UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Belfort: 'I deserve a title shot'

5/1/13 2:21 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

36-years-old Vitor Belfort won the UFC light heavyweight championship in early 2004, following years of competing in that division and heavyweight. Now, nearly a decade later, he wants another shot at the middleweight title.

Belfort has proved to be a phenom at middleweight, losing only to champion Anderson Silva, and beating Yoshihiro Akiyama, Anthony Johnson, and Michael Bisping in under twleve minutes combined.

He also lost to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, after taking the fight on short notice, and nearly securing an armbar, before losing via keylock in the fourth round. In so doing, he lasted longer vs. Jones that anyone but Rashad Evans and 'Rampage' Jackson.

Belfort has been fighting in the UFC for over 16 years.

"Let me be clear, I am not looking for a rematch with anyone," Belfort told Bleacher Report recently.  "What I want is the belt. It doesn’t matter who has it."

"I feel that I am starting my career right now. I feel young enough to keep fighting for a bunch more fights."

"I have been fighting and winning all the fights in my division. I think I deserve a title shot."

Belfort fights Luke Rockhold on May 28 at UFC on FX 8: Belfort vs. Rockhold.

Rockhold has been a harsh critic of Belfort's use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy, saying TRT is "a crock of s—t" and that he was "more of a man than Vitor," with "more heart than Vitor."

Belfort declined to bicker with Rockhold over the accusation, saying only "he is a great fighter... (the TRT comment) is just what he says."

What do you think? Does Vitor deserve a title shot? And is TRT fair?

5/1/13 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
T Bag
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRT Vitor is no joke. I see him being a top 3 MW and a top 5 LHW Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:32 PM
JOESONDO
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/01/13 2:32 PM
he is the number 1 contender by the UFC's rankings with 3 impressive wins since his loss to Silva, including a KO of Bisping, who was next in line for a title shot. His only loss coming Jones at LHW on a month's notice. If he beats Rockhold impressively it will be hard to argue that he doesn't deserve a shot.
5/1/13 2:33 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am grateful to Belfort for kicking bisping in the head but he does not deserve a title shot at teh moment.

5/1/13 2:34 PM
Tomato Can
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just saying he deserved a rematch with Anderson a few months ago, and people told me that he didn't want one because he and Anderson are buddies now or something.

Vitor/Rockhold should absolutely be a #1 contender fight.
5/1/13 2:39 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MW's fairly void of legit contenders right now after Weidman so might as well. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:39 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Lol okay, Vitor. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:41 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Too bad Rockhold's gonna push his Hesus in. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:41 PM
InvisibleControl

Vitor took out an extremely overweight and dangerous Anthony Johnson and a top contender in Bisping. Finished them.

He also put Jones in the most danger of his career with that armbar and took a pretty big beating before getting tapped out. (Made it to the 4th round)

His heart seems to have grown. He's got balls of steel. He deserves another shot at the middleweight belt in my opinion if he beats Rockhold who was the last Strikeforce champ.

His only losses since Dan Henderson in 2006 have been to the #1 and #2 pound for pound best in the world and arguably best of all time.

Also, he hasn't been to a decision since 2007.

TRT Vitor is a scary dude. Let's see him fight Anderson or Weidman at the end of the year.
5/1/13 2:43 PM
cecils_pupils

TRT = I feel young enough to keep fighting for a bunch more fights. TRT is bullshit.

I hope Rockhold destroys Vitor.
5/1/13 2:43 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - Too bad Rockhold's gonna push his Hesus in. Phone Post 3.0
Wrong. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:49 PM
yellow wrkahlc

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
yellow wrkahlc - Too bad Rockhold's gonna push his Hesus in. Phone Post 3.0
Wrong. Phone Post 3.0
Right*

^there you go, fren. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 2:53 PM
Wovito

He's an exciting and high-level fighter, but I think the whole TRT thing is bullshit.

Bottom line. Steroids are a material advantage/disadvantage when one guy is taking them and his opponent is not.
5/1/13 2:59 PM
Droppin Fights

If Vitor beats Luke he should get the loser of the M.W championship, if he wins that fight too he should get a title shot. Phone Post
5/1/13 3:19 PM
granderojo

Edited: 05/01/13 3:19 PM
Say he did win the belt... Having a champ that was not allowed to fight in Las Vegas would not look too good for the UFC.
5/1/13 3:21 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, yet in his post fight rage after the Bisping fight he made a point of calling out everyone EXCEPT Anderson Silva. Phone Post
5/1/13 3:24 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, Sonnen gets two shots he does not deserve, and one he does.

Yet, Vitor, is on a roll and want a rematch with the guy who embarrassed him?

I see nothing wrong here.

Vitor is a Rockhold finish away from it in my eyes.
5/1/13 3:37 PM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/01/13 3:44 PM
Rousey VS Belfort.

Make it happen Uncle.

Ok ok... Sonnen VS Belfort.
5/1/13 3:43 PM
Rahjai
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol wut.

http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg
5/1/13 3:47 PM
time traveling 12er
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The clock is ticking on Vitor.  Fuck the MMath bullshit, I think they need to get him big shots while he's still here.  (And before the trt fairy goes away and he turns back in to a pumpkin.)

5/1/13 3:56 PM
Public got Bigg Riggd

InvisibleControl - Vitor took out an extremely overweight and dangerous Anthony Johnson and a top contender in Bisping. Finished them.

He also put Jones in the most danger of his career with that armbar and took a pretty big beating before getting tapped out. (Made it to the 4th round)

His heart seems to have grown. He's got balls of steel. He deserves another shot at the middleweight belt in my opinion if he beats Rockhold who was the last Strikeforce champ.

His only losses since Dan Henderson in 2006 have been to the #1 and #2 pound for pound best in the world and arguably best of all time.

Also, he hasn't been to a decision since 2007.

TRT Vitor is a scary dude. Let's see him fight Anderson or Weidman at the end of the year.
Dis Phone Post
5/1/13 4:00 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he beats Rockhold and Anderson beats Weidman and doesn't fight Jones he deserves next shot. 

I mean who else is there at the moment

5/1/13 4:02 PM
CLINTK9

I want to see him vs Anderson again!

but couldnt hurt if he had a win or two over Weidman, Lombard, Sonnen, Rockhold, Okami, etc. a couple other guys at MW.
5/1/13 4:09 PM
Michael Chase
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - he is the number 1 contender by the UFC's rankings with 3 impressive wins since his loss to Silva, including a KO of Bisping, who was next in line for a title shot. His only loss coming Jones at LHW on a month's notice. If he beats Rockhold impressively it will be hard to argue that he doesn't deserve a shot.

This.

I will be even more impressed if Rockhold wins decisively. #1 Contender fight IMO
5/1/13 4:52 PM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i miss 1996 vitor

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.