UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Wing Chun vs Boxing = folded lawnchair (vid)

5/1/13 4:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
6ULDV8
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was what made me think WC had absolutely no real life application.

The people teaching would show how they could own you after they told you where to put your hands so they could own you.

I was very respectful when I was there and didn't challenge it, but did ask a few of the other students if they thought in a real fight the opponent would put their hands where you told them so you could beat them up, but they just laughed it off.

5/1/13 4:32 AM
cm81
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tubuku01 - I went to a leung ting seminar, prior to it we were briefed by our instructor not to ask stupid questions, bow, etc. During the seminar we would stand in fighting position in front one another and practiced closing the distance, throwing a straight lead as you went in. Students would step in casually, then punch. Ting got pissed and would walk behind the student, shove the piss out of him, screaming instructions. Funny shit because you'd just see bodies flying forward as people would get caught unexpected.

Towards the end of the seminar, we gathered around, sitting for a q&a with the grandmaster. A student brought up the question of bruce lees one inch punch and if it was real. Ting got pissed, as any mention of bruce brought up hate but elected to show us how keeping the body loose could generate power. He walks up to the door frame, places his hand about an in or two away and proceeds to blast a punch into it, hitting it pretty fucking hard....

We sat back down and an INSTRUCTOR asks, "wouldn't that punch throw you off balance in a wc stance?". Ting had a look on his face like he just sucked on a lemon and we all gasped as this was an example of a stupid question. "GET OVER HERE" ting seethed and motioned for the instructor to get in his wc stance. Instructor nervously does and puts his hands up in wc fashion.

"NO, put your HANDS DOWN." instructor does as ting walks up and puts his fist about 1-2 inches from instructors nose. "fuck, here comes that one inch punch" we thought and sure as shit, ting blasts this dude in the nose 3-4 times. Nose is bending left and right as blood starts trickling down.

"ARE YOU OFF BALANCE? " ting asks." no sir" is the response. "THEN SIT DOWN AND NO MORE STUPID QUESTION FROM YOU." dude quietly sits down as we shake our heads. Lol Phone Post
Lol at this, and at anyone who would still train in wing chun after attending such a seminar. Sorry, but Teung sounds like a dick and a bully. No budo there for sure. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 5:55 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hermanitor - 
Ghengiseanie - 
Ghengiseanie -
Dbulletproof - I see you are a wing chun guy Ghengis, if you were the guy in the video (fighting someone with considerable reach) what would be your tactics?

Also, he got nailed a couple of times with hooks, is it all just straight blast in WC?
It would be wait for an opportunity to slip or counter. Grapple and trip. Kicks to the knees. Bring him down to a level where a straight blast could be effective. Phone Post 3.0
The wing Chun counter to a hook is either a straight block, slip or to duck. This relies on you being more aware and quicker thn your opponent. The guy in the video had shit stance improper foot placement. Zero patience, Incorrect foot movement and was the aggressor. I would say he had maybe four lessons. And didn't pay attention in any. Phone Post 3.0

Yup, and there's no true Scotsman.

Perhaps you can point us to a video showing us Teh R33L Wing Chun (against an actual attacker)? That might be more convincing than "no no no, that's not real WC either"

http://youtu.be/szdF1nIAfpk

5/1/13 6:07 AM
mwmhong
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 7:22 AM
6ULDV8
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/01/13 7:22 AM

Top Youtube comment:

Luckily it was just Wing Chun so nobody got hurt.

5/1/13 8:13 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tubuku01 - I went to a leung ting seminar, prior to it we were briefed by our instructor not to ask stupid questions, bow, etc. During the seminar we would stand in fighting position in front one another and practiced closing the distance, throwing a straight lead as you went in. Students would step in casually, then punch. Ting got pissed and would walk behind the student, shove the piss out of him, screaming instructions. Funny shit because you'd just see bodies flying forward as people would get caught unexpected.

Towards the end of the seminar, we gathered around, sitting for a q&a with the grandmaster. A student brought up the question of bruce lees one inch punch and if it was real. Ting got pissed, as any mention of bruce brought up hate but elected to show us how keeping the body loose could generate power. He walks up to the door frame, places his hand about an in or two away and proceeds to blast a punch into it, hitting it pretty fucking hard....

We sat back down and an INSTRUCTOR asks, "wouldn't that punch throw you off balance in a wc stance?". Ting had a look on his face like he just sucked on a lemon and we all gasped as this was an example of a stupid question. "GET OVER HERE" ting seethed and motioned for the instructor to get in his wc stance. Instructor nervously does and puts his hands up in wc fashion.

"NO, put your HANDS DOWN." instructor does as ting walks up and puts his fist about 1-2 inches from instructors nose. "fuck, here comes that one inch punch" we thought and sure as shit, ting blasts this dude in the nose 3-4 times. Nose is bending left and right as blood starts trickling down.

"ARE YOU OFF BALANCE? " ting asks." no sir" is the response. "THEN SIT DOWN AND NO MORE STUPID QUESTION FROM YOU." dude quietly sits down as we shake our heads. Lol Phone Post
What a fucking asshole! Phone Post
5/1/13 8:40 AM
6ULDV8

Could you imagine having to let your martial arts teacher do that to you and not be expected to at least try to defend yourself?

I couldn't before I tried Wing Chun, but that's exactly what you did.  

You got put into a position and then people showed how they could beat you as long as you were standing the way they put you without moving too much and ruining everything.

Kooky

5/1/13 9:06 AM
Dbulletproof
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ DV8's clip!

So basically they threw their WC out of the window and ended up rolling around with poor ground skills.

I have yet to see a video that shows WC as legit.

Granted, that's quite a sweeping statement, however if anyone has a legit video I'd love to see it.
5/1/13 9:17 AM
Munk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's the aikido of striking arts.
5/1/13 9:34 AM
Dbulletproof
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy fuckballs, I have found an awesome clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAsxPEP7Tk

Don't carjack a WC master!

Could you please..............back...............up!
5/1/13 10:32 AM
Randy Watson
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 

Top Youtube comment:

Luckily it was just Wing Chun so nobody got hurt.

Hahahah ! That clip has reached the realms of folklore.Boztepe attacking Cheung on his blind side while Cheung was in the middle of conducting a seminar.... Then claims he whipped his ass... Funny shit. One of the pioneers of Karate in Australia, Shihan Tino Ceberano, had a saying, it's not the style but the man. So true.
5/1/13 11:14 AM
6ULDV8

Dbulletproof - Holy fuckballs, I have found an awesome clip:

LOL, I'm 12 seconds in and dying!

5/1/13 11:15 AM
6ULDV8

I don't want any TROUBLE FUM FUM FUM FUM FUM!

5/1/13 11:24 AM
Otsuka
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wing Chun takedown defense, no can attack!
5/1/13 12:17 PM
Dbulletproof

' One time I was waiting on line behind this guy at Target and he left his wallet at the register. I ran up to him and was like, "Oh wait, hey, you left your wall--" then everything went black and the last thing I heard was FOOM" FOOM FOOM FOOM!!!!"

Legit lol at that youtube comment.
5/1/13 12:27 PM
PrisonMattressPuncher

Plus, the tall guy was NOt kicking. Imagine he had kicked and elbowed too?

TO me Wing Chun isn't a sparring art, it is a linear direct attack art. I think it is great for the street self-defence, straight in, flurrly, low body attack and then leave.

5/1/13 12:33 PM
hubris
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

with the Ip Man movies, a new generation of Chinese kids are going go be drinking the Wing Chun Kool-Aid
5/1/13 12:36 PM
pheonix5
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 
Dbulletproof - Holy fuckballs, I have found an awesome clip:

LOL, I'm 12 seconds in and dying!

Poor little feller don't know no better. I always said he was somethin' special.
5/1/13 12:39 PM
pheonix5
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrisonMattressPuncher - 

Plus, the tall guy was NOt kicking. Imagine he had kicked and elbowed too?

TO me Wing Chun isn't a sparring art, it is a linear direct attack art. I think it is great for the street self-defence, straight in, flurrly, low body attack and then leave.

Your name got me crackin' up.
5/1/13 1:08 PM
Otsuka
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - with the Ip Man movies, a new generation of Chinese kids are going go be drinking the Wing Chun Kool-Aid

Funny thing is, Wing Chun wasn't even a dominant style of kung fu. It only got popular because of the Bruce Lee connection. Back in the day, it was Choy Lee Fut that was dominant in the old kung fu tournaments. But kids these days don't know that. They just think... Bruce Lee learned WC from Ip Man, which was an awesome movie, therefore WC is the shit.
5/1/13 1:17 PM
6ULDV8

Good stuff though.  I don't want the kids here being able to beat me up.

5/1/13 1:39 PM
Otsuka

Doesn't your daughter beat you up daily with her Wushu?
5/1/13 2:30 PM
6ULDV8

Not yet, and I told her she can't start posting here until she can, so she'd better get to trainin.

5/1/13 6:00 PM
tubuku01

6ULDV8 -

Could you imagine having to let your martial arts teacher do that to you and not be expected to at least try to defend yourself?

I couldn't before I tried Wing Chun, but that's exactly what you did.  

You got put into a position and then people showed how they could beat you as long as you were standing the way they put you without moving too much and ruining everything.

Kooky

Yeah that pretty much summed up the whole wc experience but it was the early 90's and we were conditioned to see our main instructors as invincible fighters. Leung ting has long been exposed as a fraud and an asshole.

Normally if a question was brought up to my regular instructor he'd have you stop mid way (punch, kick), then proceed to show you all the ways he could sweep, punch or beat you up. When a local karate guy challenged him he gave the typical "wc is a street self defense art. My techniques are illegal and could really hurt you as its not a sport."

Lol Phone Post
5/1/13 6:12 PM
BernardHopkins

Ghengiseanie - 
BernardHopkins -
Ghengiseanie - Yes we'll the wing Chun guy was breaking all the rules. The science of wing Chun works so much better defensively. The way he was running in trying to hit a bigger guy with more reach was laughable. Phone Post 3.0

wing chun only works in a wing chun match

try to use it in the boxing ring, mma cage, STREET, local gym etc... and you will see this same result 99.99% of the time.
I've never had my ass handed to me. In 17 years with some time on the doors. Sure I had to adapt it when I started training MMA and its not as useful against a trained fighter. It's self defence techniques are valid and useful. Phone Post 3.0

you aint bout that life

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.