UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> can we admit there is an early stoppage epidemic?

4/28/13 12:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soremano
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and it's killing the sport

I don't wanna see a fight stopped the second somebody falls down from a shot or eats a couple of elbows on the ground and gets up a second later perfectly fine, or fight stopped becase of a minor eye poke or a dislocated finger

I always catch flack for saying there are too many early stoppages but today's card really exemplified the issue

4/28/13 12:51 AM
i remember halloween

You are right about that.  The guy with the dislocated thumb was legit because he clearly didn't want to keep fighting despite his lame post fight protest.  He otherwise wouldn't have stopped to show his broken thumb to the ref.  The Kevin Mulhall abortion was about the worst display of reffing I have ever seen in my life though.

4/28/13 12:54 AM
soremano

nelson/kongo and jones/sonnen were stopped way too early. and you are certain to see a couple of early stoppages on almost every card in modern mma, it just really ruins the experience

they are fighters

let them fight

4/28/13 12:55 AM
Herecomesthejester
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soremano -

nelson/kongo and jones/sonnen were stopped way too early. and you are certain to see a couple of early stoppages on almost every card in modern mma, it just really ruins the experience

they are fighters

let them fight

Kongo was out cold man.

Sonnen was getting blasted.

Both were legit stoppages. Phone Post
4/28/13 1:06 AM
bemsqua
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no consistency with the early stoppages. Sonnen was in trouble, but he was defending himself. A lot of those shots were hitting his arms. It was still early in the fight. Not saying it would have made a difference, but this is a main event fight. Why Herb Dean wasn't in charge....is ridiculous. Brock Lesnar definetly got some rope in his fights (Carwin and Cain). Just because a guy on top is flailing away, that doesn't mean it should be stopped.....IF the guy is defending himself. If the guy isn't defending, then it's an easy call. Realistic, if covering you're face with your arms is not defending yourself, than what is? It's not like any fighter in that position can just jump up. You have to weather the storm and hope the guy tires or the bell rings.
4/28/13 1:12 AM
PlayerHatersBall

They shouldn't be stopped until one is out cold and taking shots without responding at all (preferably as soon as possible once it reaches that point) but the majority of these refs suck too much balls to make an accurate judgement call. There has to be a standard. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 1:18 AM
gusto

sonnen giving that clear eyed of a post fight interview means the fight was stopped early
4/28/13 1:26 AM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen was stopped early. Kongo was out cold, face down, totally limp. That was definitely a good stoppage.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.