UnderGround Forums

VIDEO THREADS >> Glove redesign no solution to eye pokes

4/28/13 11:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“We’ve done four fights in the last four weeks all over the country, all over the world,” said UFC president Dana White.  “I always say every weekend you put on a fight, it’s not going to be the greatest show you’ve ever done.  These guys came out, they fought hard tonight.  Yeah, it was a weird night.”

It was weird when Alan Belcher's foot wraps were cut off by officials as his name was being announced. The removal of the wraps was resumably at the direction of Michael Bisping (in NJ, use of ankle wraps is at discretion of opponent).

The demonic noises that popped up a couple of times was really weird:

And then there were the injuries.

Yancy Medeiros thumb dislocated.

Jon Jones toe turned upside down in the main event. If a ref had spotted the toe (Joe Rogan noticed it first), the fight could have ended in the first round, with a new light heavyweight champion.

Ovince St. Preux poked Gian Villante's eye, and referee Kevin Mulhall deteremined it was accidental so it went to the score cards, where St. Preux won a majority decision.

"I didn't feel like I poked him," said St. Preux afterwards. "I got poked too."

Michael Bisping's accidental eye poke of Alan Belcher stopped the fight, sending it to the cards and sending Belcher to the hospital. Again, the offending fighter won a decision.

Alan Belcher has twice had surgery to repair a detached retina in his right eye.

Some have called for a redesign of the MMA gloves to prevent eye injuries, but it can't be done. No glove that allows grabbing can be designed so that eye pokes are impossible, and no glove can be used in MMA that prevents grabblng.

At the post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was asked about a different glove.

"Like what, put finger tips on them?" asked White. "I don't know. Let's say we had gloves with fingers on them, you could still poke people in the eyes with them. In boxing back in the 70's people used to get thumbed in the eye all the time."

The responsibility for eye pokes lies not with the glove design, it lies with the fighter poking the other fighter in the eye.

There may need to be a refinement of the definition under the Unified Rules of what constitutes an eye poke. If you try to strike a fighter, and your fingers drive into his eye, regardless of whether you consciously tried to gouge his eye or not, it may be determined that you gouged the eye, and forfeit the bout. Fighters have responsibilites in the ring, and one of them is to not gouge the other fighter's eye, whether you mean to or not.

The weird night is starting tor resolve.

Jones got his toe back intact.

Belcher got stitches, but apparently suffered no lasting damage.

"I'm ok.. Just got back from e.r. 8 stitches in eyelid," tweeted Belcher. "Disappointed. To my real supporters, I'm sorry, thank you once again."

And while the glove issue may take a while to resolve, at least the satanic voice issue may be solved.

I now realize what the demon voices were last night:

This just came clear into my mind.. There were some losers (chains and piercings all over kind of shit) sitting up in section 8 right above an entrance tunnel. I noticed there was a microhone there and it was been duct taped up. A little while later i saw those morons playing with the microphone on the pole. They were tapping on it and talking into it. Shortly after that, security had came over and moved the group as well as duct taped the microphone back to the railings. Honestly that had to be that.. Especially if the noises stopped 3/4s into main.

4/28/13 11:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheParrot
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theyd need a replay to determine whether it was a finger or not.  

4/28/13 11:17 AM
Brigham
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't remember Pride having as many eye poke issues... Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 11:21 AM
JOESONDO
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disagree. Why not commission a company to come up with a design rather than saying it absolutely can't be done? Most times the referee doesn't even see the eye poke to give the fighter break, how is he supposed to penalize him? Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 11:23 AM
buvaiser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that bisping gif is a bit dodgy. why is he throwing a hook with fingers open but not in an orientation for a slap or open handed strike? not even within range for the palm to connect. looks intentional to me.
4/28/13 11:31 AM
Caught_clean
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - I don't remember Pride having as many eye poke issues... Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post
4/28/13 11:32 AM
mikerobmma
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buvaiser - that bisping gif is a bit dodgy. why is he throwing a hook with fingers open but not in an orientation for a slap or open handed strike? not even within range for the palm to connect. looks intentional to me.
Yeah. Definitely couldn't have made it the last 30 seconds to win the decision. You figured it all out bro. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 11:33 AM
Virginio

What a pointless and lame article (I usually try not to bash the articles here)

We put a man on the fucking moon. I think we can design a glove that is functional and at least a little safer. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 11:35 AM
Andersons_Chin
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spell check Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 11:52 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
The Referee's need to inform the fighters in the Rules meetings about pawing out with their fingers. They also need more vocal warnings and point deductions for said infractions. When a foul is committed the Ref needs to communicate better with the fighter whose eye just got poked. Mulhall should've brought in the Dr. before stopping it so haste fully.
4/28/13 12:11 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Virginio - What a pointless and lame article (I usually try not to bash the articles here)

We put a man on the fucking moon. I think we can design a glove that is functional and at least a little safer. Phone Post 3.0

cue Jerry Seinfeld man on the moon bit....

4/28/13 12:12 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whambo - 
Virginio - What a pointless and lame article (I usually try not to bash the articles here)

cue Jerry Seinfeld man on the moon bit....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHngY3iJBCo
4/28/13 12:18 PM
MountainMedic
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it can be done across 4 fingers, like some training gloves. Thumbs will still happen. Phone Post
4/28/13 12:19 PM
Shatcore

What idiot wrote this article. Look at the Pride gloves - http://mmaknockouts.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/pride-mma-gloves-500px.jpg
4/28/13 12:47 PM
Remorse
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic -  I think it can be done across 4 fingers, like some training gloves. Thumbs will still happen. Phone Post

4/28/13 12:53 PM
ranier wolfcastle
672 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goggles

4/28/13 12:57 PM
TheGreatGodMARS
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alna belcher?????? Phone Post
4/28/13 1:05 PM
HexRei

buvaiser - that bisping gif is a bit dodgy. why is he throwing a hook with fingers open but not in an orientation for a slap or open handed strike? not even within range for the palm to connect. looks intentional to me.

I thought it was kind of a push/slap/distraction for the right he threw immediately following.
4/28/13 1:05 PM
Arse Face
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters like Daron Cruickshank and Josh Koscheck need to learn how to throw a jab properly.

4/28/13 1:06 PM
HexRei

Shatcore - What idiot wrote this article. Look at the Pride gloves - http://mmaknockouts.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/pride-mma-gloves-500px.jpg

THumbs to the eye are still the most common bad eye poke and that glove does nothing to stop them.
4/28/13 1:25 PM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - I think it can be done across 4 fingers, like some training gloves. Thumbs will still happen. Phone Post
Right. Keep all of the fingers in a single pocket, like a mitten or bag glove.

You don't use individual fingers when you grapple anyway. It would just have to be flexible and thin enough to grapple.

This wouldn't solve all the eye poke problems, but I'd expect it would help. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/13 1:50 PM
buvaiser

mikerobmma - 
buvaiser - that bisping gif is a bit dodgy. why is he throwing a hook with fingers open but not in an orientation for a slap or open handed strike? not even within range for the palm to connect. looks intentional to me.
Yeah. Definitely couldn't have made it the last 30 seconds to win the decision. You figured it all out bro. Phone Post 3.0

i don't think he was trying to get out of the fight, just some payback for something done earlier. who knows why? i just think it looks really suspicious.
4/28/13 2:34 PM
SKARHEAD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - I don't remember Pride having as many eye poke issues... Phone Post 3.0

That's because they were too busy fighting and trying to put on a show....as opposed to slap boxing and playing it safe for the "W" to keep their jobs.
4/28/13 2:35 PM
OblongBox

Blue please:

http://www.amazon.com/Darkfin-Webbed-Power-Gloves-L/dp/B00AHHKY2U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367173848&sr=8-4&keywords=Webbed+Gloves

Something based on this would be cool
4/28/13 2:44 PM
smoogy
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was accidental about the Bisping eyepoke? He jammed his wide open hand right in his eye

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.