their little rainbow vote down party.  I'm ok with it.

Hope we can all hook up a few more times before he goes.  Judn's one of the good ones.

FOOM!

5/26/13 2:13 PM
Dbulletproof

Interesting show.

The Leung Ting guy seems to be a bit more self focused.

Other guy seems legit.

I might have to go and check his place out.

Isn't it disconcerting that after 3 days they can beat WC practitioners?
10/14/13 9:39 AM
6ULDV8

TTT - This was an awesome thread

10/14/13 9:39 AM
6ULDV8

TTT

10/14/13 10:27 AM
Ogami Itto
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in?
10/14/13 10:51 AM
yomamafool

Dbulletproof - Video description:

The Ving Tsun guy claimed that he will punish me by his "Scientific Ving Tsun"
and show me the "right way" of fighting
He was also proud of winning the competition of Sanda as follow,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvjxH...
After all those trash talking and insult,I thought it is necessary for me to come out and drop him down like a bad habit.
The fight was in "Pride"rules with no time limit

I agree, the guy was clearly the superior athlete, and he was quite dickish with his nonchalant attitude to the fight, however it seems that WIng Chun dude thought he knew how magnets work, or something.

"Wing Chun dude thought he knew how magnets work, or something"

lol!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.