UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nelson hopes big win over Kongo earns title shot

4/26/13 7:20 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Some fighters aspire to be the Anderson Silva of their division, or the Georges St-Pierre, or the Jon Jones. UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson appeared at the UFC 159 media day at Madison Square Garden in New York, and cited a less likely figure.

"If they go, 'Hey, you can have the next title shot,' I'll wait for two years, three years, four years, whatever," said Nelson. "I'll take that. I'll be the Rashad Evans of the heavyweight division."

Standing in Nelson's way is Cheick Kongo; the pair fight on the main card of UFC 159 Saturday night. A win over Kongo would put Nelson on a 3-0 streak, following wins over Matt Mitrione and Dave Herman. A first round KO would put Nelson on a 3-0 streak, with three first round KOs.

That would be a reversal from his previous fights, where in his previous four fights. Junior dos Santos, Frank Mir, and Fabricio Werdum all beat Nelson via decision over three rounds; his sole win in the four-fight stretch was vs. Mirko Cro Cop, and that went into the third, too.

The reversal parallels an about face in Nelson's career. For his first three years in MMA, Nelson relied on his wrestling and black belt in BJJ. For three years, he never hit a heavy bag, or training in boxing. He thought striking was unnecessary.

Then, in his 8th fight, he knocked out Vin Lucero in the IFL.

“Such a fluke,” said Nelson. “I was just throwing punches and happened to knock somebody out. I just realized then that it was easier to knock somebody out than to take them down.”

The change was profound.

Of Nelson's six wins before Lucero, five were by submission, one by decision. Of his 13 wins since Lucero, 12 were by KO.

So Saturday night, Nelson's looking for a knockout.

"At the end of the day, fans like to see me fight regardless," said Nelson. "But if I can get a knockout faster and be in and out, I usually can get back to the victory dinner. The more I bust my hump, the less work I actually have to do in the ring. I've taken that philosophy. I've always been a procrastinator, so I would always train as late as possible. But now I train a little more and it makes things a lot easier."

Like Nelson, Kongo too has seen a change a career turn around. After losing to Cain Velasquez and Frank Mir, Kongo is 4-1-1 his last six.

"Cheick has a few strategies," said Nelson. "I've got to make sure he doesn't try to grab my shorts. That's a big one. Knees to the balls – that's a big one. No grabbing the fence. And then hopefully he won't run. So those are all the things I'm looking at. I'm there to fight, and try to knock his block off."

"If Cheick wants to fight, then I'm ready to go. But if he's going to run, I didn't bring my running shoes. I'll chase him down if I have to. But at the end of the day, I just want to fight."

Nelson knows Cain Velasquez defends his UFC heavyweight title vs. Bigfoot Silva fight next month, and he wants the winner.

"It really comes down to the fans," said Nelson. "It is about that timing. After UFC 160, it's only a month difference. So the timing after this, if I win, I definitely could get the next title shot."

4/26/13 7:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jobe Watson the Gentleman
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he doesn't fight Mark Hunt soon I'm going to shit in my hand and throw it at Dana.
4/26/13 7:44 AM
war wand
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 7:47 AM
Steven McTowelie
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you can go 0-3 against top contenders, and then a 3 fight win streak against nobodies (in a ranking sense) earns you a title shot?

Interesting...

4/26/13 7:48 AM
Mufasatheking
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

roy vs browne would be good
4/26/13 7:52 AM
Paul_Blanka_Harris

I love me some big ocuntry but he hasnt beat a top 5 oponent  aint he like 0-3 againt top 5 guys. People can say something similar agaisnt Mark hunt e.i no top 5 wins but the difference is that at least he hast losss to any of the top 5 ether . If hunto beats junior he should be next in line with out a doubt , and if he doesnt  then big nog or werdum winner .

4/26/13 7:52 AM
ac92

Jobe Watson the Gentleman - If he doesn't fight Mark Hunt soon I'm going to shit in my hand and throw it at Dana.

I'm with you on that one!
4/26/13 8:22 AM
NorthFromHere
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
LOL dude wat?
4/26/13 8:41 AM
Big Pookie
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, Roy's funny.
GarlicSauce

Roy Vs. Cain, now. WARROY!
BrattMamley
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Werdum absolutely ran through Big Country and hasn't lost since. No way he gets a title shot before Fabricio.

4/26/13 8:46 AM
Ramon Maroni

BrattMamley - 

Werdum absolutely ran through Big Country and hasn't lost since. No way he gets a title shot before Fabricio.

4/26/13 8:59 AM
TheRealMrBeefy

If Werdum wins against Big Nog then he should get the next shot, then after him it will be JDS if he beats Hunt.

Big Country needs a few more wins against stronger competition before he deserves a title shot. Beating Herman, Mitrione and possibly Kongo does not earn him shit.

Every time Country gets close to a title contender fight, he loses. Phone Post
4/26/13 9:13 AM
Jaybrone
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramon Maroni - 
BrattMamley - 

This.

Sorry Roy, fat chance you get a title shot with a win...

4/26/13 9:15 AM
Arecsa
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shorts grab, nut shot and fence grab. Roy has him scouted well.
4/26/13 9:15 AM
steverowbotham
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Roy Nelson, but the dude really is delusional

4/26/13 9:20 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy vs the Reem. Book it. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 9:30 AM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some great points here.

Fabricio first.

and i also will shit in my hand and throw it at dana if he doesn't fight hunt soon.
4/26/13 9:46 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie

in my opinion, it would take an active god for the bald father to give that dude a chance at the title. he should be on the show duck dynasty.
4/26/13 9:48 AM
Jaybrone
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunt is in the discussion for a title shot because he has beaten a top 10 HW in Struve and is booked against the guy who just lost the belt. Kongo was EARLY in Hunt's run not the guy he beat to start talking title shot.

4/26/13 11:23 AM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kongo = gateway to a title shot.  seems legit

4/27/13 9:32 AM
Shoguns Shorts
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder who Roy brought into his camp to simulate Kongo's nut shots? Phone Post
4/27/13 11:51 AM
LyotoBundy
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy vs Browne still wouldn't get him a shot. 2 more convincing wins against higher opponents and a real obvious competitive drive would IMO. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.