UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Wing Chun vs Boxing = folded lawnchair (vid)

4/27/13 10:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bulerias
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's 90% the fighter and not the style. That said I think Master Wong's video's are funny: http://youtu.be/x2ruzBksh8I Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 10:16 AM
Rocky Dennis

in

4/27/13 5:51 PM
6ULDV8
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it wrong if I think that is what Bones / Sonnen is going to look like?

Don't tell me what happens!  I'm waiting to watch it with OP.  

Therefore, I cannot watch this full video in good conscience before I watch Bones / Sonnen unfold.

I haven't seen anything of the media coverage for this fight, but I've seen enough in my mind for the little guy to be Sonnen and the big guy to be Jones.

Let's just hope life imitates art.

We'll discuss this in greater detail tonight over beers I hope Dbulletproof.  It's been way too long for guys that live an hour away from each other.

I have so much shit to talk about!  Can't wait bro.

Until Sonnen

4/27/13 6:17 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

just looks like a big guy beating up on a small guy.

This. They both just kind of circled around with their hands by their side, until the knockdown which was wang Chung and which was boxing Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 6:27 PM
NHBStriker
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins - 
Ghengiseanie - Yes we'll the wing Chun guy was breaking all the rules. The science of wing Chun works so much better defensively. The way he was running in trying to hit a bigger guy with more reach was laughable. Phone Post 3.0

wing chun only works in a wing chun match

try to use it in the boxing ring, mma cage, STREET, local gym etc... and you will see this same result 99.99% of the time.

Wing Chun gets a bad rap on here. It's not a complete martial art obviously, though a lot of it's practitioners probably think it is, but when put together with some other arts, I think it's quite effective. I studied Wing Chun for a short while as well as a little PFS (Paul Vunak's Progressive Fighting Systems) and I try to blend some of that in with my boxing. Something in Wing Chun that has helped me a lot are "sticky hands" drills (I don't remember the actual Chinese name of these drills), where in those drills your arms pretty much stay stuck to your partner's arms and you learn to sense where they are going to move by feel alone. This has helped me a lot in the clinch.
4/27/13 6:41 PM
uberpinscher
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SouthernGent - Height doesn't always mean size advantage, they are probably around the same weight. The taller guy is a beanpole.
Trolllolol Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 8:29 PM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bulerias - It's 90% the fighter and not the style. That said I think Master Wong's video's are funny: http://youtu.be/x2ruzBksh8I Phone Post 3.0
I don't agree.

Look at Royce Gracie. Was a nobody in the BJJ world, choked unconscious by Wallid, skinny and weak. But he still won UFC 1 just with pure BJJ.

If he was a judo guy or a technical wrestler, he may have still won UFC 1.

But I'm absolutely certain that if Royce Gracie had learned Wing Chun he would have gotten his sticky hands shoved up him by Ken or Gordeau.

Sometimes, it is the style. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 1:17 PM
Dbulletproof
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for DV8 WC story...
4/28/13 1:45 PM
kao

ttt
4/28/13 3:34 PM
Ghengiseanie

http://youtu.be/n3jJ-lb7N8A Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 4:06 PM
tubuku01
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dbulletproof - I see you are a wing chun guy Ghengis, if you were the guy in the video (fighting someone with considerable reach) what would be your tactics?

Also, he got nailed a couple of times with hooks, is it all just straight blast in WC?
Wc guy was basically trying to box a bigger, longer, better boxer and you get the appropriate result.

Wing tsun (chun) relies on alot of in/clich fighting, not darting in and out reaching for your opponent. It does have elbow/knee strikes and alot if it's chain punches are short range and straight. The chi sao and other sensitivity exercises are to help you react, not think but all these things are useless if you're running around chasing your opponent.

Personally i would've grabbed what i could and do what it takes to remain in the clinch, using knees and elbows if I'm using only wing chun. Also, wc would be more useful as a self defense tool, as there's also finger/thumb pressure point strikes (eyes, etc).

I trained in the leung ting wing tsun system for 2 years in the early 90's as there were no bjj schools around then. Some of the things i learned I'd use in a street fight today, but I'd mix it up with bjj and wrestling. Wc complements grappling nicely. Phone Post
4/28/13 4:20 PM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going punch for punch with a boxer is not smart, no wonder the boxer won, he played his game.
4/28/13 6:08 PM
6ULDV8
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dbulletproof - TTT for DV8 WC story...

Actually there's a couple of them....And it was great to see you tonight Big D.  Get your ass out to Tsing Yi and get the Paul's out.  It's a surpisingly fantastic good time and if you can't make it home you got a place to crash.

Straight up.

Anyway...First story is me after doing Wing Chun a few months here.  Anytime you muscled these guys they started screaming that you were doing it wrong and your 'elbows were flying'.

Respect and  try to do it right, and not push the guys around.

Then, one night one of their top dogs starts slapping me in the face too much when I'm trying to follow form and not let my elbows fly.  Like my Wing Chung is weak.

After one too many slaps I politely told him if he did it again he was taking a nap.  He didn't speak Englsh, but I think he knew what I meant.

So he slapped me again and I put him in a guillotine.  I let go before sleepyland, but made him get dizzy before I let go.

He ran up to the master and started screaming about the move I just did and what would master do?

I was more than willing to show them a guillotine and a few escapes, but master thought he should think in it for a bit before showing us what to do.

A few days later when we were the last ones left in the place the master said he'd figured out a guillotine and asked me to slap one on him.

I slapped a full standing gullotine on him, all locked up.

He twitched and popped for a bit and told me how this was the perfect defense and there was nothing I could do.

I picked him up vertically by his neck and dropped him on the floor on his head.

When he came around I said I was getting really busy with work and might not be able to come train anymore.

That was the last time I trained martial arts.

4/28/13 6:23 PM
6ULDV8

To go from International Martial Arts (If it's still there, run by boss lawyer BJJ lover Bob McRoberts of McRoberts law offices)  in Winnipeg Manitoba, to wing chung in Hong Kong was quite a shock.

Oh, and here if you're interested in martial arts, you'll be fascinated to know that your current master was a student of Bruce Lee, or his master taught him.

Tell you what.

4/28/13 6:32 PM
6ULDV8

Wolf Tickets

4/28/13 6:53 PM
MagSlim

Devlin - Going punch for punch with a boxer is not smart, no wonder the boxer won, he played his game.

This.

Did this WC guy never watch UFC 1? You don't box a boxer you kick them or grapple/wrestle them.
4/29/13 3:28 AM
Dbulletproof

VU for the DV8, awesome story.

You should go back there as he must have perfected his escape by now. Then he'll be free to play sticky hands with you, Todd Keuneke style.
4/29/13 9:22 AM
6ULDV8

The place was called Scientific Ving Tsun in Sham Shui Po.

They were nice enough I guess, but pretty deluded about really fighting another person.

4/29/13 9:23 AM
6ULDV8

And the master spent 95% of his time playing video games on his computer.

4/29/13 9:27 AM
6ULDV8

Dbulletproof - Video description:

The Ving Tsun guy claimed that he will punish me by his "Scientific Ving Tsun"
and show me the "right way" of fighting
He was also proud of winning the competition of Sanda as follow,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvjxH...
After all those trash talking and insult,I thought it is necessary for me to come out and drop him down like a bad habit.
The fight was in "Pride"rules with no time limit

I agree, the guy was clearly the superior athlete, and he was quite dickish with his nonchalant attitude to the fight, however it seems that WIng Chun dude thought he knew how magnets work, or something.

Dude, I wasn't kidding that the name of the place was Scientific Ving Tsun.  

I don't recognize any of the dudes watching the fight though.

4/29/13 10:30 AM
Dbulletproof

6ULDV8 - 
Dbulletproof - Video description:

The Ving Tsun guy claimed that he will punish me by his "Scientific Ving Tsun"
and show me the "right way" of fighting
He was also proud of winning the competition of Sanda as follow,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvjxH...
After all those trash talking and insult,I thought it is necessary for me to come out and drop him down like a bad habit.
The fight was in "Pride"rules with no time limit

I agree, the guy was clearly the superior athlete, and he was quite dickish with his nonchalant attitude to the fight, however it seems that WIng Chun dude thought he knew how magnets work, or something.

Dude, I wasn't kidding that the name of the place was Scientific Ving Tsun.  

I don't recognize any of the dudes watching the fight though.

Holy shot, is it the same place that you trained at?

I might go and pay a visit.

2 legit 2 quit.
4/29/13 11:52 AM
Otsuka
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/29/13 11:52 AM
Dbull, are you entertaining the idea of a, what's the phrase I'm looking for.... a dojo storm?
4/29/13 12:03 PM
Dbulletproof

I hear they were all the rage back when you used to trane, you know, back in the nineties.
4/29/13 12:10 PM
6ULDV8

Dudes that trained in the 90s rock.  What's your point?

Otsuka and I will bring lawn chairs and beers and watch you storm while we take a load off.  As I remember it was up a flight of stairs, so we'll both be all tuckered out by the time we get there.

I am positive the place I trained at was Scientific.  I might even be able to prove it.

More to follow...

4/29/13 12:23 PM
6ULDV8

Yeah, found an old cert.  Here you go.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.