UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Chael Sonnen habitually stuck at silver?

5/2/13 11:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In his latest newsletter, Dave Melzer pointed out a curious piece of Chael Sonnen's history, in discussing his loss to Jon Jones Saturday night.

"Sonnen continued a lifetime of being a perennial second place finisher," said Meltzer. "He placed second in the state in high school. He placed second in the Pac-10 three times in college. He placed second in the world university games."

Sonnen's silver run did not end with wrestling, however, it continued in MMA.

"He had two title shots, one in WEC and the other in UFC, where he completely dominated the champion (both Paulo Filho when Filho was generally considered the No. 2 fighter in the world, and his more famous first loss to Anderson Silva) the entire fight, only to get submitted," continued Meltzer. "Few remember, but the one time Sonnen won the big one, beating the world champion (a completely spaced out Paulo Filho, the WEC middleweight champion), he didn’t get the title because Filho had missed weight and thus it became a non-title match."

Chael Sonnen obliquely discussed the pattern, when he appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience last year.

"For me, I had a fight with Yushin Okami who was ranked number two in the world and I was one of those guys that was kind of looked at in the top 10. That was right before I fought Nate Marquardt and it gave me a lot of confidence, but here is what happened Joe. I have never lost a round of fighting, and when I say that, sometimes a guy will laugh because I have lost fights. But, I've never lost a round. I've never had a fight where a judge ever scored a round against me until my last match with Bisping.

"At the point of your story, though, I sit down one day, and I'm on Sherdog.com, and I'm looking at my record. I've won every round I have ever fought. I've never been in a tough fight. I've never had stitches, I've never broken anything, I have dominated everybody and I've lost eight fights, and I've lost all of them by submission and I've lost all of them in the second round. And I'm staring at that on the computer and I'm staring at these numbers like a CEO would his spreadsheet. And I'm saying, 'There is something going on here and it's not physical. There is something going on that I can dominate eight minutes of a fight, seven minutes of a fight, nine minutes of a fight and find a way out time after time after time in the same round with the same move.'

"So, I went and got help. I went and got professional help and I sought out a doctor, Ed Versteeg. I hate talking about this because this was a real secret. This was a real turning point for me was when I went in, worked on sports psychology and got hypnotized.

"I was never the same. I was never the same in practice, my attitude was different. Controlling my diet, being discipline, falling asleep, the way I approached battle, the way I approached the second round. Everything changed, and it changed to the point where, I hate to say what I just said and now it's too late because I felt like it was my secret. I discovered something and I don't want other people to know. I will write about it someday in a book, I will talk about it you know, when I'm retired , but I'm not going to tell anybody because it's competitive edge.

"So when I started seeing a sports psychologist and I finally came clean, it's like being an alcoholic, before you can get help, you have to admit you have a problem. When I finally admitted I got a problem, when I finally said, it, when I finally could acknowledge it and look somebody in the eye and tell them this is what's going on, I'm finding a way to lose as opposed to win. I work harder than these guys. I been at this longer, I know how to stop submissions, I'm finding my way into them, I'm finding a way out and that's what's happening. I had to acknowledge that and once I did it, I never lost again. I lost to Paulo which was the controversial one and then I lost to Anderson after dominating him, I've never been beat since I saw this doctor."

Listen to entire interview...

5/3/13 12:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
discodrew
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More like bronze Phone Post
5/3/13 12:23 AM
BJs Pen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair I don't think this was the case against Jon Jones. He just lost to a younger, stronger fighter. I don't think he looked for a way out in this one, he was just outclassed
5/3/13 1:15 AM
didntreadlol

That specific quote from the podcast really inspired me when I heard it. It was tough seeing Chael lose on Saturday, he's just not made to be champion.
5/3/13 1:20 AM
StretchPlum

Very few people are, of course. But he's having a long, lucrative, successful career, and can step right into a related position immediately after.
5/3/13 1:22 AM
UGSlapshot

discodrew - More like bronze Phone Post
IDK, I don't think he's even ranked top five at LHW is he? He shouldn't be if he is. Phone Post
5/3/13 1:32 AM
JetSetter

Chaels a WWE type fighter. All talk !

He's 6-6 in the UFC and after his next fight he'll be below .500.

Only rednecks that follow WWE like Chael. Anyone with any sense knows he's a bumb. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 3:33 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JetSetter - Chaels a WWE type fighter. All talk !

Only rednecks that follow WWE like Chael. Anyone with any sense knows he's a bumb. Phone Post 3.0
Do you realize how fantastic of a record 6-6 is when those 6 losses all came against other title contenders or against champs themselves? 3 of his losses are to two of the fighters being talked about as the greatest fighters of all time.

With the possible exceptions of Dan Miller and Prangley(I don't know what they were ranked when they fought Chael), his other 4 wins in the UFC have all come against top 10/top 5 opposition. At least in terms of his UFC career, he's fought absolute beasts in every single fight. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 4:38 AM
epic hero

GriffinQ - 

Do you realize how fantastic of a record 6-6 is when those 6 losses all came against other title contenders or against champs themselves? 3 of his losses are to two of the fighters being talked about as the greatest fighters of all time.

With the possible exceptions of Dan Miller and Prangley(I don't know what they were ranked when they fought Chael), his other 4 wins in the UFC have all come against top 10/top 5 opposition. At least in terms of his UFC career, he's fought absolute beasts in every single fight. Phone Post 3.0

Bisping was robbed
5/3/13 5:04 AM
Dirty Harold
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a habitual line stepper
5/3/13 5:33 AM
FanToFighter
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO you shouldn't call Chael a failure. He is more successful than all of us. And how many can say they did to Anderson Silva what he did? No one. If anything he will go down in history as the GOAT's rival. That's better than keyboard warrior. Phone Post
5/3/13 5:34 AM
MattyJ
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, he just came up short against 2 p4p kings, I bet for every 2nd place finished mention above I bet he's won a dozen wrestling tournaments. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 5:36 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero -
GriffinQ - 

Bisping was robbed
Let's entertain the idea for a second that he was... That would have made ANOTHER one of Chael's losses to a title contender(as those were the stakes of that fight) and probably would have granted Bisping a top 3-5 ranking. Yet another badass on his record.

And for the record, I thought it was close but Chael won. Bisping losing the decision was by NO MEANS a robbery, and you're just another poster using that word without any understanding of what a genuine robbery is. Close fights that people are divided on and arguments can be made for either way =/= robberies. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 7:36 AM
WarAJS

JetSetter - Chaels a WWE type fighter. All talk !

*Bum and chael has a great work ethic, and what he did to anderson nobody else will do including weidman, people can talk about him using TRT but Bonnar used Steroids and got dicked by silva, I don`t believe chael used steroids ever, hes in good shape due to years of wrestling from youth to high school to college. You gotta see that chael hasn`t lost to anybody not named Jones or Silva in awhile. and paulo filho screwed chael from getting a world title, chael beat him
5/3/13 8:24 AM
CauliflowerCouture

LOSS Keiichiro Yamamiya Pancrase - 2004 Neo-Blood Tournament Final
Jul / 25 / 2004
Decision (Majority)
Hirotoshi Okamoto
3 5:00

So bored of this dude's trolling.
5/3/13 8:36 AM
MachidasBrew

Love Chael Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 8:40 AM
Jons Forsberg

WarAJS - 

*Bum and chael has a great work ethic, and what he did to anderson nobody else will do including weidman, people can talk about him using TRT but Bonnar used Steroids and got dicked by silva, I don`t believe chael used steroids ever, hes in good shape due to years of wrestling from youth to high school to college. You gotta see that chael hasn`t lost to anybody not named Jones or Silva in awhile. and paulo filho screwed chael from getting a world title, chael beat him

"..and what the rib injury did to Anderson" - fixed for you.
5/3/13 9:48 AM
Barbalos

ChokeEmOut -  Lol..he is stuck in perpetual nothingness. Only in America can some loud mouth dipshit talk his way into title fights, lose them all in embarrassing fashion then come back run his mouth some more and people act as if he is a top fighter. Haha Phone Post

Sounds like Bisping minus the title shots.
5/3/13 12:44 PM
hogh20

KingofBJJ - 
BJs Pen - To be fair I don't think this was the case against Jon Jones. He just lost to a younger, stronger fighter. I don't think he looked for a way out in this one, he was just outclassed

How do you explain the losses to Silva?

You mean you haven't heard?
5/3/13 1:41 PM
shootfighterbull

Barbalos -
ChokeEmOut -  Lol..he is stuck in perpetual nothingness. Only in America can some loud mouth dipshit talk his way into title fights, lose them all in embarrassing fashion then come back run his mouth some more and people act as if he is a top fighter. Haha Phone Post

Sounds like Bisping minus the title shots.
Correct! Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 2:44 PM
epic hero

To an extent it is embarrassing, I always see people list all these fighters he would supposedly steamroll and it's just like dude, he should have lost to Bisping. He grinded a couple guys who can't fight off their back, it doesn't make him unstoppable, shit.

This is coming from someone who likes the guy too, but at some point it needs to chill down a little bit. I respect the guy but damn. How do the antics not get old?
5/3/13 2:47 PM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we count the wins where he was juiced out of his mind before being caught after the first Silva fight?

5/3/13 4:32 PM
BJs Pen

KingofBJJ - 
BJs Pen - To be fair I don't think this was the case against Jon Jones. He just lost to a younger, stronger fighter. I don't think he looked for a way out in this one, he was just outclassed

How do you explain the losses to Silva?

Meltzer's point was that he dominates guys then looks for a way out. I was stating that he didn't do that in his last fight. He didn't do anything but get taken down and TKO'D. He was the one getting dominated for the whole fight
5/3/13 4:37 PM
WarAJS

Jons Forsberg - 
WarAJS - 

he stepped in the octagon, could of pulled out if it was that bad fighters do it all the time, Andersons not a dumbass, his legacy, winning streak and belt were on the line! why would he walk in there with a bad rib injury that could cause him to lose? Im a huge silva fan but I respect chael and what he did. Give someone alot of TRT, and Anderson a rib injury and see if Anderson doesn`t starch them in 2 rounds. He rocked him a lot standing and took him down at will.
5/3/13 5:34 PM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WarAJS - 
Jons Forsberg - 
WarAJS - 

he stepped in the octagon, could of pulled out if it was that bad fighters do it all the time, Andersons not a dumbass, his legacy, winning streak and belt were on the line! why would he walk in there with a bad rib injury that could cause him to lose? Im a huge silva fan but I respect chael and what he did. Give someone alot of TRT, and Anderson a rib injury and see if Anderson doesn`t starch them in 2 rounds. He rocked him a lot standing and took him down at will.

Pretty sure the Anderson/Chael rematch settled any doubt as to what the fight looks like at a level playing field (non-injured Anderson, non-juiced-to-the-max Chael).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.