UnderGround Forums

VIDEO THREADS >> Sonnen, 36, contemplating retirement

4/28/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Everyone thought that if Chael Sonnen had a chance Saturday night, it was through aggressive, relentless wrestling. As it turns out, he didn't have a chance. Now, 16 years since his first professional MMA fight, Sonnen is thinking about a future besides, not in the cage.

Case Keefer of the Las Vegas Sun has the details.

“I don’t think I’ve been taken down three times in my career,” said Chael Sonnen. “He took me down three times in one round.”

Chael Sonnen admitted Jones embarrassed him with his performance at the Prudential Center. Despite a badly broken toe, Jones finished Sonnen with unrelenting ground-and-pound strikes 4:33 into the first round.

The loss left Sonnen contemplating retirement. While the 36-year-old doesn’t plan to reach a final decision on his future for a while, he said he was only in the UFC to chase a championship.

And Sonnen thinks that’s no longer possible after falling to 0-3 in title shots with the loss to Jones.

"I’ve had a lot of fights not go my way," said Sonnen. "But I’ve only been beat up twice, and that was No. 2. And he beat me at my own game.”

“I like to fight, but I love this business, and there are so many opportunities that are out there that weren’t here a few years ago. And broadcasting is one of them.”

Sonnen is a staple on virtually all of the Fox-produced UFC content. UFC President Dana White said last week that the network television channel wanted to use Sonnen in an expanded role, so it’s not like he’d enter retirement with nothing to occupy his energy.

Read entire article...

4/28/13 10:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brigham
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is an awesome fighter but he's an even better broadcaster. And from the little we saw on TUF, coaching should definitely be a priority of his as well. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 10:31 AM
Entreri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael has a lot of opportunities outside MMA.

He has faced the two best fighters in MMA, there is nobody else to fight.
4/28/13 10:32 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Chael, whatever you do, cheers. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 10:33 AM
jasonhightower
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - Chael is an awesome fighter but he's an even better broadcaster. And from the little we saw on TUF, coaching should definitely be a priority of his as well. Phone Post 3.0

I was actually shocked to hear him say in a recent interview that he wouldn't get into coaching (I think).  So it seems he's leaning toward the TV aspect, which he'll be great.  But he was a fantastic coach and I'd like to think he could do both, even if it's coaching part time and with kids.

4/28/13 10:41 AM
bakobell

Mma money < tv money

Its obvious he's better at talking than fighting. less brain damage. Win! Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 10:45 AM
Gerbacio
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael has Big Cojones! fought the best won most lost some! hes a exellent broadcaster and a exelent coach!

hes a stud and got nothing to prove! ...wife is super hot...he has money and a future outside of fighting! i would do it....he has no brain dmg hasnt been brutally stopped ! why not quit while you are ahead and enjoy your life ??

nothing but respect for the Gangster!

4/28/13 10:57 AM
ParadigmRaep
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Chael.
4/28/13 11:02 AM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he doesn't retire. So he couldn't beat two GOAT's Jones or Anderson? That's nothing to be ashamed of. He's still one of the greatest and most entertaining fighters in the world today. He could take a step back and fight a few guys ranked in the top 10 and there would be nothing wrong with that.
4/28/13 11:28 AM
kelby

I love chael. He was a very good fighter. I always thought he was the one who was gonna beat everyone in the UFC when he was fighting for bodog and wec. But, fighting takes its toll on the body. He is a very good commentator. they should put him and joe together for commetary.
4/28/13 12:03 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hat is off Phone Post
4/28/13 12:21 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

won't be missed.. so fucking tired of hearing this guy talk

4/28/13 12:24 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 04/28/13 12:24 PM
he's got a lot more to be ashamed of than that. he's been a disgrace in every career path he's tried, and failed at all of them.

politics: had to pull out of a race because his criminal activity was catching up to him

Real estate: convicted of felony and had his license stripped

MMA: failed at every attempt of the fights he was gifted, and even disgraced that by cheating.

He'll find a way to disgrace himself in broadcasting too. he's done it with everything else. It's actually the only thing he's consistent at.
4/28/13 12:24 PM
T Bag

Humphrey - he's got a lot more to be ashamed of than that. he's been a disgrace in every career path he's tried, and failed at all of them.

politics: had to pull out of a race because his criminal activity was catching up to him

MMA: failed at every attempt of the fights he was gifted, and even disgraced that by cheating.

He'll find a way to disgrace himself in broadcasting too. he's done it with everything else.

LOL
4/28/13 12:34 PM
garrote
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle - Chael, whatever you do, cheers. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 12:38 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best if luck to Chael!!!
Broadcasting is the obvious choice.
Dana says Fox loves him! Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 1:29 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

KingofBJJ - 
Masakyst - I hope he doesn't retire. So he couldn't beat two GOAT's Jones or Anderson? That's nothing to be ashamed of. He's still one of the greatest and most entertaining fighters in the world today. He could take a step back and fight a few guys ranked in the top 10 and there would be nothing wrong with that.

He has plenty to be ashamed of: first he talks smack and fails to deliver. Second, he was given a shot he didn't deserve. Finally, he was stopped in all three bouts.
I agree that he should leave, but if he stays on he needs to beat people other than Bisbing or Marqaurdt.

You're a pathetic loser.
4/28/13 1:31 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Chael Sonnen. All in all, the sport of MMA is very fortunate to have him.

4/28/13 4:59 PM
stonepony

inf0 - 

won't be missed.. so fucking tired of hearing this guy talk

If he retires, all he will be doing is talk. But yeah, smart fans will appreciate the loss when he retires.
4/28/13 5:11 PM
EKPOGI
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he does WWE just for a little bit
4/28/13 5:14 PM
Jons Forsberg

Humphrey - he's got a lot more to be ashamed of than that. he's been a disgrace in every career path he's tried, and failed at all of them.

He'll find a way to disgrace himself in broadcasting too. he's done it with everything else. It's actually the only thing he's consistent at.

that sums it up.
4/29/13 9:52 AM
JustAnotherMMAFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is 7-6 in the UFC, not counting an "iffy" victory over Michael Bisping, in which case he would actually be 6-7.

Hardly, hall of fame material.

He talked his way into three undeserved title shots, and only performed well in one of them, when he was busted for steroids and his opponent had a cracked rib.

I think he is better as an entertainer. Wish him luck.
4/29/13 9:55 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaels awesome and will be successful at whatever he decides to do. Had a ton of fun following his career and will be a fan for life. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.