UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones, an overrated champion?

4/26/13 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thetruetitan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so my question to the people who discredit jones's wins is who else should he have fought? Name me five opponents who are better than evans, machida, rua, page, and vitor. The fact is he fought the best that the division had to offer and beat them all.
4/26/13 10:05 AM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/26/13 10:13 AM

John jones is underrated if anything.

Guy is up there for P4P goat.

He really should be undefeated.

Finished a lot of guys that are tough to finish.

Never really been in trouble in a fight.

4/26/13 10:13 AM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anything Jon Jones is underrated by the mouthbreathers on this site.

Before every fight he was going to get manhandled (Jon Jones has never seen wrestling like this guy's, or Jon Jones has never had to deal with a guy with this level of striking ...). And he blew through every one of them. And people still start stupid threads like this one.

Cormier has never been at 205 and has beaten Josh Barnett, who frankly hasn't exactly been fighting the upper echelon of the sport; Bigfoot, a guy who has always been regarded as a fighter who is almost there, but inconsistent; and tired old Mir.

Gus has the best resume out of all of them and has to wait his turn only because of this garbage fight that Sonnen talked his way into after old man Henderson hurt his knee. I have zero doubts that after Jones wins Saturday night, he's fighting Gus in the fall (if not sooner if this is a quick one).

There isn't one other fighter in the UFC (outside of Anderson Silva) who has so thoroughly dominated his peers.
4/26/13 10:32 AM
Samoa
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone fought more championship caliber opponents?  He beat the reigning UFC Champion and then demolished 4 former Light Heavyweight Champs.  If he's overrated, give me your analysis of another UFC Champion who deserves (in your mind) to be considered above JBJ.

4/26/13 10:33 AM
eljamaiquino

cecils_pupils - Jones is NOT overrated. When his career is over he will go down in the history books as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. After dominating LHW he will destroy Anderson Silva, then dominate the HW division.

It's easy to say he is overrated right now, he has only 18 total pro fights in five years. Andersons career has spanned 15 years and 37 pro fights.

After only 5 years Jones is clearly in the top 3 pound-for-pound fighters.

Clearly NOT overrated.
He won't fight Anderson. Too much risk if he loses, and Anderson has done better against their common opponents. Phone Post
4/26/13 10:35 AM
cecils_pupils

^^ Jones actually made it official and announced it yesterday - Jones will fight Anderson. The only way that doesn't happen is if Anderson refuses to fight Jones.
4/26/13 10:35 AM
kungfugrip

Jones has fought and beat everyone the ufc has given him. I believe for the most part, he finished everyone too. There isnt a fight that he's turned down. The "young" guys will be getting there chance.

As for a person, I am not sold on him. I think there is quick about the person he is, but not the fighter he is
4/26/13 10:40 AM
sparkyman
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chadderz - I want to start off with saying I don't like Jones as a person.

As a fighter he is definitely Champion material. He wins decisively and in a dominating fashion against previous champions who should at least look like they put up a fight.

The armbar I think comes from Vitor spending a lifetime on the mats, and at the end of the day, he didn't win.
Exactly Thanks for saving me typing that :) Phone Post
4/26/13 1:12 PM
eljamaiquino

cecils_pupils - ^^ Jones actually made it official and announced it yesterday - Jones will fight Anderson. The only way that doesn't happen is if Anderson refuses to fight Jones.
Just like Gsp will fight Anderson .....at ww, when he feels like it
The conditions make all the difference .... Phone Post
4/26/13 2:31 PM
Viet Rounder

Anyone who dismantles Shogun and Machida the way he did can NOT be overrated, prime or not.
4/26/13 2:42 PM
MachidasBrew

LYOTO IS NOT AT THE END OF HIS CAREER WTF. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 2:47 PM
AngryFoamy
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is underrated if anything.  He may be a dick, but he's a tough dick.

4/26/13 2:59 PM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes he is overrated like Jordan, Ali, and Gretzgy. None of them as good as people say...... Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 3:04 PM
wiggum
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mighty Mouse and Cruz: weak, shallow divisions. Decisions.

Aldo: No real competition in a while besides Edgar, and besides, he lost that fight.

Bendo: Lost two decisions on his title "run."

GSP: Besides BJ Penn and Matt Hughes, who has he really beat? George Safe Pierre

Anderson: Weidman is going to kill him. All it takes is okay wrestling and submission defense. He got Henderson at his worst. Besides that, what? Chael? Gimme a break.

Cain: JDS was going through a divorce.
4/26/13 3:06 PM
epic hero

People just look at the names but in the context it's not what people make it out to be. The issue is the new fans only look at paper and records they can't comprehend anything beyond that, people lost the ability to actually think and objectively view something within the proper context
4/26/13 3:36 PM
Damaynevent

I'd argue that Lyoto and Rashad were at their peaks when they fought JBJ. Page, Shogun, and Vitor are better than most of the LHW in the UFC. I don't think Glover and Gus have a snowballs chance in hell of beating JBJ. Gus couldn't handle Phil Davis so what do you think Jon is going to do to him on the ground? Glover's gas tank has looked suspect in last two fights. That doesn't scream title contender in my opinion. Cormier presents an interesting challenge, but I can see JBJ picking him apart from the outside until he gets tired and then getting mauled on the ground for a potential finish. All these present interesting fights for JBJ, but I just don't see how any present any threat to JBJ's current reign as champ. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 3:52 PM
Strykr619

Before Jon Jones the light heavyweight division was the deepest division in the UFC but now that He cleaned it out it's now considered the weakest division sit back and think about that for a second you haters are going out discredit his wins and claimed they were against "old and tired fighters really but now you're just reaching Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 4:14 PM
JerodR
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else ever notice that the only time a champion is "faded and at their worst" is when they get beat?...

Machida was good enough to take out everyone else...

Shogun was good enough to solve the riddle of Machida when the "Machida Era" had begun. He was also good enough to have a war with Dan Henderson.

Rashad Evans was good enough to beat nearly everyone, and was very much in the peak of his career.

Also, Jones didn't just win these fights.. He flat out dominated in these fights.
4/28/13 2:36 PM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP sucks. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.