UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: Eye pokers, not gloves, are responsible

5/3/13 10:04 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes recently appeared on BJ Penn Radio and discussed his three-month-old role  as UFC Vice President of Athletic Development and Government Relations.

Last year Sports Illustrated reported that 78% of NFL players are bankrupt two years after retirement. And that figure is undoubtedly dwarfed by the numbers from the top ranks of boxing, where for generations the biggest names in the sport's history die penniless.

The few figures who end up successful like Henry Cooper, George Foreman, and Oscar De La Hoya are the exceptions that prove the rule. Part of Hughes job is an attempt to correct that.

“Athletic Development is very new to the UFC,” said Hughes. “It could deal from everything from life before the UFC, life after the UFC, life during the UFC.”

“Making someone a better athlete all the way to financial development, helping guys figure out what they’re going to do with their money they make in the UFC,” said Hughes.

Hughes feels the other half of his role, government relations, is the easy part.

“Government Relations is very easy, I’ve been doing that for years,” stated Hughes. “I just try to talk positive, and answer any questions somebody had about the safety or the sport at all.”

One aspect of government relations that has proven challenging is legalizing MMA in New York, but Hughes says it is just a matter of time.

“Definitely in three years," said Hughes confidently. "Next two years I’d say 50-50, this year I’d say 75% against it. But it will happen, there’s no doubt about it.”

“UFC is always working on getting, if not legal, better rules in states for the fighters in the UFC.”

Saturday night at UFC 159 two fights were forced to go to the judges score cards early due to eye pokes, causing some to call for a redesign of the MMA glove. Hughes, said it is not the glove, it the man attached to the fingers that is responsible.

“I don’t see how you can blame it on the gloves,” said Hughes. “It comes down to the fighters making mistakes with their hands.”

Listen to internet radio with Late Night Cageside on Blog Talk Radio

5/3/13 10:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
TTT.
5/3/13 10:23 AM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has a point, never understood why fighters would open handed paw at anothers face. If they all just kept their hands closed the problem would go away.
5/3/13 10:25 AM
Crocop'sLeftLeg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's because they know they can get away with it. You can poke someone in the eye or kick them straight in the balls at least once without any penalty.

Automatic point deduction should be the new rule - always give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who got poked or kicked in the balls.
5/3/13 10:31 AM
mofomike
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crocop'sLeftLeg - It's because they know they can get away with it. You can poke someone in the eye or kick them straight in the balls at least once without any penalty.

Automatic point deduction should be the new rule - always give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who got poked or kicked in the balls.

bingo.

5/3/13 10:38 AM
BJ_Penmanship
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're looking at you, Josh Poke-check Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 10:49 AM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FrateCart - Agreed. If people started getting a point deduction right away I think these pokes would go away pretty damn fast.

Same with cage grabbing. But until then we have the absolutely pointless 7 "stop grabbing the fence" warnings.

Bring in the black ref from bellator to sort this shit out.

Agree on the immediate point deduction . Ive noticed in a few fights someone would throw a 1-2 and the fucking jab would be them open-fisted extending their fingers into the other guys face.

If a guy gets poked and the replay shows an open hand , take a point.
5/3/13 11:00 AM
Krampus Shamhalaev
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They blame the gloves but its the same guys that are "accidentally" eye poking.
IMO the gloves are fine. Its certain fighters that something needs to be don't about. One eye poke is to many. A point is alright but if they start taking away some of that pay check it will definitely change. Phone Post
5/3/13 11:13 AM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am starting to think that extending your hand past your "cage" with fingers pointed at an opponent should be a foul. Problem is, fouls need more degrees of penalties. Refs would likely take a more aggressive stance at protecting fighters if there were progressive penalties before impacting the score of the fight. Perhaps there could be positional penalties. Poke me in the eye, or Cup Cheick me, and you have to restart from guard. Or against the cage. My choice. Something like that.
5/3/13 11:17 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

matt is correct..whether it is intentional or not...the foul should be extending your fingers out towards the opponents face...

5/3/13 12:02 PM
6ULDV8
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes knows what's up.

It's an extra couple of inches of reach and if you get lucky and score an eye poke, it will probably win you the fight.

I was taught from an early age that it was a scumbag move.  Whatever.

5/3/13 12:03 PM
Yussarian
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gumball Kid - 

And sunglasses are the solution!

Awesome!
5/3/13 12:27 PM
Sugarfoot
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eye for an eye? Let the guy who got poked have a free shot at his face testicles. Phone Post 3.0
5/3/13 1:25 PM
attjack

It'll take several events for it to sink in but if you get a point deducted and lose a fight because of it you will change your style. New gloves are not the answer.
5/3/13 2:10 PM
6ULDV8
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Closed fists to strike with no fingers or thumbs sticking out.  Easy

5/3/13 2:24 PM
ausgepicht

Ban gloves! Ban guns! If we would have banned bombs we wouldn't have had casualties at the marathon! We need to ignore human beings and start blaming and banning these inanimate objects! Phone Post
5/3/13 2:27 PM
6ULDV8

^It's not their fault there are guns, bombs and fingers for crying out loud!

Straight up.

5/3/13 2:28 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We definitely need more 1 point deductions for blatant forms of rule infractions like grabbing the fence, kick/knees to the balls and eye pokes.

5/3/13 5:47 PM
PirateJax

Same misguided logic gun nuts use, so not surprising coming from Hughes.

Attention: no one is "blaming" gloves, guns, etc, OBVIOUSLY the inanimate object is not making decisions. The argument is this: even though the object itself is not morally responsible, modifying or limiting said object will nevertheless make it harder for people (the ones to blame!) to make bad choices with said object. Is this really so hard for so many people to grasp?

"Meth doesn't commit crimes, people do! Why should we outlaw meth? " - Matt Hughes by same logic.
5/3/13 7:56 PM
CH

Intentional or not there should be repercussion for them happening.

I could see a no contest or perhaps disqualification if a fight is stopped due to eye poke or groin shot. Although groin shot damage can be faked more easily. Ref wont start pulling the fighters short down and feel his nuts.

Right Matt?

Otherwise anyone on this forum could win vs Jones, all they needed to do was to poke the eye out of its socket. Of course they would have to reach his face but if they did then the job is done.

5/4/13 11:55 AM
6ULDV8

The repercussion for poking your opponent's eye is you're probably going to win.

How awesome is that?

5/4/13 12:37 PM
StretchPlum

Good post, Aus
5/4/13 1:15 PM
Meohfumado
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/04/13 1:15 PM
I'm not sure how new gloves would help. I've been eye-poked by a guy wearing hockey gloves...are they going to fight in mittens? With boxing gloves?

Just do what you are supposed to, start taking away points. That will teach people real quick not to paw or try to catch incoming strikes with an open hand.

If its incidental and does no damage, and the guy who got poked says he's fine within the first five seconds...ok, a warning maybe. But if it hurts him, and is bothering him, and if you even have to bring in the doctor to check him...deduct a point when you start back up.

Just like with fence grabs. Incidental fence grab that barely does anything...fine...a warning. A fence grab that denies a takedown? Straight to one-point deduction.

Its the only way to cut down on such things.
5/4/13 5:43 PM
Rearnakedwaffle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Them bungalows be sharp and pointy brah
5/4/13 6:46 PM
sevr1

Meohfumado - I'm not sure how new gloves would help. I've been eye-poked by a guy wearing hockey gloves...are they going to fight in mittens? With boxing gloves?

Just do what you are supposed to, start taking away points. That will teach people real quick not to paw or try to catch incoming strikes with an open hand.

If its incidental and does no damage, and the guy who got poked says he's fine within the first five seconds...ok, a warning maybe. But if it hurts him, and is bothering him, and if you even have to bring in the doctor to check him...deduct a point when you start back up.

Just like with fence grabs. Incidental fence grab that barely does anything...fine...a warning. A fence grab that denies a takedown? Straight to one-point deduction.

Its the only way to cut down on such things.

You sir, are correct.

And those of you trying to turn this tread into a gun law debate, go have that debate in another thread.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.