UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> House cooling options

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/26/13 4:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
conviser
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the most cost-effective way to cool down an old single-wall house with brie(sp?) roof and zero insulation? My folks' place is a damn oven during the day, and I don't want anyone suffering heat stroke (they're getting up there in years), but they hate A/C -- allergies and such. Seems like there are a million products out there:

* Insulation -- fiberglass batts, blow-in cellulose, spray-in foam
* Radiant barriers
* Solar attic fan
* Whole house fan
* Ceiling fans
* Shutters (to replace the living-room picture windows that let in all the sun)

For the best options above, do you guys recommend any specific contractors on Oahu? I'm a fatass office guy, so I'm not squeezing into a baking-hot crawlspace just to do a bad hatchet job.

As always, thanks in advance for any recs.
4/26/13 4:41 PM
FCTV808
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

solar attic is a must.

what part of town fren?

4/26/13 5:33 PM
conviser
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windward side. I don't remember it being so hot in that place, growing up. Global warming, imo.

Thanks for the tip; will look more into solar attic. I did have a solar guy tell me that the sun isn't as strong east of the Koolaus, so it may not be as good a value in that area. I appreciated the feedback, esp. since the guy kind of killed his business opportunity....

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the previous house owner built an extension over an original exterior wall, which contains roof vents (birdholes). So some hot attic air expels right into the extension. That might mess up how an attic fan works. Might need to patch those vents up and cut out some new ones....
4/26/13 5:59 PM
FCTV808
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lots of correct in the assessment. costco has solar fans cheap. hire a handyman to throw it up. all good.

and if they have the funds, split ac for a room that they spend a lot of time in isn't a bad idea. my parents were really opposed to ac, until they got one. now... oh man

4/26/13 6:15 PM
Robobear
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a solar attic fan from Costco a few years ago. Best money I ever sent. Not hard to hook up but you need tools. Dropped my inside day temp at least five to ten degrees. My house very similar to your description.

4/26/13 6:16 PM
Robobear
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spent not sent. Damn auto correct.

4/26/13 6:36 PM
nuff lurking
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inter island solar (mapunapuna) sells the best fans, they are a little more expensive than costco although they have higher rate of air movement. i think its was 25 or 20 year full warranty fan and solar panel.
solar attic fans are great!
4/26/13 7:33 PM
JIMMYNAKS
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The HG is also where I come for all my life advise. WIN!
4/26/13 8:44 PM
Dr. Shocker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My parents have an older single wall type house with open ceiling. They did that roof paint reflector dealio and DAM that dropped the internal temp an incredible amount! Shit you not
4/27/13 4:07 PM
nuff lurking
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yup! There is a couple diff types of roof coatings. the plain white coating works ok for reflecting the sun, although there are other products that have insulation values. my parents house in ewa beach single wall construction i installed two solar attic fans, coated the roof with the medium grade roof coating (white of course) and the temp in the house mid day dropped 8-12 degrees. then put a pv system and covered the open ceiling area and now the house is pretty comfortable. my parents are very happy!
plus they run the ac less. which i question cause thats why i put the pv system on was so they could run the ac longer?
Old school.
4/28/13 5:25 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trade winds IMO Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 9:22 PM
conviser

Looks like my folks will be doing 1-2 solar fans (per the recs above); maybe the white roof coating (IF they can get over the look, which is UGLY to them); and a big casement window with sun-blocking panels (getting rid of their old-school picture window in the process).

Seriously, you guys have some great info. Thanks again!

5/19/13 1:27 AM
TheAlchemist
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just installed a solar attic fan, immediate results. House is definitely cooler in the afternoon.

Hopefully, I did it right and there will be no leaks. *crosses fingers*

5/19/13 11:18 AM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
4271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Redneck AC.... Large cooler filled with ice and a fan pointed right at the ice!! Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.