UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weigh-ins should be 2 days before the fight

5/3/13 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheBulgarianAssassin
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be in favor of morning of weigh-in. Maybe noon weigh-in then event starting at 7 or whatever. However, about 24 hours before the fight is good also. What I don't like is that in the UFC, they weigh in Friday afternoon and fight Saturday night so that's like 30 hours or so in between. Either morning of fight or 24 hours before the fight for weigh-ins imo.
5/3/13 12:23 AM
diaz 125
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/13 12:23 AM
they dont do same day weigh ins anymore. doo koo kim was the last of that.
5/3/13 1:28 AM
StretchPlum

"I wanna see the best fighter. Not the best weight cutter. I'd like to see weigh ins on the day of the fight"

Agree, despite all the issues with it.
5/3/13 1:59 AM
LokiTheJester
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice try Rumble Phone Post
5/3/13 2:07 AM
JOESONDO
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same day weigh-ins and hydration tests to make sure they haven't tried to cut. Heavy fines if you don't make it or if you weigh in dehydrated. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 2:10 AM
romadant

Eh. Same day isn't safe. Day before they're gonna cut like crazy.

The only real way to fix it is 72 hours before + same day. Make them be within 2% of fighting weight at the 72 hour mark and at or below weight the morning of the fights. I guess it would be possible for someone to cut major weight 72 hours out and stay dehydrated through the morning of the first but I highly doubt it.
5/3/13 2:27 AM
jac0bear
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would LOVE it if people didn't cut weight so I could save the 35lbs I cut to make 170..

I say ban weight cutting all together!
5/3/13 2:31 AM
jac0bear
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

conversation with my last opponent after the fight.

Me: "Hey bro about weight do you walk around at?"

Him: "about 205ish, You?"

Me: "about 205ish"

both of us: "Fuck!"
5/3/13 4:22 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar -
russkisambist - I wanna see the best fighter. Not the best weight cutter. I'd like to see weigh ins on the day of the fight Phone Post 3.0

Amen brother.

As a wrestler i hate doing this now out sucks. I don't cut much weight now. Doing it for mma hell no. A Day minimum. Phone Post
5/3/13 4:25 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys can never ban weight cutting this is silly. I would prefer stricter fines for missing weight. Say 50 percent of your purse. Phone Post
5/3/13 4:56 AM
Nocturnal

There was a boxer who's kidney or liver failed because it used to be weigh ins on same day as fight. It's really a health concern. This is not a human cock fighting where if someone was to inadvertently die we throw them in the trash. These are fathers, sons, brothers and now daughters, moms etc. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 6:45 AM
Stipe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cannot believe that after all those times we've spoken about the problems with the same day weigh ins there are still people who don't know about them.
5/3/13 6:47 AM
muaythai1622
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ibelieveingheys -
muaythai1622 -
LittleJoeMama -
palfor03 -  Wow a lot of people don't realize why they don't have weigh ins the day of the fight.

They don't do that because it leads to dehydrated fighters fighting on no fuel and getting close to dying during the fight. Phone Post

Then they should move up a weight class. This ultimate weight cutting BS is out of control.
This make guys fight at their natural weights. Day of weigh ins and if you cut 20-30 lbs too bad, fight at a higher weight. I was thinking about this the other day. Make it a real fight. On the street you don't get a chance to cut weight to fight!!!! Phone Post 3.0
You don't get a chance to weigh in either. Street fights have nothing to do with it. Phone Post
I think you missed my point. I was saying have everyone stay at their natural weight that they walk around at. I used street fighting as an example. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 7:18 AM
Stea1th

I'm also for weighins @ day of fight Phone Post
5/3/13 9:02 AM
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best way to get fighters competing at they're most natural weight class would be to have weigh-ins either day before or day of but with a hydration test right before they step on the scale. I remember for my last high school wrestling tournament they had us piss in a cup and show it to a non-partial doc before stepping on the scale (this was a day or so before). The piss had to be leaning towards the clear side and show no signs of dramatic dehydration. They would use a more comprehensive test then the ol' color check of course but the idea would be the same.

A system like this would limit weight cutting to only dieting towards body fat reduction
5/3/13 9:13 AM
Zanzoken

Stipe - I cannot believe that after all those times we've spoken about the problems with the same day weigh ins there are still people who don't know about them.
Me too. I am not an expert on weight cutting but I think we have observed that guys will still cut regardless of when weigh-ins are. They have to target their body weight down to the pound; I imagine that is prohibitively difficult unless you manipulate your fluid levels.

Dehydration causes fighters to gas out easily but, as has been mentioned, it also poses a serious health risk to the brain and kidneys. Putting weigh-ins too close to the fight exacerbates these issues. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 11:30 AM
Infamous Ed

russkisambist - I wanna see the best fighter. Not the best weight cutter. I'd like to see weigh ins on the day of the fight Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 11:41 AM
Rhys91
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the way it is now is fine, the 48 hour cut would give fighters too much of a chance to cut big weight and on the day weigh ins will probably effect a fighters performance too much in my opinion.
5/3/13 11:51 AM
Stipe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zanzoken - 
Stipe - I cannot believe that after all those times we've spoken about the problems with the same day weigh ins there are still people who don't know about them.
Me too. I am not an expert on weight cutting but I think we have observed that guys will still cut regardless of when weigh-ins are. They have to target their body weight down to the pound; I imagine that is prohibitively difficult unless you manipulate your fluid levels.

Dehydration causes fighters to gas out easily but, as has been mentioned, it also poses a serious health risk to the brain and kidneys. Putting weigh-ins too close to the fight exacerbates these issues. Phone Post 3.0

Exactly. People would cut weight the same.

And with brain liquids lowered from any kind of dehydration health hazards (people tend to get hit in the head in this sport) would noticably and seriously exacerbate.

Unfortunately, we do not have much of a choice but to accept weight cutting and day early weigh ins as a part of this sport. It is the lesser of two evils.
5/3/13 12:04 PM
DAVID H
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should be same day weigh-ins...
5/3/13 12:48 PM
BshMstr
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think either keep it as is, or possibly morning of the event.

but extending this time frame is simply gonna increase the size disparity, as well as guys missing weight more often....

5/3/13 1:37 PM
Nexuscrawlers
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like same day weigh ins. No one is making them cut weight. If some guys still cut anyway at risk to their health than that is their choice (a dumb one imo, but oh well) to do so and accept the consequenses.

Cut weight all you want but both fighters should be the same weight class when they enter the ring. Phone Post
5/3/13 6:41 PM
Stipe

Nexuscrawlers -  I'd like same day weigh ins. No one is making them cut weight. If some guys still cut anyway at risk to their health than that is their choice (a dumb one imo, but oh well) to do so and accept the consequenses.

Cut weight all you want but both fighters should be the same weight class when they enter the ring. Phone Post

They'd cut still. The goal, the idea of a win or a successful career, is too juicy.
And health hazards would become much more severe.

So "the consequences" that you laconically leave at their hands would be both their health and the sport's image.

Therefore it is simply not an option.

Whether we like it or not, day early weigh ins and rehydration are the only way to go.
5/3/13 6:51 PM
JOESONDO
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OneGloveJimmerson - The best way to get fighters competing at they're most natural weight class would be to have weigh-ins either day before or day of but with a hydration test right before they step on the scale. I remember for my last high school wrestling tournament they had us piss in a cup and show it to a non-partial doc before stepping on the scale (this was a day or so before). The piss had to be leaning towards the clear side and show no signs of dramatic dehydration. They would use a more comprehensive test then the ol' color check of course but the idea would be the same.

A system like this would limit weight cutting to only dieting towards body fat reduction

This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.