UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Wing Chun vs Boxing = folded lawnchair (vid)

5/3/13 8:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Naughty Gorilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - 
PrisonMattressPuncher -

I would say thay Wing Chun is one of the BEST traditional martial arts for self-defence against untrained opponents (in martial arts, not criminality) who approach you, threaten you, and try to enter on your space, mug you, etc. If your awareness is there and you are not "jumped", I think Wing Chun is tops. It is straight in down the centreline, attacking with hard palms, vertical fists, and low level kicks. That is usually enough to dissuade someone from trying to hassle you.

Trying to state the Wing Chun is no good because of better methods of "sparring" is ridiculous. In REAL self-defence, you have to be quick, decisive, and go in hard and then try to leave. WC does that much better than MMA.

Look here's the reality. Brandon Vera's skills were 100%, positively USELESS against REAL criminals during an armed home invasion. Lloyd Irvin's grappling skills were useless in this situation. He admitted that. What saved him? IT was a gun disarm taught to military derived from a traditional martial art (I think Aikido). That is what saved him. The one chance he had, he took, and it worked in his favor. None of the MMa stuff would have worked because sparring is like a dance, it trains you to thinklike a tennis match, trading back and forth. All that saved them from being killed was a move outside the realm of MMA.

Sparring is overrated for self-defense. True self-defense is trying to immobilize, stun, hurt, distract, etc., quickly and decsively so one can effect a quick escape. Too many people think glorified bar fighting is self-defense and thus sparring is needed. It isn't. I have been in two self-defense situations that required physical contact, and I was successful without sparring, using basic, simple stuff to hurt so I could leave asap.

Wrong.

In the situation that Vera and LI were in, if it was a wing chun guy he would have tried some lop sau shite and ended up shot dead.

LI's gun disarm was probably from Sambo. BJJ itself, and Judo, also teach gun disarms. All effective martial arts. WC... Not quite. Phone Post 3.0

No they don't.

"BJJ itself, and Judo, also teach gun disarms."
5/3/13 8:53 AM
Naughty Gorilla

Yip Man's WC was very pussified. It's very obviously less powerful than the mainland which has better kicks and MT-like elbows (not saying mainland WC is a worldbeater by any means). Why did he do that? Maybe it *was* the martial art of a frail old opium smoker.

Maybe kungfu was not supposed to be a common commercial thing and he did water it down for the masses.
5/3/13 8:54 AM
6ULDV8
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dbulletproof - Some secretive Wing Chun guy be giving me the vote downs...

I SEE YOU........

WING CHUN MAN!!!

I can just picture it:

Must FOOM downvote FOOM this FOOM guy FOOM FOOM FOOM!

5/3/13 11:47 AM
Dbulletproof
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^legit lol

Then he picked up his keys and looked pissed off.

FOOM FOOM FOOM !
5/3/13 12:05 PM
6ULDV8
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I FOOM love FOOM Wing FOOM Chung and saying FOOM!

FOOM FOOM FOOM!

5/3/13 12:15 PM
Otsuka
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched the video without sound at first (I was at work), so I didn't get the FOOM FOOM FOOM joke. Now I watched it again... legit lulz!!!
5/3/13 1:12 PM
hubris
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOOM FOOM FOOM

I like how the attacker always gets knocked out immediately and slumps to the ground
5/3/13 3:48 PM
Stone Rolled
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not Wing Chun, but found this video of a DRUNKEN KUNG FU practitioner putting up a fight than you can imagine against a MMA fighter in a pancration tournament. ENJOY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8jOGceedfw
5/3/13 3:53 PM
6ULDV8

hubris - FOOM FOOM FOOM

I like how the attacker always gets knocked out immediately and slumps to the ground

All the while getting respectful warnings, wing chung, and FOOMs!

5/3/13 3:59 PM
6ULDV8

Stone Rolled - Not Wing Chun, but found this video of a DRUNKEN KUNG FU practitioner putting up a fight than you can imagine against a MMA fighter in a pancration tournament. ENJOY:

I don't even think that's a real kung fu style.  Awesome.

5/3/13 4:04 PM
HexRei

6ULDV8 - 
Stone Rolled - Not Wing Chun, but found this video of a DRUNKEN KUNG FU practitioner putting up a fight than you can imagine against a MMA fighter in a pancration tournament. ENJOY:

I don't even think that's a real kung fu style.  Awesome.

kinda surprised he tapped, there wasn't really a choke there. i think he was just tired or not sure of what to do to escape or something.
5/3/13 9:47 PM
Dbulletproof
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOQcJ63vkFE

drunken kung fu vs karate

again, it doesn't really work, and kf dude doesn't seem to have any legitimately powerful/effective strikes.
5/4/13 4:35 AM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This WC guy has pretty good front kicks. And his chain punches seemed to have some "sting" to them. Definately the best WC guy I've seen in one of these challenge matches. I know, that's not saying much. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4
5/4/13 6:20 AM
6ULDV8

Dbulletproof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOQcJ63vkFE

drunken kung fu vs karate

again, it doesn't really work, and kf dude doesn't seem to have any legitimately powerful/effective strikes.

Dang

5/4/13 6:22 AM
6ULDV8

I'd say this is the first example of a WC dude looking like a legitimate badass.

VTFU

5/4/13 6:22 AM
6ULDV8

Guerrero - This WC guy has pretty good front kicks. And his chain punches seemed to have some "sting" to them. Definately the best WC guy I've seen in one of these challenge matches. I know, that's not saying much. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7td8Hc-V4

Above video provided by Guerrero.

5/4/13 8:43 AM
Otsuka
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice find. looks like its from the mainland.
5/4/13 9:54 PM
cm81
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

I'd say this is the first example of a WC dude looking like a legitimate badass.

VTFU

Agree, best example I've seen yet.

Sadly, it also shows how bad WC is. Even when done by such a high level practitioner... He failed to even put a dent on his overmatched karate opponent's face despite hitting him with everything but the kitchen sink.

Also, like Boztepe vs Cheung, it ended up becoming a ground fight with two guys who were absolutely clueless at what to do there. So much for anti grappling.

I still believe it is best to avoid WC. You only live once and time is limited, better to invest time and $ in something more worthwhile. Phone Post 3.0
5/4/13 10:14 PM
hubris
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WC vs Muay Thai

5/4/13 10:17 PM
hubris

Wing Chun vs Karate

5/4/13 10:30 PM
hubris

I just realized something

Wing Chun was originally made for women. I guess this is why Wing Chun guys look like bitches when they fight

5/5/13 12:34 AM
Otsuka

The problem with WC is that they revolve entirely around chi sao or sticky hands, instead of actual sparring. They think being good at chi sao = good at fighting. This is akin to BJJers starting on their knees all the time and never learning takedowns or striking. But at least, BJJers in Vale Tudo/MMA do learn takedowns and striking.
5/5/13 12:47 AM
Vinnie G
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - WC vs Muay Thai

Oh man, that kid got lumped up. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:48 AM
Scythrop
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naughty Gorilla - 
cm81 - 
PrisonMattressPuncher -

I would say thay Wing Chun is one of the BEST traditional martial arts for self-defence against untrained opponents (in martial arts, not criminality) who approach you, threaten you, and try to enter on your space, mug you, etc. If your awareness is there and you are not "jumped", I think Wing Chun is tops. It is straight in down the centreline, attacking with hard palms, vertical fists, and low level kicks. That is usually enough to dissuade someone from trying to hassle you.

Trying to state the Wing Chun is no good because of better methods of "sparring" is ridiculous. In REAL self-defence, you have to be quick, decisive, and go in hard and then try to leave. WC does that much better than MMA.

Look here's the reality. Brandon Vera's skills were 100%, positively USELESS against REAL criminals during an armed home invasion. Lloyd Irvin's grappling skills were useless in this situation. He admitted that. What saved him? IT was a gun disarm taught to military derived from a traditional martial art (I think Aikido). That is what saved him. The one chance he had, he took, and it worked in his favor. None of the MMa stuff would have worked because sparring is like a dance, it trains you to thinklike a tennis match, trading back and forth. All that saved them from being killed was a move outside the realm of MMA.

Sparring is overrated for self-defense. True self-defense is trying to immobilize, stun, hurt, distract, etc., quickly and decsively so one can effect a quick escape. Too many people think glorified bar fighting is self-defense and thus sparring is needed. It isn't. I have been in two self-defense situations that required physical contact, and I was successful without sparring, using basic, simple stuff to hurt so I could leave asap.

Wrong.

In the situation that Vera and LI were in, if it was a wing chun guy he would have tried some lop sau shite and ended up shot dead.

LI's gun disarm was probably from Sambo. BJJ itself, and Judo, also teach gun disarms. All effective martial arts. WC... Not quite. Phone Post 3.0

No they don't.

Gun and knife disarms are found in Judo in the Goshin Jutsu kata.

You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9SfzhSDjBw

This kata is not practiced very much, and there is some debate about how realistic these disarms are.
5/5/13 2:01 AM
cm81
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scythrop -
Naughty Gorilla - 
cm81 - 
PrisonMattressPuncher -

Wrong.

No they don't.

Gun and knife disarms are found in Judo in the Goshin Jutsu kata.

You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9SfzhSDjBw

This kata is not practiced very much, and there is some debate about how realistic these disarms are.
Thanks for that and laying down the correct on these peeps that have no clue about what comes out their mouths. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.