UnderGround Forums

VIDEO THREADS >> Jones: Anderson Silva #1 P4P

4/29/13 12:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Fans argue about whether the best pound for pound fighter in the sport is featherweight champion José Aldo, welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, middleweight champion Anderson Silva, or light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. However, Jon Jones says the best fighter in MMA is Anderson Silva, as he detailed at the UFC 159 post-fight press conference.

Jones was asked directly if he was the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA.

“No,” Jones explained.

“That would be extremely disrespectful of me to try to disregard what Anderson has done outside of the Octagon and inside of the Octagon."

“I celebrated my two-year anniversary of being champion this year, and Anderson has been doing it for about six. That’s phenomenal. That’s phenomenal pressure that he’s been able to uphold and continue moving forward with it, so I admire him so much."

“Yes, I’ve had some great fights, and I’ve had a great career, but Anderson is still an amazing guy.  He’s still my idol and I’m not going to disregard what he’s done.”

Is Jones right? Or is he the best P4P fighter in the sport, and modesst to boot. Or is there a third figure you think is the ultimate ultimate fighter?

Or is the whole P4P thing so dumb it shouldn't even be talked about (except of course to say it shouldn't be talked about :-)?

Transcription courtesy of MMAWeekly

4/29/13 12:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Josh_underground
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hm. I actually like Jones again for this comment. Phone Post
4/29/13 12:04 PM
savage043
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humble comment from jones? Plus 1 for him but he's still n the negative in my book. Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 12:08 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comments like that from jbj make my hatred for him calm a bit. Jon is an incredible fighter no doubt. The man is a wrecking machine. Im not sure there's anything he could do to make me a fan. He needs to stay humble for sure. That's one thing that makes me such a fan of Silva. That guy is always heaping praise on others.
Jon really needs to start thinking about his perception among fans. He needs to stop acting like a child (his interview with Chael on Fox) and acting like what he is. The UFC lhw world champion.

My $.02 Phone Post
4/29/13 12:12 PM
DudShuTFKUP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok,can we stop with the Goat argument now?1-Anderson 2-GSP 3-bones. Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 12:16 PM
Josh_underground
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thug Life -
Josh_underground -  Hm. I actually like Jones again for this comment. Phone Post

These kinds of comments are proof a lot of MMA fans are fair-weather weasels who are easily gotten to and led around like sheep.
Because I appreciate what he said?
I never said I didn't like his fighting style.
But I don't like the way he talks outside of the cage usually, so I'm happy to see a respectful comment out of him.
But let me use a better rebuttal.
Fuck you buddy. Phone Post
4/29/13 12:19 PM
ABE FROMAN

Why does Jones need to stay humble and Chael can claim the greatest fighter ever even in losses? 

Oh I remember, it's an act. As long as it's an act he can say whatever he wants.

Can Jones 'act' too are does he just have to stay humble?

4/29/13 12:21 PM
Bucephalus

"I celebrated my two-year anniversary of being champion this year, and Anderson has been doing it for about six.

Actually, when he fights Weidman in July it will be about seven years.
4/29/13 12:23 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 12:25 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one had Been able to duplicate what Anderson had done up to this point. Anderson is the standard to be measured against imho Phone Post
4/29/13 2:10 PM
Voiceinthedesert

Neither Jones nor Silva can make that claim. Georges St-Pierre is still above those guys. But Jones is getting closer.

- strength of competition
- sheer dominance. Other than 2 mental lapses in his career, GSP has dominated nearly every minute of his fights from day one.
- GSP has been dominant since 2002.
- GSP has clowned 5 top 10 p4p fighters

Can either Jones or Silva make the same claim?
4/29/13 2:17 PM
chaplinshouse
778 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voiceinthedesert - Neither Jones nor Silva can make that claim. Georges St-Pierre is still above those guys. But Jones is getting closer.

- sheer dominance. Other than 2 mental lapses in his career, GSP has dominated nearly every minute of his fights from day one.

while strength of competition is a vitally important category, so is finishing fights.  gsp is a point fighter and no point fighter should ever be in goat talks.  

4/29/13 2:27 PM
Voiceinthedesert

chaplinshouse - 
Voiceinthedesert - Neither Jones nor Silva can make that claim. Georges St-Pierre is still above those guys. But Jones is getting closer.

while strength of competition is a vitally important category, so is finishing fights.  gsp is a point fighter and no point fighter should ever be in goat talks.  

According to you, Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquio should not even be near a top 10 list. Hmmmm...
4/29/13 2:38 PM
GarlicSauce

Is there any doubt about? Silva's the greatest MMA fighter ever.
4/29/13 2:39 PM
Entreri

GOAT candidate list so far:

Silva, GSP, Jones and Fedor.

While GSP has faced the toughest competition (WW being the most stacked division), his inability to finish his opponents drops him at least 1 place.
4/29/13 2:54 PM
eljamaiquino

Voiceinthedesert - Neither Jones nor Silva can make that claim. Georges St-Pierre is still above those guys. But Jones is getting closer.

Gsp lost his belt while Silva was champ. There have been 2 Ww champs and 2 interim Ww champs during Silva's reign. He's still champ. Most title defenses, most title finishes, most consecutive wins. You're dreaming if you think GSP is above Silva at this point. Phone Post
4/29/13 3:31 PM
SQUEEZIE

GarlicSauce - Is there any doubt about? Silva's the greatest MMA fighter ever.

if there was no doubt about it we wouldnt be having this discussion.

because imo jbj puts andy away...yesterday,today or tomar...with in 3.
4/29/13 4:11 PM
GarlicSauce

Edited: 04/29/13 4:12 PM
4/29/13 4:13 PM
GarlicSauce

SQUEEZIE - 

Jones has not been tested by time, like Silva. Anderson is almost 40 and he's still crushing the competition, and many times fighting guys bigger than he is. Undefeated in the UFC. When Jones pushes 40 and he's still undefeated and finishing guys left and right, then we can compare him to Silva.
4/29/13 4:30 PM
SQUEEZIE

GarlicSauce - 
SQUEEZIE - 

Jones has not been tested by time, like Silva. Anderson is almost 40 and he's still crushing the competition, and many times fighting guys bigger than he is. Undefeated in the UFC. When Jones pushes 40 and he's still undefeated and finishing guys left and right, then we can compare him to Silva.

im talking bout p4p rt now.if they would have fought any time with in the last year jbj would have beat him.if they fight after the chris fight jbj will beat him...so imo he is the best p4p fighter today.

you can talk about streaks and records and all the other shit you want to.but if they were to fight.jbj would win and that makes him better to me at the moment until andy shows me different.
4/29/13 4:37 PM
SQUEEZIE

if gsp fought andy and won or even lost a very close split decision i would consider gsp the p4p best.just how i see it...same goes for andy.if he lost a close split decision type fight to bones i would consider him the p4p best

but not only do i think bones would stop him with in 3...i think chris can beat him as well. im just a stupid 12er tho so just let me 12 and dont stress on me.
4/29/13 6:29 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another week, another discussion about the P4P best.

It was the same answer last week, the week before and the week before that, and before that, and before that.

Anderson.

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.