UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor vs. Arlovski: Greatest KO of all time?

4/30/13 6:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
duckhuntgangsta
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/13 6:48 PM
ABE FROMAN - 
duckhuntgangsta - 
ABE FROMAN - 
Edson Barboza's wheel kick KO is one of the best, but is it the best?

I believe you have to look at the context of the KO. In the Fedor fight, Andre, the underdog, was proving to be the superior combatant, getting the best of Fedor in several exchanges. Fedor fans were getting nervous, Fedor haters and Pitbull fans started to believe, then in an instant Fedor catches Arloski in mid-air with his unbeaten streak intact. It was a pretty incredible moment in MMA history.

Comparatively, Genomineerd Voor never had Edson in trouble (not that I can remember) and there wasn't a legacy or championship at stake.

Not to take anything away from Edson, but I think there are different way to look at it.

I guess if you are factoring in the drama aspect you are right. I thought you just meant from 'what's the better KO' aspect.

I would still put most of my picks above it in most cases since they all have a high amount of drama involved.

I think you have to when you're talking about the greatest KO ever. 

You mentioned Andy's KO over Griffin...I'd put that over your first list. I think Andy's KO of Griffin rivals the Fedor KO of Arlovski. Full matrix mode like we've never seen. 

4/30/13 6:48 PM
Wasa-B
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 

Anderson/Forest Griffin

Rampage/Arona

Vitor/Vanderlei

Coleman/Williams

Andy/Forrest for the Matrix shit, nuff said.

Coleman/Williams also for sure, it was truly a shock. Even though Coleman lost to Maurice earlier, Maurice never boomed Coleman during the fight iirc. Williams was one of the first high kick KOs in the UFC esp in a big fight and considering Coleman was still only 1 fight removed from the unbeatable Hammer.

On the HH note, Ranndleman/CC, no explanation necessary.

Lets not forget some of the Shooto and other JMMA KOs: Sakurai knee clinching that black guy where he stood up and then did the fishy fish and back down. Sakurai having a great comeback vs Trigg with hooks and the clinch (though it was a TKO).

Gomi vs Azeredo after having some difficulty with the high flying Azeredo, Gomi clocks him out with the left and another with the right in the same combo for good measure. Gomi's knee on Ralph after Ralph was all tough guy and didnt shake hands at the stare down. Gomi on Ishida.

Hansen's Nordic knee on Imanari and Uno.

Anderson's flying knee on Carlos Newton - Andy truly is the human HL reel, so much that someone like this isnt even really mentioned.

Kid Yamamoto's GNP KOs within guard in Shooto. one of them that infamous one where he put the guy thru the ropes and kept going after the stoppage. Kid's KO of Royler.

Sudo's KO of Royler with the image of him bowing over the fallen Royler.

Wand's 3rd KO of Saku was pretty aesthetically cool the way Sak fell timber
4/30/13 6:49 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cannot consider Anderson Forrest a KO. Even as his biggest sack gobbler here...

4/30/13 6:52 PM
Wasa-B
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No props for Leben/Martin, Smith/Sell?

Also, Machida/Couture was cool but so was the KO over Thiago Silva where he got him first with his leaping left, then with the clean trip and then puts him out cold with the GNP follow up right at the bell.

Shogun/Machida was cool too after the build up from the first fight and the first time Machida was even dropped I think.
4/30/13 6:52 PM
Wasa-B

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I cannot consider Anderson Forrest a KO. Even as his biggest sack gobbler here...

I guess it depends if we're talking clean KOs vs TKOs. Still.....
4/30/13 6:55 PM
Wasa-B

Oh, shit, forgetting about Nate/Maia. That's up there with Fedor/AA in terms of aesthetics.
4/30/13 6:55 PM
RJJH

Fedor Arlovski is 100% the best KO ever in MMA. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was there live and going fucking banana's. out of the many events I have been too, that Punch is what legends are made of.

4/30/13 6:56 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 04/30/13 6:59 PM

I think in the manner the OP is suggesting, it may be the greatest KO of all time.

Not in the "oooooo ahhhhhhh" sense, as there have been many flashier KO's including the ones mentioned already. A list of the best ever just based on brutality and technique is not what the OP is talking about to me.

In context to what the fight was, what it meant, who the fighters were, and in the comeback sense as well. I would 100% put it in the top5 of most monumental KO's in MMA history.

Henderson over Bisping

Fedor over Arlovski

Henderson over Wandy

Anderson vs Vitor

Those are my top 4 and I struggle to put them in order. After that I get fuzzy with Rampage/Arona Wandy/Rampage (knee into ropes), Williams over Coleman?, Lyoto over Rashad, Belfort over Wandy, Randleman over Cro Cop?????

So many important and epic KOs. Hard to place them all perfectly. OP has a good case though.

4/30/13 6:56 PM
Bobby Lupo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

TKO due to embarrassment

4/30/13 6:58 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 04/30/13 6:57 PM
Wasa-B - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I guess it depends if we're talking clean KOs vs TKOs. Still.....

Oh totally man, I know. Those gifs give me goosebumps even after seeing them 3986137856135 times. I jsut think the OP means actual KOs, which still has Andy up there with many of his KOs. Vitor probably being the most monumental or important KO history wise.

4/30/13 7:00 PM
RyannVonDoom

Fedor's KO of Arlovski beats everything posted in this thread so far. The illusion that Arlovski was winning and the dramatic effect of him going for a flying knee while catching that overhand right putting him out cold > everything listed so far. 

4/30/13 7:05 PM
ABE FROMAN
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - No props for Leben/Martin, Smith/Sell?

Also, Machida/Couture was cool but so was the KO over Thiago Silva where he got him first with his leaping left, then with the clean trip and then puts him out cold with the GNP follow up right at the bell.

Shogun/Machida was cool too after the build up from the first fight and the first time Machida was even dropped I think.

Smith/Sell was a fucking shocker, there are def props on that.

Leben/Martin was also a shocker but less dramatic considering the stakes.

4/30/13 7:08 PM
ABE FROMAN

Anybody remember this?

4/30/13 7:33 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ABE FROMAN - 

Anybody remember this?

As far as technique, and brutality, that is epic. Still cannot put any of Anderson's KOs (other than possibly Vitor) as high on the list as Fedor/AA as far as the impact on the sport and epicness in context.

Anderson Silva hands down has the best HL reel of striking finishes in MMA history though. Sad it is almost over.

4/30/13 7:48 PM
duckhuntgangsta
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
ABE FROMAN - 

Anybody remember this?

As far as technique, and brutality, that is epic. Still cannot put any of Anderson's KOs (other than possibly Vitor) as high on the list as Fedor/AA as far as the impact on the sport and epicness in context.

Anderson Silva hands down has the best HL reel of striking finishes in MMA history though. Sad it is almost over.

I remember this KO well, but I have to agree with everything that LnP just said. Anderson > Fedor but I think, in context, Fedor has the greatest KO. 

4/30/13 7:49 PM
duckhuntgangsta

by the way, Mark Hunt deserves a shout out on this thread. He's had epic KO after epic KO.

4/30/13 7:55 PM
Entreri

Anderson's KO of Forrest, greatest fight sequence leading to a KO ever.

Matrix

I still have to give it to Henderson, what an exclamation mark on the finish!
4/30/13 8:19 PM
Wasa-B

ABE FROMAN - 
Wasa-B - No props for Leben/Martin, Smith/Sell?

Smith/Sell was a fucking shocker, there are def props on that.

Leben/Martin was also a shocker but less dramatic considering the stakes.

I dont think either one really had much stake, just that Leben and Smith were both rocked and Martin and Sell were going for the kill on them, kinda like Barry/Kongo I guess. Leben's zombie face covered in blood after he KTFO Martin was so awesome. I think he did both the fish dance against Martin and Sexy before finishing them both? Smith was epic since he still had to go down in pain from the body shot he took just prior.

And, yes, cant forget about the reverse elbow on Frykland, didnt someone just do that at the last UFC in the prelims btw? Thats what im saying about Andy though, he's got so many in the UFC alone that the Netwon and Frykland ones arent even mentioned....just like his Sakurai win is overlooked when looking at his overall resume.
4/30/13 8:25 PM
downthepines
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate the great over woodley was insane
4/30/13 10:05 PM
duckhuntgangsta

TTT

4/30/13 10:14 PM
Surly
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida-Evans

I really enjoyed this one because Machida had him hurt for a bit before finally putting him away. Phone Post
4/30/13 10:15 PM
MarkRobinson
897 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can really dig DuckHunts opinion of the KO. It's subjective as hell but he gives great reasons as to why it's great. I agree with them all.

Outside of all the other great KOs mentioned I dot recall anyone stating Rashad vs Chuck. That KO was so fast and pretty. And at that point, all the chuck fans knew he wasn't making a comeback ever. Even though he just had a great fight with Wand.

Also, wasn't griffin/silva a TKO? he never was knocked out, he just flopped and gave up, right? Phone Post
4/30/13 11:16 PM
Nexuscrawlers
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo -

technically some of the other kOs may have been better, but for knocking a guy around in a leaping circle, its the best , sure a nice fancy kick looks very cool, but the way Aloskvi flew around and crumpled face first after the spin, beautiful  in its violent intensity

Great post. Phone Post
4/30/13 11:21 PM
UGCTT_granite007
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed it. But, all time? Not even close.

4/30/13 11:23 PM
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as big fights go probably so

I mean Hendo vs Bisping was great but you knew Hendo was looking for it all the way and Bisping kept asking for that punch moving into the wrong direction.

Fedor vs Arlovski was out of nowhere, I was starting to doubt Fedor in that fight seeing Andrei's speed and the way Fedor couldn't take him down from the clinch.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.