UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alvarez moving to Boca Raton, forced to sell home

5/3/13 9:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this week, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said settlement talks between the company and Eddie Alvarez had ceased, and that the court case would continue, however glacially.

"I had hope a month ago there was a door opening," said Rebney. "But that door isn't open at this point. So I don't know. The court system is slow and methodical, and we're just going through the process. I don't have any projections of it getting settled at this point because we're not talking. The essence of it is, the promoter is never going to get everything he wants and the fighter is never going to get everything he wants. We have a position that we did everything right legally, and the court has supported us. I thought we were headed down a road, and then everything went real dark."

Alvarez responded, via Twitter.

Edward Alvarez ‏@Ealvarezfight
•Sorry I have been absent lately guys, here are some updates, I recently just sold an investment property in order to wait this trial thing out.
•I didn't want to sell it was supposed to be a retirement thing but that's how shit goes, very happy its sold and I'm packing now!
•I am taking the funds from the sale of the home and moving to Florida with me and my family. I leave in a few days to search out a rental.
•I'll be training as if I have a fight no matter what the circumstances.
•We will be going to trial and there will be NO settlement. I was to see this thing through and let the truth come out in the end.
•My goal is to move to Florida. Train with the best team and coaches in the world, beat this court case, become #1 in the world and keep it.
•I am in no hurry. This has always been a marathon for me, not a sprint. And time will only make me more dangerous when I fight, I promise.
•On the good side, I made a shit load of cash from selling my property so me and the fam should be straight for a while!
•I haven't tweeted because I been renovated my property in Philly to get in ready to rent. It took 14 hr days for six weeks doing it myself.
•Since 18 I have fought at least every roughly five months so I have been learning a lot from this break.
•Miami has unsanctioned fights somewhere for cash. Told my wife I might need to take the drive down there on the weekend to stay sharp.
•Headed to Boca Raton, the schools are really good and the gym is close.
•@SUGARRAYLEONARD I think we both have something in Common, F ed by Bjorn Rebney .. would love to chat.
•Thank you guys for your support. Every tweet positive or negitive does help!! This is just a pitstop, that's put there for a reason . THNQ

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter
My latest explains why Bellator is making a huge mistake in their legal battle with

Edward Alvarez ‏@Ealvarezfight
@jeremybotter wish they though this way, seems simple and easy to understand but they dont get it.

In a piece on B/R Botter argues that even if Bellator winns the legal battle, they will retain a profoundly upset employee, to no one's advantage.

Alvarez wants to go to the UFC, and Rebney—despite repeatedly saying in the past that he would allow Alvarez to leave if he wanted to—has gone back on his word.

I understand it. When Rebney made those comments, Bellator wasn't owned by Viacom. Now that it is part of the media conglomerate, he doesn't have the final authority to make those decisions anymore. Viacom doesn't want to lose any of its homegrown stars to the UFC, and so it is doing everything it can to keep Alvarez around.

But Alvarez doesn't want to stick around. He wants to go to the UFC, where he was promised a title shot, headlining spots on Fox television cards and other featured roles on UFC programming.

But Bellator also needs to face reality: If the promotion wins an ugly court battle with Alvarez, what has it gained? Sure, its most marketable star is forced to stay but at what cost?

Read entire article...

5/3/13 9:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Eddie. He's being led down the wrong path by greedy lawyers. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:21 AM
chawkins
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems really clear that Bellator is in the wrong here. The moment they claimed to have matched UFC's offer exactly, the bullshit alarms started ringing.

Bellator *can'*t match UFC's offer, it's not possible. Why? Because Bellator doesn't have everything UFC has *to* offer.

Sad situation all around.
5/3/13 9:22 AM
pennviachoke
1051 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck Eddie Phone Post
5/3/13 9:25 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

chawkins - It seems really clear that Bellator is in the wrong here. The moment they claimed to have matched UFC's offer exactly, the bullshit alarms started ringing.

Bellator *can'*t match UFC's offer, it's not possible. Why? Because Bellator doesn't have everything UFC has *to* offer.

So you're saying their matching clause is totally invalid with respect to the UFC? Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:30 AM
Pride Wanderlei

I feel bad for Eddie. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:30 AM
KidPittsburgh
855 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Miami has unsanctioned fights somewhere for cash. Told my wife I might need to take the drive down there on the weekend to stay sharp."

Eddie in a smoker would be a great weekend.
5/3/13 9:32 AM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is freakin sad Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:32 AM
cripplersc
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie "Slice"? Phone Post
5/3/13 9:35 AM
ChucoV
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KidPittsburgh - "Miami has unsanctioned fights somewhere for cash. Told my wife I might need to take the drive down there on the weekend to stay sharp."

Eddie in a smoker would be a great weekend.
Definitely. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:39 AM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/13 9:39 AM

Eddie should just fight in Bellator till his contract expires... or will it never? I still don't know the whole story.

5/3/13 9:44 AM
weebrave
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

Eddie should just fight in Bellator till his contract expires... or will it never? I still don't know the whole story.

His contract did expire but they had a matching clause. The argument is whether bellator matched ufcs offer Phone Post
5/3/13 9:45 AM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah yes.. the matching clause, not sure how to get out of that... 

5/3/13 9:45 AM
ortman166

This sucks. Was never really a fan before, but man this is a sad situation. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 9:57 AM
Wes_Mantooth

Eddie will not win this court case. Viacom can and will put on PPV's for him. Eddie's lawyers are screwing him. Eddie can never get the time back that he loses by sitting out waiting for the court date.

He should make the best of a bad situation and sign the Bellator deal.
5/3/13 10:06 AM
Nexuscrawlers
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just let the guy go. there is no benefit to having him fight for bellator when he doesnt want to.

he is gonna be a big price tag fighter that would better serve bellator's interests by going to the UFC and proving (hopefully/theoretically anyway) he is the best in the world at 155.

maybe if the UFC offered him a lot more than he was making at bellator (instead of basically the same base pay plus ppv bonus) it might have been easier for bellator to not match the deal.

they let Lombard go without issue.

5/3/13 10:10 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nexuscrawlers - 

just let the guy go. there is no benefit to having him fight for bellator when he doesnt want to.

he is gonna be a big price tag fighter that would better serve bellator's interests by going to the UFC and proving (hopefully/theoretically anyway) he is the best in the world at 155.

maybe if the UFC offered him a lot more than he was making at bellator (instead of basically the same base pay plus ppv bonus) it might have been easier for bellator to not match the deal.

they let Lombard go without issue.

yep,its not bellators fault.

5/3/13 10:11 AM
Azn Keyboard Warrior

Lol i was in the area for a bellator show in niagara falls and i was thinking of buying a ticket to attend. Then i remember how bellator likes to fuck over its fighters so i continued to never watch bellator fightS, ever again. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 10:12 AM
MachidasBrew

Fuuuck Bjorn Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 10:14 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who forced eddie to sell and move?

5/3/13 10:22 AM
Eatin Applesauce

Att or blackzilians?
5/3/13 10:23 AM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chawkins - It seems really clear that Bellator is in the wrong here. The moment they claimed to have matched UFC's offer exactly, the bullshit alarms started ringing.

This.  Sucks that something so simple is clogging up our court system.

5/3/13 10:26 AM
EmpireWF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wes_Mantooth - Eddie will not win this court case. Viacom can and will put on PPV's for him. Eddie's lawyers are screwing him. Eddie can never get the time back that he loses by sitting out waiting for the court date.

He should make the best of a bad situation and sign the Bellator deal.

Sure, Bellator COULD promote PPVs. But they have yet to do so and there's no way Alvarez will make as much money on a theoretical BFC PPV than he would on a UFC PPV. So, there's no literal way they matched his offer.

5/3/13 10:30 AM
mofomike
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eatin Applesauce - Att or blackzilians?

hmmm wondering this too!

5/3/13 10:33 AM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/13 11:45 AM
Bellator legally is not wrong here, and I generally would stand behind an org when a fighter is not willing to honor the contract they willingly signed. Unfortunately a judge has sided with Bellator thus far, regardless of the fact that it indeed seems that Alvarez could not be equitably compensated from Viacom and Bellator via PPV revenue.<br /><br />As in most situations like this, it is the fans that lose out. One has to wonder however if the benefit of not setting a precedent becomes eroded by the bad press and frustrations of the fan base that just wants to see Alvarez fight?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.