UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Only Rashad has made the Distance with Jones, why?

5/1/13 10:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/01/13 10:40 PM

To be honest I don't remember him ever trying too hard to finish this fight. Watch him beating down most of his opponents minus Machida before the find ending submission.

He won easily against Rashad but he never really pushed to finish it. It's not like Rashad survived massive ground and pound or submission attempts.

5/1/13 10:40 PM
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MartialArtsMixed - Machida had only 1 month to train Phone Post 3.0

Wrong. The main event for UFC 140 was announced on Oct 6, 2011.

5/1/13 10:41 PM
aka_rtotheoh

friendship Phone Post
5/1/13 10:46 PM
MediumRareMistake
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He found it hard pulling the trigger on his former fiend Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 11:10 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
orcus -

Seemed like all the trash talk and hype got to Jones a little and just made him too conservative. Rashad didn't really have anything for him in any of the rounds and iirc Jones took him down the one time he really tried, so I have no idea why he didn't go for takedowns earlier. It's not like Rashad has a bottom game.

After that Chael fight, I kind of wonder why he's decided to strike with anyone at all. Phone Post

The standup def opens up his tds. He was picking at Rampage from outside, wore him down, then got the tds in the later rounds. Matter fact, is Rampage the only guy to stuff multiple td attempts from Jones?

But Jones has the true double threat of GNP and subs on the ground that can finish with both. Not many people have had this thru the game.
5/1/13 11:11 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
orcus -

Seemed like all the trash talk and hype got to Jones a little and just made him too conservative. Rashad didn't really have anything for him in any of the rounds and iirc Jones took him down the one time he really tried, so I have no idea why he didn't go for takedowns earlier. It's not like Rashad has a bottom game.

After that Chael fight, I kind of wonder why he's decided to strike with anyone at all. Phone Post

I think he enjoys it and most of the time genuinely likes challenging himself. Strategy-wise, keeping opponents afraid of the standup no doubt makes them easier to take down.

I think he does too but he still managed to finish everyone else.
5/1/13 11:11 PM
epic hero

Edited: 05/01/13 11:15 PM
@GriffinQ

Rashad said "no mas" as well, difference is he made sure to put himself in positions where he wouldn't take damage, he went into survival mode about half way into the second round and just wanted to reach the scorecards. When Jones took one step forward, he took 3 steps back. Like I said if you find moral victory in that, that's pathetic as the guy stopped trying to win and went into a shell probably not even 10 minutes into the fight, the difference is he didn't even attempt to try to face the bull by the horns like Machida or Shogun did. Shogun tapped to strikes, Rashad didn't even get that far

I respect anybody who steps into the cage so I'm not trying to insult or disrespect Rashad, I just don't see how you can find moral victory in that, as the person I responded to was mocking Machida for being finished and acting like because Rashad made it to decision there's some moral victory from that
5/1/13 11:12 PM
Wasa-B

tefoak -  Jones didn't go to decision in his first two UFC fights. He only went to decisions against Bonnar who is tough as nails and Hashad who everyone pretty much agrees is or at least was at the time a top tier LHW.

Credit to Rashad for absorbing all the bows he did. I thought he had a weak chin going into that fight but those elbows Hashad took were brutal! Changed my mind as to how tough he actually is, way tougher than I gave him credit for. Phone Post

Andre Gusmao was his debut and both his wiki and sherdog profile have that as a dec.
5/1/13 11:13 PM
Wasa-B

shaqitup - 

wanted to say bonnar,

have nothing else to add.

"I'm talking the elite or developed Jones that Rashad made the distance with, not the green Jones who went to decision in his first 2 UFC bouts including the Bonnar fight which was his 2nd UFC fight."
5/1/13 11:40 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum -
MMA Lives Here - 
Koga - Rashad is the best lhwt after JJ.
Did you see the Lyoto fight?

That is the definition of having someone's number. Shad is awesome but he did NOT like the whole counter straight thing. Machida was like a jackhammer on his chin. No romo Phone Post

Not really sure how you can make the argument that Rashad is a better light heavyweight than Machida.

Both lost to Jones. Machida looked better.

Machida destroyed Rashad.

Both have wins over Tito and T. Silva.

Machida has wins over Hendo, Randy, Bader, he beat up Rampage.

Rashad's most impressive wins are Chuck, Phil Davis, and Bisping.
I disagree that Machida looked better against Jones. He may have made Jones look slightly uncomfortable at one point, but he was opened up, choked unconscious, and dropped on his face within 7 minutes.... That's not a very good look.

And Rashad also has a win over Rampage, whereas Machida lost(although personally I feel Machida won, despite it being a fight with maybe 2 combined minutes of actual offense from either fighter) Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 11:49 PM
yellow wrkahlc
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1a1 - seems like they knew each other really well so it was hard for them to get off. I dunno, maybe just a style thing.
Really? Usually, when you know someone's body very well, I find it's easier to get off.

But, you're right. That's probably why Jones couldn't finish on Rashad. Phone Post 3.0
5/1/13 11:59 PM
epic hero

Ten eight round - 
epic hero - @GriffinQ

Rashad said "no mas" as well, difference is he made sure to put himself in positions where he wouldn't take damage, he went into survival mode about half way into the second round and just wanted to reach the scorecards. When Jones took one step forward, he took 3 steps back. Like I said if you find moral victory in that, that's pathetic as the guy stopped trying to win and went into a shell probably not even 10 minutes into the fight, the difference is he didn't even attempt to try to face the bull by the horns like Machida or Shogun did. Shogun tapped to strikes, Rashad didn't even get that far

I respect anybody who steps into the cage so I'm not trying to insult or disrespect Rashad, I just don't see how you can find moral victory in that, as the person I responded to was mocking Machida for being finished and acting like because Rashad made it to decision there's some moral victory from that
Who the fuck mentioned or brought up or cares about moral victories?

Here's the facts Lyoto and Shogun are just like Sonnen, Bader and Rampage, they all got finished. They came in, tried to attack with the same up close, high paced strategy and all got easily defeated.

Rashad lasted 25 minutes with the same guy that demo'd all of them. Yet he survived, wasn't his best fight but he didn't come out of it on the wrong end of a highlight reel like the others who didn't do their homework well enough. You can get all lovey dovey with your favourite fighters all you want, but facts are that moral victories don't come with a world title attached. They got smashed like many others by doing the same thing everyone else did/does against Jones.

Shad tried something different compared to other challengers, it resulted in a different outcome compared to other challengers, yet he should be stepped on because he didn't go down in a blaze of glory?

You can talk up Lyoto and Shogun all you want but don't say Rashad didn't try and don't pretend like Lyoto and Shogun actually had anything to offer Jones before they were added to the list of losers. Phone Post

You're right, he tried something different, which was to survive to reach the scorecards, the others actually tried to generate offense. So like I said keep clinging on to that shit like it means something. Rashad was outclassed just as badly as the other challengers, difference is they tried to make something happen, Rashad knew he was outmatched and was content to lose a lopsided decision.

I'm not talking anybody up, you're the one talking Rashad up like he was in there for 25 minutes swinging for the fences yet we all know he was just trying to survive to reach the scorecards
5/2/13 12:37 AM
KickYoNuts

Ten eight round -  Also, i can't picture Rashad inbetween rounds thinking, 'fuck yeah, I can't wait to lose my title fight by decision!'. Phone Post

Why not? He seemed happy waiting to lose his recent fight against Lil Nog doing close as nothing.

5/2/13 12:54 AM
FingerorMoon
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It had more to do with Rashad getting into Jones's head. He spent a year mocking him and Jones was obviously tentative. He didn't really switch it on and open up all fight.
He CLEARLY did not want to risk losing to Rashad and have all of Rashad's shit talking proved true.

And even then, Jones clearly dominated all 5 rounds.

Not a Rashad hater here, I think there is a good argument he is the 2nd or 3rd greatest LHW of all time.
5/2/13 8:58 AM
jpm995
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Both Shogun and Machida would rather get finished trying to win, then to run away to try to make it to the scorecards. If you find that impressive or find some sort of moral victory in that, that says a lot about you"

hero, that may be true of Shogun but Machida is as cautous as anyone. He rarely goes for it and tries to counterstrike everyone.
5/2/13 12:28 PM
Wasa-B

jpm995 - "Both Shogun and Machida would rather get finished trying to win, then to run away to try to make it to the scorecards. If you find that impressive or find some sort of moral victory in that, that says a lot about you"

hero, that may be true of Shogun but Machida is as cautous as anyone. He rarely goes for it and tries to counterstrike everyone.

Machida is cautious but Bader, Randy, Rashad, Thiago etc all didnt end up done in by Machida not going for it. And counterstriking does not mean not going for it.
5/3/13 4:15 PM
SilverSpoon1996

Jones hated Evans, he prob knew he had nothing for him, he wanted to beat him up for 25 mins. I am sure he would do it again and finish him in the first round to prove he could.
5/3/13 4:21 PM
chrisbaker

Yea right shad was jones' bro, he couldnt knock his bro out. Phone Post
5/3/13 6:21 PM
dmjr98
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just talking about this. Both rashad and jones had fought better fights. Neither one looked like the great fighters they are in that fight. I think it had alot to do with the fact that they trained together. Both seemed a little tentative throughout the entire fight. I believe that if rashad of Jon would've turned it up a little someone would've ended up unconscious. It seemed like they knew each other to well and after all the shit talking didn't want to end up on the other ones highlight reel. Rashad is essentially the num 2 lhw and only loses when he ignores his wrestling and tries to just strike with his opponents. They'll fight again and I honestly believe it will be a MUCH better fight than their first one. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.