UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC wants "knees to grounded opponent" rule change

4/29/13 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/ufcs-marc-ratner-to-request-changes-to-unified-rules-at-abcs-summer-convention

Ratner also hopes to petition the ABC to reexamine the definition of a "grounded opponent" in relation to the protection it gives a fighter against absorbing both kicks and knees to the head.

Currently, the Unified Rules define a grounded opponent as "any fighter who has more than the just the soles of their feet on the ground (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter)." In recent years, this has led to fighters placing a hand on the mat to qualify for the extra protection offered a grounded opponent.

Ratner and White both believe such an approach undermines the spirit of the rule.

"We really believe this 'three-point stance rule,' where a fighter is just placing his hand on and off the mat so he won't get hit, needs to be addressed," Ratner said. "That's not what the rule is for. That has to be looked at."

Ratner said UFC officials hope to draw up proposed language that more clearly defines what should constitute a grounded fighter. The resulting proposal will be presented to the ABC this summer.

"I'm going to work with our attorneys on the language," Ratner said. "If you're going against the intent of the rule, and that's what's being done with some fighters, then we've got to change it. I'm going to get the right verbiage for it. That one is one that's come into play recently in the past couple years that needs to be changed."

If the ABC elects to make the revisions, member commissions would then follow suit. Ratner believes the process could be handled with relative ease and thinks it's important everyone involved in MMA is continuously looking at opportunities to improve the sport.

"We look at all these things," Ratner said. "We try to learn from experience and make the sport better."
4/30/13 12:00 AM
Zanzoken
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how about they just get rid of the rule altogether and allow them, along with soccer kicks
4/30/13 12:02 AM
RyannVonDoom

They should just allow them in any position. But I'm glad they are finally starting to turn against the existing rule. 

4/30/13 12:03 AM
slamming

Zanzoken - how about they just get rid of the rule altogether and allow them, along with soccer kicks

That's never going to happen.

Just be glad they are trying to fix a rule that is being exploited.
4/30/13 12:29 AM
Kimura606
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its definition issue. If you are going to a 3pt stance to avoid damage you are playing the game. The rule should be if the natural progression of an offensive or defensive movement results in a grounded(3pt) stance no knees or kicks. If you are making yourself grounded to avoid action you should be penalized for stalling(minor) or timidity(major) just my 2c Phone Post
4/30/13 12:50 AM
RickTheRula125

Gay for Gil's el nino -

they should allow upkicks to grounded opponents too, America is too pussifed for allowing soccer kicks, but upkicks, I think they can get that through.

it will make it more difficult for guys to LNP in guard. and give the guys on bottom more of a chance to do damage and not lose bullshit decisions.

Agreed, wow I'm happy that there finally taking some action when it comes to the rules now please just implement a yellow card system! 1 or 2 warnings then 1 point deduction. The sport would be better off. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 12:50 AM
bruised
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear it; it's a stupid loophole. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 12:56 AM
pcuzz

Kimura606 -  I think its definition issue. If you are going to a 3pt stance to avoid damage you are playing the game. The rule should be if the natural progression of an offensive or defensive movement results in a grounded(3pt) stance no knees or kicks. If you are making yourself grounded to avoid action you should be penalized for stalling(minor) or timidity(major) just my 2c Phone Post

I have been at fights where the ref told the fighters he wont allow them to play that game. Of course that was only 1 ref. Even tho I agree I havent really seen many instances where people take advantage of this rule anyway.
4/30/13 12:57 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Phone Post
4/30/13 12:57 AM
GeorgJonesSilva

Good news so does this mean if one guy is on his back with a guy in his guard he could up kick the guy in his guard to the head/face ??? If so that's awesome Phone Post
4/30/13 1:01 AM
c simon
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long overdue Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 1:02 AM
cfv
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow interesting. i'm for it honestly..
4/30/13 1:03 AM
Rahjai
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hope this happens, would make fights more exciting by eliminating the stalling
4/30/13 1:03 AM
Tat2tillidie
365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom -

They should just allow them in any position. But I'm glad they are finally starting to turn against the existing rule. 

Yup Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 1:04 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So happy this problem is being addressed! One very good step forward for MMA.
4/30/13 1:05 AM
Koga

When asked if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were dangerous, Allen Goes replied in slurred Portugese "I like jello, jello good".
4/30/13 1:12 AM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

Bout fucking time. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 1:14 AM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koga - When asked if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were dangerous, Allen Goes replied in slurred Portugese "I like jello, jello good".

he spoke like that before he started fighting
4/30/13 2:07 AM
Non N00B
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soccer kicks and knees to the head on the ground need to come back, but if they arent, at least get rid of the hand on the mat rule, and allow both fighters to kick each other in the face on the ground.
4/30/13 2:34 AM
Strykr619

Edited: 04/30/13 2:35 AM
Get rid of the bs touching the mat with your hand rule.
4/30/13 2:45 AM
MMALOGIC

they need to allow knees on the ground and upkicks to improve the sport.

4/30/13 5:27 AM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You wanna know why they're pursuing this now? It's because they've given up on New York State (this is not necessarily a bad thing and doesn't mean MMA won't come to New York State when they come around to). While they were still expanding, it was not a good time to ask for changes to the Unified Rules, at least ones that could be construed as allowing for more danger.

Now that that is no longer the case, they can target arbitrary things like 12-6 elbows, or close the loophole for fighters exploiting the knees-to-the-head-of-a-grounded-opponent rule. It's probably too soon to try and get rid of knees-to-the-head of a grounded opponent altogether, but athletic commissions are sufficiently educated enough about MMA now that this it's plausible to make the change they're going for.

I believe Ratner has said that requesting clear criteria on how referees deal with eyepokes and similar fouls is also on the table, since currently only low blows have things like an official time-allowance.

4/30/13 5:28 AM
slamming

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 5:31 AM
slamming

Chromium -

You wanna know why they're pursuing this now? It's because they've given up on New York State (this is not necessarily a bad thing and doesn't mean MMA won't come to New York State when they come around to). While they were still expanding, it was not a good time to ask for changes to the Unified Rules, at least ones that could be construed as allowing for more danger.

Now that that is no longer the case, they can target arbitrary things like 12-6 elbows, or close the loophole for fighters exploiting the knees-to-the-head-of-a-grounded-opponent rule. It's probably too soon to try and get rid of knees-to-the-head of a grounded opponent altogether, but athletic commissions are sufficiently educated enough about MMA now that this it's plausible to make the change they're going for.

I believe Ratner has said that requesting clear criteria on how referees deal with eyepokes and similar fouls is also on the table, since currently only low blows have things like an official time-allowance.

Good point, although I would hardly consider 12-6 elbows on your face "arbitrary". That's an eyeball waiting to be crushed. Phone Post 3.0
4/30/13 5:36 AM
sparkuri

c simon - Long overdue Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.