UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> why you need to train for unarmed knife combat

4/28/13 1:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FCTV808
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dang
4/28/13 3:57 AM
FCTV808
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it IS a serious subject and causes me paranoia daily.

i wish we could carry open and walk around in the low ready. (w/ bayonet)

profit?

4/28/13 4:00 AM
Robobear
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thing "we" got a plan and practice right? Also unrelated to hand to hand tactics is stance directed fire. Basically point and shoot.  Research shows that 90% of police shootings happen within 3 to 5 yards. Not much time to sight in a target, just gotta stand and shoot right out of the holster.

4/28/13 4:05 AM
FCTV808

"i'm your huckleberry" style?

4/28/13 4:13 AM
JIMMYNAKS
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - this is called the 21' rule or Tueller Drill. been well known in LE circles since 1982

in general, it's still a valid guide. but there are a lot of variables that could make even 21' too close:

the closing speed of the knife-wielding adversary

the speed at which you're able to perceive this threat

your ability to access your firearm under stress

your ability to score effective hits in a very short span of time while under stress

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the gist. again, this rule is still valid for police officers and lawfully armed citizen

in Hawaii, the problem is, will you be armed if/when this situation happens to you. FCTV is correct when he said that you need to train unarmed knife defense (and impact weapon, close-quarters firearms, and multiple attacker defense). just keep in mind that if you do not have to stand your ground (e.g. to protect your family, etc.), your best option may be to run, or a combination of combatives (to thwart the initial attack) and footwork (to avoid the attack and flee the area). unlike facing a firearm, creating distance is your friend in knife defense

I'm sure I'm not offering anything ground breaking to anyone out there, just my .02 on a serious subject
BEST advice regarding this subject..... IMO.

"Action is faster than reaction" is something drilled into my little peanut head. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 4:32 AM
Robobear
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exactly FCTV, exactly.  

Funny, you knw who are the most accurate quick draw shooters? Outlaw bikers. Scary fast and accurate.

4/28/13 5:48 AM
FCTV808

lol c u tomorrow for some 110yard chicken shooting from a snubby!

4/28/13 4:31 PM
Moke
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Action is faster than reaction" is something drilled into my little peanut head

There is nothing little about your head.
4/29/13 4:18 AM
Robobear

Moke - 
"Action is faster than reaction" is something drilled into my little peanut head

There is nothing little about your head.

Which head?

4/29/13 7:56 PM
JIMMYNAKS
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like to think my small head makes me a smaller target when getting punched. This thinking has been proven wrong on several occasions. On both heads. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 8:42 AM
MOB U2
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last time I was in the Phil, I was staying at my cousin's cousin house in Manila. He was a street cop. There were multiple ice pick and knife dents in his armor, and other holes that I believe were bullets that never went through. Obviously, edged weapons defense was an everyday reality.

My old prof worked at two universities. When I was there for study abroad, he had gotten robbed twice, but he said it was common for him to be robbed often - one of the universities was in a bad place and he got off every night at 10pm. He told me guys just would just come out of nowhere, sling an arm around you nonchalantly with a balisong at your throat, pick whatever the hell they wanted and just walk of into the night.

I guess one night he fought one of them off and ran home. They must've followed him and remembered where he lived. Two weeks later, the day before Halloween in 2004, his rotting corpse was found in his apt. Shit deal, cause he was slated to come to Hawaii to teach in a month.

I have other knife stories but I'm kinda drunk right now and don't wanna bother thinking too hard about it.
5/10/13 1:21 PM
FCTV808

makes me wanna train more knife.

and carry a sword.

5/10/13 5:09 PM
Robobear

FCTV808 - 

makes me wanna train more knife.

and carry a sword.

Me too. A cold steel one.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.