UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Beetroot juice

5/1/13 9:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GARRA
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone use it? Any thoughts? Phone Post
5/7/13 8:37 PM
FatFrenchFry
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it!!!!
My juicers broken though, and the warranty folk don't seem to reply.

Google the benefits, there a big list.
One that surprised me was the heart and cardio benefits.
Awesome for the skin, drink enough and you can develop a 'glow' that's more attractive than a suntan (there was some study posted about this ages ago). Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 12:22 AM
Ham and Egger
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I put half a beet in my kale shakes. No idea if this is enough to reap the benefits. UT just published a big study on beets that was pretty interesting. There are supplements in case you don't want to eat a shitload of beets. Phone Post
5/10/13 8:54 PM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/11/13 12:18 PM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FatFrenchFry - Love it!!!!

Awesome for the skin, drink enough and you can develop a 'glow' that's more attractive than a suntan (there was some study posted about this ages ago). Phone Post 3.0

Regarding this "glow"... is this from improved health or perhaps from the colouring of the beet?
5/11/13 1:19 PM
FatFrenchFry
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA -
FatFrenchFry - Love it!!!!

Regarding this "glow"... is this from improved health or perhaps from the colouring of the beet?
The colouring Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 2:03 PM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For real?
5/11/13 3:28 PM
FatFrenchFry

U4EA - For real?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110111133224.htm Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 11:01 PM
future_jabroni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's definitely worth trying. I think that you'll notice an energy difference. There are a ton of benefits to juicing beets. It's real good for the heart, the liver, the bowels, etc. It lowers your blood pressure. That's why endurance athletes like cyclists drink massive amounts of beet juice. I noticed that my blood pressure has dropped since I started adding it to my smoothies about a year ago.

My recommendation is to add some watermelon if your going to juice beets. Most people don't like the taste of beet juice, I don't mind it, but watermelon really complements the taste of beets.
5/12/13 2:14 AM
U4EA

^^^ good stuff, thanks.
5/12/13 5:09 AM
FatFrenchFry

Beet, carrot, apple and ginger Phone Post 3.0
5/12/13 8:13 AM
U4EA

Got some beets. Blended it (don't have a juicer) with coconut water and orange. Pretty good.
5/12/13 9:14 PM
future_jabroni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA - Got some beets. Blended it (don't have a juicer) with coconut water and orange. Pretty good.

I think that you'll prefer the blender. There are pros and cons w both. I used to use a juicer but it really takes a while to clean and you have spend more money on groceries because w/ a juicer you have to use more food.
5/14/13 12:02 AM
FatFrenchFry

http://www.nestlenutrition-institute.org/resources/library/Free/workshop/NNIW75/Documents/Nitrate-Supplementation-and-Exercise-Performance.pdf

Nitrate Supplementation and Exercise
Performance
Andrew M. Jone
Several recent studies have addressed the influence of dietary nitrate supplementation on the physiological responses to exercise. Larsen et al. [1] first showed that 3 days of sodium nitrate supplementation (0.1 mmol/kg per day) reduced resting blood pressure and the O2 cost of sub-maximal cycle exercise. Subsequently, our research group reported that enhancing NO bioavailability through supplementation of the diet with a natural foodstuff (nitrate-rich beetroot juice; table 1)reduces resting blood pressure and the O2 cost of exercise and improves exercise performance [2–5]. In our first study on this topic [2], we found that 4–6 days of dietary nitrate supplementation (0.5 l of beetroot juice per day containing ~ 6 mmol nitrate) reduced the'steadystate' O2 cost of sub-maximal cycle exercise by 5% and extended the time to exhaustion during high-intensity cycling by 16% (fig. 1). These effects were highly surprising given that the O2 cost of submaximal exercise has been considered to be essentially fixed. We and others have subsequently con-firmed these findings in other populations and with different exercise modalities.

Beet Juice makes you fitter in layman's terms
5/14/13 1:37 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you gonna shit red fren
5/14/13 3:24 AM
FatFrenchFry

gusto - you gonna shit red fren
I was a bit worried the first time that happened. Thought it was bowel cancer or something.
Lol Phone Post 3.0
5/19/13 6:53 AM
U4EA

Well, I seem to be noticing a difference in the tone the skin on my hands and face has the day after I eat some of it. Not sure if it's really or if I am just seeing things.

Out of interest, how much beetroot are you guys juicing per day? I am just having 1 golfball-sized beet per day, blended with orange juice. Strain it through a fine sieve and down it. starting to really like the taste.
5/20/13 6:34 AM
Ham and Egger
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe in the UT studies they saw best results with 12 beets a day. Phone Post
5/20/13 6:49 AM
U4EA

12 beets per day? That's a lot.

In other news, I had my first purple turd yesterday. Rejoice!
5/21/13 4:33 AM
Ham and Egger

Ya I know man. If I had a juicer I might think about trying it but no way I'm blending that many. I throw half a large beet innmy kale shake and callnit a day. There are sups as well that contain the active ingredient in a concentrated form. It's called beet elite. I cannot attest to the value of it. Phone Post
5/21/13 5:02 AM
U4EA

I've been on a smoothie/juice marathon recently and it's giving me pretty awful wind at times. Not sure it's the beets - I think it's all the banana I have in smoothies. I have suspected I am a bit allergic to them and I wonder if the smoothie containing a lot of "free" banana might be killing my guts. Might also just be the fact that there will be - I imagine - a lot more free sugar.
5/21/13 6:45 AM
FatFrenchFry

Ham and Egger - I believe in the UT studies they saw best results with 12 beets a day. Phone Post
Holy shit... That's some seriously red shit Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 3:13 AM
inf0
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ 12 beets a day.. I try to do 1 a day though

delicious stuff

5/27/13 4:48 AM
U4EA

I am up to 3 large beets per day.

If my shit gets a deeper shade of purple, I will be able to fart the riff from Smoke On The Water.
5/27/13 4:50 AM
Chocolate Shatner
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U4EA - For real?

Actually, one of the study participants tended to glow with or without the beet juice:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.