UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pettis: Drop to featherweight only temporary

5/2/13 1:12 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When Anthony Pettis learned that he was the number one contender, but would have to wait for the winner of the Henderson vs. Melendez bout, he did the best next thing and dropped to featherweight for an immediate title shot against Jose Aldo. However, Pettis explained that the drop in weight class would only be temporary:

“A lot of things led to my cutting down to 145,” the former WEC lightweight champ Pettis told The Post when he was in Manhattan last week promoting Metro PCS. “I was tired of waiting for a 155 pound title shot."

The waiting Pettis is referring to has a lot to do with the current logjam in the UFC’s lightweight division. The 155-pound belt has been marred by constant rematches between Henderson and Frankie Edgar. Before that, it was the saga of Edgar and Gray Maynard for the lightweight title. And before that, we had two fights between then-UFC champ BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar.

So essentially we’ve had three or four guys who have been re-matching each other back to back for about three years, leaving no room for new contenders or challengers.

“It’s not a permanent weight cut (to featherweight),” Pettis admits. “But a striker like myself and Aldo, it doesn’t really matter what weight class it happens at. It’s going to be fireworks either way.”

read entire article...

5/2/13 1:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silly decision on Pettis' part, but it's an awesome fight, so I don't care that much.

5/2/13 1:20 AM
DoomFarmer
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He loses anyway, so yeah. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 1:23 AM
18Doc
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is he planning on losing? Pretty sure if he wins then he is stuck at 145 til he looses? Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 1:24 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand the need for the title to even be on the line at this point though I believe Aldo will win regardless. Why not just make this a 150lbs catch weight? Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 1:26 AM
bekk46
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - He loses anyway, so yeah. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I don't think this will go pettis' way either. No disrespect to Pettis at all intended. I just believe Aldo is the superior fighter Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 1:29 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“I was tired of waiting for a 155 pound title shot."

So you decide to wait until August to fight for the 145 title that you don't even plan on defending? This fight makes zero sense. UFC should listened to Aldo when he wanted Lamas and had Pettis fight Henderson for the 155 title. This is screwing up 145 (basically a meaningless fight for the division since both plan to leave) and gives us a less qualified and exciting opponent for Henderson to fight next. Phone Post
5/2/13 1:31 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't make sense on his part hope everything works out and he has a good weight cut. Should be an amazing fight. Phone Post
5/2/13 1:38 AM
MrHughes1991
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHO GIVES A FUCK IF IT MAKES SENSE. I see this fight being a fucking war and honestly I could give a shit who wins or what happens after. Bring on the violence!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 1:58 AM
CherryHugger

Completely irrelevant fight at least its not a mismatch unlike recent UFC championship fights.
5/2/13 2:34 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he loses then he'll be waiting a lot longer to get a bite at the 155 strap Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 2:53 AM
SOO72

If he wins it will turn into an extended stay with maybe an eventual super fight rematch vs Bendo.
5/2/13 2:58 AM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol Dana already told him no when he said he would move back up to 155 if he won the belt off Aldo. Interview from a few months back when he announced the fight.

He's silly if he thinks he's just gonna win the belt, defend once, then go back up to Lightweight. Ain't happening, sunshine. If you win, you're staying at 145. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 3:01 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

CherryHugger - Completely irrelevant fight at least its not a mismatch unlike recent UFC championship fights.
Its another fight everyone wants to see. Randy vs silva was a mismatch and everyone tuned in to see greatness. Don't be lame. Phone Post
5/2/13 3:01 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

Sylvia* phone post Phone Post
5/2/13 3:29 AM
Delightone
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is one of the best match ups this year.
If Pettis works on his lowkick block, this is gonna be one of the potential best fights of the year.
No matter who wins it, the fans are there real winners Phone Post
5/2/13 3:37 AM
KingD87
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda funny that he's sick of waiting for the LW title so he drops to FW temporarily and makes everyone else in the division do the same. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 3:43 AM
slamming
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would he seriously be waiting that much longer for a shot at 155? He is fighting in August and benson needs an opponent for then anyway. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 5:50 AM
TightTriangle
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome fight for sure, but Pettis is in a pretty shit situation whatever the outcome. Win, and he stays at FW for the foreseeable future - lose, and there's no way he gets an LW title shot straight away, so back to working his way back to contendership. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 5:55 AM
Nexuscrawlers
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - Would he seriously be waiting that much longer for a shot at 155? He is fighting in August and benson needs an opponent for then anyway. Phone Post 3.0

this. took so long to fight aldo its pointless.

5/2/13 6:27 AM
raags
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll take an "irrelevant" championship bout that is exciting, competitive, and looks like a barnburner over a "relevant" victory of Aldo steamrolling another undermatched FW contender any day.
5/2/13 6:45 AM
Bishop297

Willy the Coyote - Tired of waiting? He list to Guida then barely squeaked by Stephens. It's not like he's been on a lengthy tear. Phone Post
Cerrone? Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 9:45 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the hell has happened over at ZUFFA?

They seemingly mess up the top fights 1/4 of the time by letting people move around at will.

And if anyone says anything negative, they all cower under the bald guy.

Pettis made a bad career choice here, and it will set him back at both 145 and 155. Aldo will beat him.
5/2/13 10:13 AM
Blackbeltpanda
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not like he was on an insane tear at 155 where he really deserved a title shot. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/13 10:15 AM
Sgt 606
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Aldo Pettis fight and it will be a barn burner for sure, but Pettis' chance to win is slim, because Aldo is really that much of a killer. I think he "(Pettis) should have just continued to get fights at 155 and take heads until the shitle tot opened up. More fights. More exposure. More risk...but much greater reward = more $$$.

The risk is huge, because of the talent at 155, but if he is as good as he and Duke think he is, the risk should have been taken.

my .02. Thanks for reading.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.