UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Only Rashad has made the Distance with Jones, why?

5/1/13 6:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RickStorm
1906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin
Wasa-B - I'm talking the elite or developed Jones that Rashad made the distance with, not the green Jones who went to decision in his first 2 UFC bouts including the Bonnar fight which was his 2nd UFC fight. I would also consider his run from Bader onwards as arguably the best quality streak in MMA history as he has faced only top caliber opposition since then. I heard someone say on here that Rashad was the last legit LHW he beat when Rashad and Machida are actually about the same size as Chael and Vitor.

Anyhow, both Rampage and Vitor went 4 rounds with Jones. Only Rashad has been able to make it out to the distance. Was this a stylistic thing or that they both knew each other too well? Vitor of course is the only one to put Jones in any sort of real trouble, nearly getting the tap. Machida though winning R1, was hardly a dominant round, it just seemed so because no one had taken a round from Jones until then iirc. Rashad isnt the best of the bunch but still made the distance.

Why?

Chael
Vitor
Rashad *
Machida
Rampage
Shogun
Bader
Vladdy
Vera

Sorry about the extra drama Wasa-B

carry on with discussion guys

and VTFU Wasa-B and everyone else in this thread above me =)

5/1/13 6:49 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -
lefthooktoface - Because Rashad was fighting only to survive to a decision, and never went for it .

Rashad is even boring and unimpressive when he wins .

Say what you want about Shogun and Machida. They were much smaller then Jones is and still fucking went FOR IT versus Jones

Shogun was coming off his 3rd major surgery, plus was being forced to fight to on short notice. Shogun was at his utmost WORST and still attempted to go for the win, even managing to take Jones at his best 3 rounds

Shogun is a warrrior.
Lol that warrior ended up tapping to Jones punishment Thaiguy Phone Post 3.0
Banned again? LOL Phone Post
5/1/13 6:55 PM
MartialArtsMixed
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida had only 1 month to train Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 7:06 PM
ruazombie66
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love that this forum has a checks and balance system. If you say something stupid then Later brozo.
5/1/13 7:10 PM
Jons Forsberg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - I'm talking the elite or developed Jones that Rashad made the distance with, not the green Jones who went to decision in his first 2 UFC bouts including the Bonnar fight which was his 2nd UFC fight. I would also consider his run from Bader onwards as arguably the best quality streak in MMA history as he has faced only top caliber opposition since then. I heard someone say on here that Rashad was the last legit LHW he beat when Rashad and Machida are actually about the same size as Chael and Vitor.

Anyhow, both Rampage and Vitor went 4 rounds with Jones. Only Rashad has been able to make it out to the distance. Was this a stylistic thing or that they both knew each other too well? Vitor of course is the only one to put Jones in any sort of real trouble, nearly getting the tap. Machida though winning R1, was hardly a dominant round, it just seemed so because no one had taken a round from Jones until then iirc. Rashad isnt the best of the bunch but still made the distance.

Why?

Chael
Vitor
Rashad *
Machida
Rampage
Shogun
Bader
Vladdy
Vera

Rashad is nearly impossible to be held down on his back. Also his hand speed made up for some of the reach difference so Jones couldn't just pick him apart from the outside like he did to Bader/Rampage/O'Brien.
5/1/13 7:22 PM
thatkidrichard91

not to take anything away from rashad, he's a good fighter and will be a top 5 LHW for awhile, but i think Jon let him go the distance. i think he couldve finished him if he wanted to. when he rocked him with the elbows, he kind of backed off of rashad and let him recover
5/1/13 7:42 PM
orcus

Seemed like all the trash talk and hype got to Jones a little and just made him too conservative. Rashad didn't really have anything for him in any of the rounds and iirc Jones took him down the one time he really tried, so I have no idea why he didn't go for takedowns earlier. It's not like Rashad has a bottom game.

5/1/13 7:48 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

Seemed like all the trash talk and hype got to Jones a little and just made him too conservative. Rashad didn't really have anything for him in any of the rounds and iirc Jones took him down the one time he really tried, so I have no idea why he didn't go for takedowns earlier. It's not like Rashad has a bottom game.

After that Chael fight, I kind of wonder why he's decided to strike with anyone at all. Phone Post
5/1/13 7:52 PM
epic hero

He was only trying to survive to get to the scorecards
5/1/13 7:56 PM
epic hero

Ten eight round - 
lefthooktoface - Because Rashad was fighting only to survive to a decision, and never went for it .

Rashad is even boring and unimpressive when he wins .

Say what you want about Shogun and Machida. They were much smaller then Jones is and still fucking went FOR IT versus Jones

Shogun was coming off his 3rd major surgery, plus was being forced to fight to on short notice. Shogun was at his utmost WORST and still attempted to go for the win, even managing to take Jones at his best 3 rounds

Shogun is a warrrior.
Machida and Shogun got eaten up for their troubles though.

I'm sure Lyoto would of rathered face the possibility of a decision loss, instead of being dropped unconcious on his face. Phone Post

Both Shogun and Machida would rather get finished trying to win, then to run away to try to make it to the scorecards. If you find that impressive or find some sort of moral victory in that, that says a lot about you
5/1/13 7:59 PM
bhealthy

He was being careful. He knew Hashad and was smart, Hashad is still very dangerous....for anyone at lhw, and a few hws.
5/1/13 8:08 PM
Koga

Rashad is the best lhwt after JJ.
5/1/13 8:08 PM
orcus

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
orcus -

After that Chael fight, I kind of wonder why he's decided to strike with anyone at all. Phone Post

I think he enjoys it and most of the time genuinely likes challenging himself. Strategy-wise, keeping opponents afraid of the standup no doubt makes them easier to take down.

5/1/13 8:25 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones took it easy on his friend and swagger donor , Rashad.

And let him drive his Holls Hoyce around the parking lot.

He's good guy

5/1/13 9:00 PM
Rickson's Aura

Rashad is a good fighter that never gets his due. He was absolutely terrible against Rogerio, but overall he has gone against quality opposition and won more times than lost.

I think Jones remembers how Rashad outwrestled him in training when the two locked up. In MMA you clinch and wrestle when you want to, so Jones used his reach to control distance. He hurt Rashad with elbows in Round 2 and a couple of the other rounds and that made Rashad more hesitant to push the pace. Although Jones dominated, for a small guy Rashad had a couple moments. There was the headkick that wasn't flush but had Jones backing up and there was an overhand in round 3 that did the same. If that overhand landed any cleaner he would have put Jones away. That's the thing about Jones and his opposition. His opposition has a very slim margin of error to pull off a win.
5/1/13 9:11 PM
wiggum
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was it the Rashad fight in which Jones pulled guard just to fuck with him?
5/1/13 9:12 PM
Goblowyourself
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cause rashad is the fucking man that's why. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 9:13 PM
epic hero

Edited: 05/01/13 9:14 PM
Wow that's pathetic that you really find a moral victory in that, I have respect for the ones who went in there and tried to win, even if they got destroyed or finished in the process. Rashad didn't even try I don't see how you can find any victory in that

@Ten Eight Round
5/1/13 9:16 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones didn't want to destroy Rashad out of respect.
5/1/13 9:23 PM
DoomFarmer
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thiaguy should be able to post. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 9:39 PM
wiggum
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - 
Koga - Rashad is the best lhwt after JJ.
Did you see the Lyoto fight?

That is the definition of having someone's number. Shad is awesome but he did NOT like the whole counter straight thing. Machida was like a jackhammer on his chin. No romo Phone Post

Not really sure how you can make the argument that Rashad is a better light heavyweight than Machida.

Both lost to Jones. Machida looked better.

Machida destroyed Rashad.

Both have wins over Tito and T. Silva.

Machida has wins over Hendo, Randy, Bader, he beat up Rampage.

Rashad's most impressive wins are Chuck, Phil Davis, and Bisping.
5/1/13 10:03 PM
tefoak
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The MMA Mathematician - 
tefoak -  Jones didn't go to decision in his first two UFC fights. He only went to decisions against Bonnar who is tough as nails and Hashad who everyone pretty much agrees is or at least was at the time a top tier LHW.

Credit to Rashad for absorbing all the bows he did. I thought he had a weak chin going into that fight but those elbows Hashad took were brutal! Changed my mind as to how tough he actually is, way tougher than I gave him credit for. Phone Post

Andre Gusmao disagrees.

Right you are good sir. My apologies.
5/1/13 10:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
orcus -

I think he enjoys it and most of the time genuinely likes challenging himself. Strategy-wise, keeping opponents afraid of the standup no doubt makes them easier to take down.

Yeah I agree... but goodness he's a monster of a wrestler and ground and pound artist. Just way too strong and fast. Phone Post
5/1/13 10:17 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - Wow that's pathetic that you really find a moral victory in that, I have respect for the ones who went in there and tried to win, even if they got destroyed or finished in the process. Rashad didn't even try I don't see how you can find any victory in that

@Ten Eight Round
Lol at some random shit on a forum saying the dude didnt try when he was in there for 25 minutes with him and is one of the only people to have anything even resembling meaningful offense against him.

Shogun tapped to strikes, dude. He's an awesome fighter, but he still said "no mas" after 13 minutes with Jones. Rashad went 25 despite being visibly rocked multiple times. Just because you hate one guy and obsess over another doesn't change that fact. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 10:34 PM
UGCTT_granite007
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/01/13 10:36 PM

Because, Rashad is a bad mf'r.

Jones isn't getting the props he deserves.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.