UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Cormier could have title shot at 205

4/26/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Daniel Cormier is a perfect 12-0 in the heavyweight division five wins under the Strikeforce banner and having recently defeated former UFC champion Frank Mir at the UFC on FOX 7.

At 5'10", Cormier is considered short for a heavyweight and his frame definitely looks more suited for the light heavyweight division. And especially with his training partner holding the heavyweight title, a drop it weight might be coming soon. But where should that land him in the division, at least according to UFC President Dana White, right at the top:

"He could drop to 205 and get a shot at the title in my opinion, on day one," he said. "Look at the guys he's beat at heavyweight."

It is not yet currently known if the 34-year-old Cormier could make the number due to kidney issues he sustained during his amateur wrestling career while cutting weight. In his last three fights, he has checked in at 235, 230 and 238 pounds, respectively. To make the light heavyweight championship fight limit, he would have to get down to 205 or less.

"I actually prefer him at 205," he said. "This heavyweight division isn’t like other heavyweight divisions. And in saying that, he beat Josh Barnett. That’s a big deal. I just don’t think he has the punching power at heavyweight that he’d have at 205."

read entire article...

4/26/13 10:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cecils_pupils
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be nice to have some fresh new blood vying for the LHW title. I'd rather see Cormier vs. Jones than Gustoffson vs. Jones. Don't matter who goes first though, Jones will dispose of them both.
4/26/13 10:20 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC vs Vitor? Phone Post
4/26/13 10:23 AM
BrattMamley
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/26/13 10:26 AM
HandyDarsh
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/26/13 10:28 AM
EckY
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy 1 punched Bigfoot, smashed Barnett and owned Mir but he needs to drop to 205???
4/26/13 11:27 AM
Reeko

I don't know why but I just can't see him at LW. He's short but has so much belly on him. Regardless I hope he does, it would be cool to see him shake things up in LW division.
4/26/13 12:00 PM
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier should wait and see what happens in the Cain vs Bigfoot fight. The UFC heavyweight belt has a very transient history...to say the least.
4/26/13 12:36 PM
Furyan

Silverball - Cormier should wait and see what happens in the Cain vs Bigfoot fight. The UFC heavyweight belt has a very transient history...to say the least.
This. The record for HW defenses is 2. That title changes frequently he may wait and see what will happen. I'd still like to see DC vs. Jones though Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 12:39 PM
Chimp Strength
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reeko - I don't know why but I just can't see him at LW. He's short but has so much belly on him. Regardless I hope he does, it would be cool to see him shake things up in LW division.
Benson by kidney failure imo. Phone Post 3.0
4/26/13 1:05 PM
R00STER

Chimp Strength - 
Reeko - I don't know why but I just can't see him at LW. He's short but has so much belly on him. Regardless I hope he does, it would be cool to see him shake things up in LW division.
Benson by kidney failure imo. Phone Post 3.0

LOL...yeah let's see if he can make 205 before trying for 155.
4/26/13 1:56 PM
8flat
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- about kills himself trying to make 211 (96kg) in the Olympics

- UFC thinks he should drop to 205
4/26/13 1:59 PM
rkilla
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/26/13 2:00 PM
8flat - - about kills himself trying to make 211 (96kg) in the Olympics

Cormier does not seem to mind.

"I had been cutting weight for a really long time," Cormier said. "I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. ... Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary."

""Physically, I'm different now," said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. "When I was saying that I couldn't make light heavyweight, it wasn't happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I'm 234 pounds. That's almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I'm lighter now than even when I was wrestling.""

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/usa-today-despite-near-tragic-weight-cut-ufcs-daniel-cormier-considering-205

4/26/13 2:06 PM
springfield
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier should not get an immediate shot at Chael's belt. Phone Post
4/26/13 3:42 PM
stonepony

Common sense. He won't fight Cain, so, what's the point of staying at HW where he doesn't belong anyway? He has a good 20lbs of weight to drop. Nobody is talking about him cutting water weight from where he's at. He has plenty of room to lean down before starting a cut.
4/26/13 7:20 PM
Wildcard
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrattMamley - 

Hey Abbott!!!!
4/26/13 7:23 PM
DoomFarmer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkilla - 

"I had been cutting weight for a really long time," Cormier said. "I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. ... Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary."

""Physically, I'm different now," said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. "When I was saying that I couldn't make light heavyweight, it wasn't happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I'm 234 pounds. That's almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I'm lighter now than even when I was wrestling.""

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/usa-today-despite-near-tragic-weight-cut-ufcs-daniel-cormier-considering-205

These guys know Cormier's body and his dieting abilities better than he does though.

And they laugh at this foolish notion that he can do this.

It certainly has nothing to do with the fact that the idea of a Jones/Cormier matchup makes them a tad bit nervous for Jones...
4/26/13 8:50 PM
TheBigBadBootyDaddy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/234041-Mens-Freestyle-Olympic-Training-Camp/video/69758-Van-Ride

This video is from 2008.
4/27/13 2:29 AM
8flat
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkilla - 

True, but he's also older now, which makes it even tougher. And after you screw your liver up like that (i think it was his liver that took such a bad hit?), I'm not so sure it's a good idea to try cutting weight again?
4/27/13 3:24 AM
JerodR
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly he could take a few fights then challenge at HW instead. I like Cain but the HW division is not exactly known for having a single title holder for too long. Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 12:56 PM
PablosNewton
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo - 155
Anderson Silva - 185
JonJones -205

looks like Django gettin Unchained. He should stay at heavy and wait til cain loses the belt.

4/27/13 1:31 PM
Subvertir

A lean Cormier at 205 is a wrecking machine.

Look at how fast and explosive he is at heavyweight and then subtract 15 lbs of fat.

I don't think Jon Jones can fuck with that. Honestly, I don't think Brock Lesnar, Alistair Overeem, Cain Velasquez, Anderson Silva, or anyone else in the UFC can fuck with that.

Once he gets comfortable with performing in the Octagon, it's ON.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.