UnderGround Forums

VIDEO THREADS >> Jackson: Jones move to hwt will be 'fun'

4/29/13 3:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When Alexander the Great saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

UFC light heavyweight champion is rapidly tearing through the challengers, and is growing; a move to heavyweight is inevitable.

He will get there with the help of his coaches at Jackson's MMA, who say will be a fun challenge.

"If he wants to do that, then I’ll help him out," said Greg Jackson on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I've always said that it’s up to fighters and the management. Then it’s my job to figure out how we’re going to do that. If that's the parameters they want to give, that's what I do. And I actually enjoy that. Anything different is good.

"I've said before, I like to watch scary movies like with monsters, not because I like to get scared at all, but because I like to figure out what are the parameters. If you're fighting a ghost, can the ghost hurt you? Can you hurt the ghost? I really enjoy that, like figuring out what the rules are of the game and then how to win when we have these rules. If they give me parameters or opponents or whatever, that’s the fun part for me. The picking and the choosing of them? Not nearly as fun, and not really my job. I just like to break down the puzzles in front of me."

"As long as we have enough time to prepare, we're going to have to fight them all anyway. We're going to have to fight Machida again, we're going to have to fight Gustafsson, whoever else they put in front of us. It’s just a matter of who’s next. But I never want to be like, 'Avoid this guy' or 'fight this guy.' When you’re the champion, you really have to take on. That's part of what being champion is; whoever they say you have to fight, you have to fight.

"People might not think that makes sense because we said we don't want to take a new fight on short notice. That's a whole different animal. It's not that we were avoiding the opponent, we were avoiding the situation. We wanted to make sure we were well-prepared. This is a world title in a sport that I think is the best in the world by far, and I want to take that seriously."

The if seems to be settled, and the next questions are who and when. When do you think Jones will move up, and who might he fight?

Transcription by MMAFighting.

4/29/13 4:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting.... I wonder how big Jones would be at heavyweight. If he will pack on muscle or just not cut.
4/29/13 4:07 PM
jdindiana
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I really enjoy that, like figuring out what the rules are of the game and then how to win when we have these rules"

We know..... Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 4:07 PM
GarlicSauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait to see Jones against Overeem, Cain, dos Santos and the rest of the HWs. Should be fun indeed.
4/29/13 4:08 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jdindiana - "I really enjoy that, like figuring out what the rules are of the game and then how to win when we have these rules"

We know..... Phone Post 3.0

lol
4/29/13 4:09 PM
Jaybrone
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO the longer he takes to move up the more and more likely his first fight at HW is the champ. If he moved up now he could take a warm up fight and it wouldn't be a big deal. If he waits another year its going to be a superfight and a tougher challenge.

4/29/13 4:37 PM
Entreri

Jones will be wrecking HW's soon and then I would love hearing the excuses.

GOAT LHW, soon to be GOAT HW.
4/29/13 4:41 PM
Allucard

Jaybrone - 

IMO the longer he takes to move up the more and more likely his first fight at HW is the champ. If he moved up now he could take a warm up fight and it wouldn't be a big deal. If he waits another year its going to be a superfight and a tougher challenge.

He's fighting the champion regardless.
4/29/13 4:42 PM
SQUEEZIE

in b4 he's a...to late never mind.
Allucard

w9 - Finally Jones admits he is a HW.

He's not. There are bigger LHW out there, did you know that? Is Gustaffson an heavyweight too? Silly.
robnashville
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones said last week in an ESPN chat that if he moved up it wouldn't be a permanent thing.... his foray into HW will be something like anderson's bouts at LHW..carefully orchestrated and largely devoid of any meaningful competition... Anderson had his big fight at lHW against a chinny former champ in Forrest...the equivalent for JBJ would be a bout with chinny former HWT champ Frank Mir, with Frank's mouth being an added bonus in selling the fight.. he'll take a few fights at LHW for the same reason Anderson took LHW bouts.. to give the illusion that it adds something to their legacy, when in actuality it really adds nothing...
4/29/13 4:43 PM
Allucard

When Jones smashes the HW division we'll be hearing "lol that's the weakest division anyway"
4/29/13 4:44 PM
Allucard

robnashville - Jones said last week in an ESPN chat that if he moved up it wouldn't be a permanent thing.... his foray into HW will be something like anderson's bouts at LHW..carefully orchestrated and largely devoid of any meaningful competition... Anderson had his big fight at lHW against a chinny former champ in Forrest...the equivalent for JBJ would be a bout with chinny former HWT champ Frank Mir, with Frank's mouth being an added bonus in selling the fight.. he'll take a few fights at LHW for the same reason Anderson took LHW bouts.. to give the illusion that it adds something to their legacy, when in actuality it really adds nothing...

So isn't everyone doing that? GSP isn't in a hurry is he. I bet you are a big fan.
4/29/13 4:50 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1023 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brock would destroy him Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 4:50 PM
robnashville
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allucard - 
robnashville - Jones said last week in an ESPN chat that if he moved up it wouldn't be a permanent thing.... his foray into HW will be something like anderson's bouts at LHW..carefully orchestrated and largely devoid of any meaningful competition... Anderson had his big fight at lHW against a chinny former champ in Forrest...the equivalent for JBJ would be a bout with chinny former HWT champ Frank Mir, with Frank's mouth being an added bonus in selling the fight.. he'll take a few fights at LHW for the same reason Anderson took LHW bouts.. to give the illusion that it adds something to their legacy, when in actuality it really adds nothing...

So isn't everyone doing that? GSP isn't in a hurry is he. I bet you are a big fan.

not really a big fan of any of the big 3 (andy, GSP, bones) doing this....
4/29/13 4:59 PM
sacredhate
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allucard - When Jones smashes the HW division we'll be hearing "lol that's the weakest division anyway"

it's certainly close.

roster one of the smallest.
smallest number of title matches.

since Oct 2010 only 4 fighters have been involved in UFC HW title matches.

4/29/13 5:08 PM
cheesesteak
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once he starts traneing leggs again he will be the biggest heavyweight ever!
4/29/13 5:12 PM
Frankie Emelianenko

He mentioned he was at 225 when chael was walking around at 240 durin TUF shooting so he's probably comfortable at that weight but might not be as thick and solid as his HW peers. Guess its a balance of speed and muscle he's got to worry about; oh and throw big man Cain into the mix Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 6:03 PM
DaddyRich
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long do you think it would be before Jones fought at Heavy? He will probably fight Gustaffson and Machida so he may be busy until the 1st of next year. After that how long will it take him to put on good size and be comfortable with it, 6-9 months? He may not fight heavyweight until late 2014 or even 2015 if that's the case and the landscape could be vastly different than what we're seeing now.
4/29/13 6:10 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
512 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones could go over and kill guys like pat Barry, schaub, etc right now. I'm more interested to see how he fares against guys like Nelson, Good Guy JDS, Cain, DC, Reem Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 6:17 PM
stonepony

GarlicSauce - Can't wait to see Jones against Overeem, Cain, dos Santos and the rest of the HWs. Should be fun indeed.

He's not going to fight Overeem. Overeem will be cut before they could have a chance to meet. If JBJ came in to the HW division tomorrow, they would already be too far separated to warrant the match-up. Jones would fight a credible top contender.
4/29/13 6:19 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope it happens.

4/29/13 6:31 PM
robnashville

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Devoid of competition?  Pretty sure in that same interview he mentioned Cain as his preferred opponent.

he said he would fight someone in the top 10... not sure if he mentioned cain...but i have a hard time believing that the JBJ that said he wouldn't fight Anderson because they both have legacies and big endorsements to protect is gonna belly up to the bar and fight the belt holder at HW...
4/29/13 6:41 PM
Aleck911
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

w9 - Finally Jones admits he is a HW.
This was an interview with Greg Jackson

Jones didn't say anything

He's a LHW
Accept it already
Has he ever not made weight? Phone Post 3.0
4/29/13 6:56 PM
stonepony

Aleck911 - 
w9 - Finally Jones admits he is a HW.
This was an interview with Greg Jackson

Jones didn't say anything

He's a LHW
Accept it already
Has he ever not made weight? Phone Post 3.0

Some people just aren't bright enough to understand the concept of weight classes. Apparently he thinks the divisions should be according to height and reach class.

Making DC a welterweight.
*derp*

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.